Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you ever live in a metro smaller than 2 million people?
Yes 32 69.57%
No 14 30.43%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:23 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,399 times

Advertisements

Yeah, its amazing Denver has 2.9 million people in its CSA and Pittsburgh area is about 2.5 million people. But yet, in many ways amenity wise Pittsburgh especially on urbanity has so much more to offer even though I love Denver.

But yet Pittsburgh just seems to have alot more to offer. The light rail systems to be similar, but as far as the diversity of neighborhoods, the history, just from walking around Oakland and seeing the educational institutions and the massive hospital (Is it UPMC-Presby?) its huge. Pittsburgh is hard to beat in many, many categories for sure.

Pittsburgh just seems to be a much more significant city overall then Denver despite Denver being slightly larger although I would prefer Denver because those are my stomping grounds, But Pittsburgh really has amazing, amazing amenities for a metropolitan area of just over 2 million and especially with-in the city proper which is just over 300,000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 01:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Yeah, its amazing Denver has 2.9 million people in its CSA and Pittsburgh area is about 2.5 million people. But yet, in many ways amenity wise Pittsburgh especially on urbanity has so much more to offer even though I love Denver.

But yet Pittsburgh just seems to have alot more to offer. The light rail systems to be similar, but as far as the diversity of neighborhoods, the history, just from walking around Oakland and seeing the educational institutions and the massive hospital (Is it UPMC-Presby?) its huge. Pittsburgh is hard to beat in many, many categories for sure.

Pittsburgh just seems to be a much more significant city overall then Denver despite Denver being slightly larger although I would prefer Denver because those are my stomping grounds, But Pittsburgh really has amazing, amazing amenities for a metropolitan area of just over 2 million and especially with-in the city proper which is just over 300,000 people.
Well, in 1970, the year I graduated from Pitt, Pittsburgh had 2.7 million people and Denver had 1.1 mil. That is the difference. Pittsburgh had built up an infrastructure long ago when it really was a big city. Denver is still working on it. Yes, UPMC is the old Presbyterian Hospital, among others. Health care is big there. Very big. So is education.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:55 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Pittsburgh metro is just over 2 million. Plus, since the city used to be about 3X larger than it now is, it has cultural facilities that much larger cities have: great museums, etc.
I believe he was talking just about the city itself, or at least thats what he wrote, he didnt mention metro.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:59 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
I would definately live in a smaller (less than 2 million ) metro! Rochester NY is about 1.1 million or so and offers much more to do than a number of larger metros like Tampa, Atlanta or Phoenix. I live in Houston now which is definately large and like it here alot, but if the cards play right I want to go back to Rochester after college.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:47 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I like small cities; plenty to do but not overwhelmingly huge.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:50 PM

117 posts, read 507,320 times
It depends on what that area would have to offer. Having lived in Chicago for all of my life, just anywhere else is (except for NYC and LA) going to seem small population wise. The cities that seems to come the closest to offering much of what I value(good mass transit, good network of museums, decent restaurants, abundant bookstores and etc.) are San Francisco(1.7M) and Milwaukee(1.5M). I obtained census information from the latest edition of The Places Rated Almanac.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:59 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I believe he was talking just about the city itself, or at least thats what he wrote, he didnt mention metro.
I think he was talking about the entire metro, according to the title. Lol

But to answer the question yes I could live in a small metro, as long as it has things to offer. I would PREFER a larger metro, though.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:23 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Like others, my definition of a small metro is a bit different as I would classify small metros as being those that have under one million residents. While there are a handful of exceptions (Madison comes to mind), I would say that as a whole, no I would not live in a small metro area. From the 1-2 million range, there's more options of places that I'm interested in, but I'm mostly interested in the nation's larger cities and metro areas, places like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, etc. Those are the places that offer the most for me personally and where I feel the most at ease. I don't give much thought to settling in places like Birmingham, Greenville, Omaha, Toledo, etc.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:34 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
I like small metros better. The bigger ones do have their amenities, but it seems like for day to day life there is not much difference. Mostly, people eat at the same restaurants, watch the same movies and t.v., shop at the same stores, and just generally do the same type of stuff, the only difference is that in a larger metro you have to put up with more traffic and longer waits. Bigger metros do have spectacular skylines though.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:31 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I for one would NEVER want to live in a small metro. I also know many others that feel the same way, they just couldn't thrive in a small city. Anybody else feel this way?
That's why there are cities of all sizes...take your pick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.