Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:56 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times

Advertisements

40 Prettiest Cities In The World (PHOTOS)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:00 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Florence, Italy is #1!
Of course it is

I'm glad to see Quebec up there too.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:08 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Paris,France.
I'm french and I say NO.Paris is ugly except some parts (La Défense..).

And a liberal journal saying "San Francisco = the prettiest in the US" it's not a surprise, but it's not wrong I guess.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:21 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,892,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Paris,France.
What? How can you seriously make that claim? Paris is not ugly, and La Defense is probably the ugliest part of an otherwise beautifully charming city.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
What? How can you seriously make that claim? Paris is not ugly, and La Defense is probably the ugliest part of an otherwise beautifully charming city.
Maybe because I lived there ? Sorry but stop to be fooled by the Hollywood propaganda...In France you have more beautiful city : Nice, Grenoble, some parts of Marseilles, Bordeaux, Strasbourg.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I would love to know what criteria was used for "pretty". I do not consider big tall buildings pretty at all. And certainly, in many (if not all) of the cities cited in this article, there are "neighborhood" or areas that are not pretty at all. I'll bet if you looked hard enough you would find a slum of sorts in Venice and Florence and Paris and certainly New York City.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
I'm taking a stab here and say it has to be the skylines...Not so much with "height" but the "architecture" of Buildings and how they blend within each other and also with the natural setting.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:46 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times
lol @ the alley way used as a pic of paris and the pic they used for ny.

there are a lot of beautiful cities on that list but i don't agree with the order and some of the pics used could have been waaay better.

i don't know what cities should be number 1-10 but yeah. just my random thoughts.

*edit*
i've been to a few of these cities on the list...off the top i didn't think venice was THAT pretty. no offense to anyone, its a nice city and i had a great time.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would love to know what criteria was used for "pretty". I do not consider big tall buildings pretty at all. And certainly, in many (if not all) of the cities cited in this article, there are "neighborhood" or areas that are not pretty at all. I'll bet if you looked hard enough you would find a slum of sorts in Venice and Florence and Paris and certainly New York City.

20yrsinBranson
I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Obviously there are parts of cities like New York and definitely Paris which are slummy. For as beautiful a city as Paris is, some of the Northern/Eastern burbs are very slummy from what I've heard.

You're not going to find many, if any, cities that have slums of some sort.

While you're grimacing at rough neighborhoods like Hunt's Point or Brixton, others are fawning over the beauty of Greenwich Village or Knightsbridge. I would guess that's what they were looking at when they compiled this list.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:50 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Paris,France.

And a liberal journal saying "San Francisco = the prettiest in the US" it's not a surprise, but it's not wrong I guess.
La Défense is hideous, but it is technically not in the city of Paris. Paris is one of the most glamorous and most beautiful big cities on the planet. Every bridge is a work of art. Even streetlights are works of art. But I do agree that there are many French cities which are more beautiful: Strasbourg, Pau, Bordeaux, Montpellier come to mind. But maybe those were too small to be included in the survey, I don't know.

No surprise about SF and Seattle being on the list. But NYC? What about San Diego? Or Boston? I'd put both of those ahead of NYC any day of the week.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.