Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times

Advertisements

Why does being dry make a place not Midwestern? it's just a different type of midwest.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:24 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Are you saying 44N is the divider between the North and South?
I'm saying that in Wisconsin, the population is shifting on a N.-S. axis, with 44N being the dividing line.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
-sigh- here we go, AGAIN.........
As far as Missouri, the SE portion is solidly Midwestern til one gets to Cape Girardeau, then, and only then, does it even begin to become vaguely Southern.
The OP has the line too far to the north. Going by his map, the town that I grew up in would be considered in the South, which is soooo far off its laughable.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:48 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
As far as Missouri, the SE portion is solidly Midwestern til one gets to Cape Girardeau, then, and only then, does it even begin to become vaguely Southern.
The OP has the line too far to the north. Going by his map, the town that I grew up in would be considered in the South, which is soooo far off its laughable.
so Branson is Midwestern? really? its like a little Memphis!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
so Branson is Midwestern? really? its like a little Memphis!
I said SE Missouri, Branson is on the other side of the state.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I said SE Missouri, Branson is on the other side of the state.
A co-worker is from Branson, Mo. His accent, linguistics ('sweet milk') are not very different that what you'd find in the Upcountry of South Carolina.

And looking at the Op's map (again), I believe it shades way too shallow re; southern Indiana and Ohio, which are outliers of the Southern Culture area.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
A co-worker is from Branson, Mo. His accent, linguistics ('sweet milk') are not very different that what you'd find in the Upcountry of South Carolina.

And looking at the Op's map (again), I believe it shades way too shallow re; southern Indiana and Ohio, which are outliers of the Southern Culture area.
And I am not arguing that point at all. Most of the natives of SW Missouri share a great deal in common with the Appalachians, and other parts of the south.
SE Missouri is a whole different ball game, people dont seem to realize that, and lump everything south of the Missouri River into one cultural category, which is not true at all.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:03 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
You can't tell the Southern influence in your own city. Someone from Atlanta or Houston would likely say the same thing about where she grew up (not really "Southern" because . . . ). As a Midwesterner, I can say that ALL of Missouri has Southern influence, and that the portion below I-70 (excluding the immediate St. Louis area) is not the Midwest. It's the South. I'm sorry. I don't deny that those areas in MO (Festus, Cape Girardeau, etc.) have Midwestern influence, but they're not part of the Midwest. That doesn't mean those areas are "bad," just Southern. There's nothing wrong with being Southern.

You can find "Midwest influence" in Kentucky and even Tennessee -- that doesn't mean those states are in the Midwest. The Northern South (I'm including southern MO, IL, IN and OH in this category) has a lot of Midwestern influence, and the southern Midwest has Southern influence.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
And I am not arguing that point at all. Most of the natives of SW Missouri share a great deal in common with the Appalachians, and other parts of the south.
SE Missouri is a whole different ball game, people dont seem to realize that, and lump everything south of the Missouri River into one cultural category, which is not true at all.
Here's what I know of SE Missouri:

I was in that area once (for a weekend) long ago. Everyone (males) were wearing ballcaps with two ears of corn on either side, and were talking about, 'Pulverizin' the soil.' with their Massey-Fergusons; the ladies were performing unsollicited poll dances on the vacant (no band) stage of the bar.

I don't believe that a single bar-crawl is an adequate marker for the morals of an entire area, but it does speak to the culture.

And as I was, at the time, stationed for 6 months in Marion, Ill., which is undeniably Upland Southern in culture and speech, SE Missouri sure seemed like a slightly more Ag version of the Marion area.

Also, Cheryl Crowe (Crow?) hails from Kennett, Mo., and describes her 'big city' as Memphis.

So that also reinforces the idea of 'Southerness' in SE Missouri.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
You can't tell the Southern influence in your own city.
You dont even know what you dont know.
So please tell me, what makes you an expert on SE Missouri?
You grew up in Michigan, and now live in Mn.
Just how much time have you spent in SE Missouri?
You dont even know what town I am referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.