Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 03:20 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times

Advertisements

^ I go through that are a lot. I don't think it's the South because: people don't say "yall", there's no sweet tea, most people are Catholic as opposed to Baptist, most people are German or French heritage rather than English or Scotch-Irish, people have Midwestern accents (light but noticeable)

The change is very subtle, but if you're headed North, you start to notice it around Cape Girardeau. I don't think the average person would even notice that they're leaving the South and heading into the Midwest, but if you spend a lot of time there you'll notice. That being said, I don't really notice a difference in attitude. People in that are do remind me of Southern people, only with a different accent. Very friendly & open. On this last trip I stopped in Ste Genevieve & Perryville. Awesome people there.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,826,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Here's what I know of SE Missouri:

I was in that area once (for a weekend) long ago. Everyone (males) were wearing ballcaps with two ears of corn on either side, and were talking about, 'Pulverizin' the soil.' with their Massey-Fergusons; the ladies were performing unsollicited poll dances on the vacant (no band) stage of the bar.

I don't believe that a single bar-crawl is an adequate marker for the morals of an entire area, but it does speak to the culture.

And as I was, at the time, stationed for 6 months in Marion, Ill., which is undeniably Upland Southern in culture and speech, SE Missouri sure seemed like a slightly more Ag version of the Marion area.

Also, Cheryl Crowe (Crow?) hails from Kennett, Mo., and describes her 'big city' as Memphis.

So that also reinforces the idea of 'Southerness' in SE Missouri.
Oh, puleeeeeze! You are speaking of the Bootheel, completely different culturally than the rest of SE Missouri.
And even in the Bootheel, the "Hee-Haw" attitude is hardly the norm.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ I go through that are a lot. I don't think it's the South because: people don't say "yall", there's no sweet tea, most people are Catholic as opposed to Baptist, most people are German or French heritage rather than English or Scotch-Irish, people have Midwestern accents (light but noticeable)

The change is very subtle, but if you're headed North, you start to notice it around Cape Girardeau. I don't think the average person would even notice that they're leaving the South and heading into the Midwest, but if you spend a lot of time there you'll notice. That being said, I don't really notice a difference in attitude. People in that are do remind me of Southern people. Very friendly & open. On this last trip I stopped in Ste Genevieve & Perryville. Awesome people there.
Thank you, my neck of the woods.
And you are right, you do have to spend time there. Its not Southern at all.
Some people mistake rural for Southern, such as the post I quoted above this, but the 2 are far removed from each other.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:29 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,968,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oh, puleeeeeze! You are speaking of the Bootheel, completely different culturally than the rest of SE Missouri.
Now I'm confused:

The town of which I spoke is Perryville- about 1/2 way between St Louis and Cape Girardeau.

So where exactly is Southeastern Missouri?

Old 10-19-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Now I'm confused:

The town of which I spoke is Perryville- about 1/2 way between St Louis and Cape Girardeau.

So where exactly is Southeastern Missouri?
So were you at Poms or City Tavern?
Both are pits.
And hardly indicative of what that area is really like.
I was born and raised in Sainte Genevieve, I spend a lot of time in Pville, as I have a farm in Ste Gen County.
The Bootheel remark was in response to your Sheryl Crowe remark.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
^ I go through that are a lot. I don't think it's the South because: people don't say "yall",
'Y'all' was the common form of the plural 'you' in Perryville (and in St Louie, for that matter) in the late-80's.

Don't know why it would change, as 'y'all' has gone national (Sajak ('Wheel Of Fortune') based in SoCal and from Chi-town even uses it).

Old 10-19-2010, 03:38 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times
^ well I haven't heard "yall" there, but I heard "you all" And I don't think people say "yes maam" & "yes sir" either. I know they don't in St. Louis.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
'Y'all' was the common form of the plural 'you' in Perryville (and in St Louie, for that matter) in the late-80's.

Don't know why it would change, as 'y'all' has gone national (Sajak ('Wheel Of Fortune') based in SoCal and from Chi-town even uses it).
Thats funny, everytime I speak to anyone from Pville, Ste Gen, or STL, I get skewered for saying y'all. (Too much time in Florida)
I speak to folks from that region every day.
Are you sure you are speaking to natives, and not transplants?

Old 10-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
So were you at Poms or City Tavern?
Both are pits.
And hardly indicative of what that area is really like.
I was born and raised in Sainte Genevieve, I spend a lot of time in Pville, as I have a farm in Ste Gen County.
The Bootheel remark was in response to your Sheryl Crowe remark.
It was downtown, and had a wooden stage, and it was the first place I'd ever seen the corn-ears cap, or met ladies who had the 'Sue' thing (eg, 'Katie Sue; Bobbie Sue') as a common hyphenated moniker.

Outside of the Carolina Piedmont, that is.

If you recall, I said that an area's morality could not be judged by a single pub crawl, but a culture could be.

And I found the culture of the area similiar (a bit more Ag-oriented than in Marion, Ill- which is Upland Southern all the way.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
^ well I haven't heard "yall" there, but I heard "you all" And I don't think people say "yes maam" & "yes sir" either. I know they don't in St. Louis.
No, they dont say ma'am and sir.
My father used to scold my mother for trying to get me to say that, lol
She is from Poplar Bluff, which is as Southern as it gets.
Daddy was from STL, and he said it was very out of place to teach me to say something so Southern in a rural Midwestern village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.