Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:08 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times

Advertisements

They're the toughest. If you cross them you end up with a butter churn in your bed or they tear all the buttons from your clothes or something

But seriously I think it's a teenage thing. A few years back some Amish on "Rumspringa" formed like a little "gang" that sold ecstasy or meth or something. From what I can tell "Rumspringa" is usually just Amish trying pretty benign teen stuff of "The English" like rock music or playing cards or watching a movie, but a few going further with it got attention back in the late 1990s I think. Here's some articles on the "Amish gone wild" media craze, some from the height of it.

Amiss Among The Amish - TIME
Letter from Lancaster County: Bad Seeds : The New Yorker
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM
Amish Gang Members | Amish America
Amish Street Gangs Out Of Control In Richmond | Wayne County, Richmond Indiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 09:45 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,190,434 times
An Amish gang sounds like an oxymoron. There is an Arab gang here called the Arabian Posse or TAP Boys. They were started in the mid 80s in responds to anti Arab/Muslim. Small time gang, so I don't here about them. There was one incident back in the mid 90s when a few members were shot by a Hispanic gang.
As for Cuban gangs, I haven't heard of any. There are some affiliated with the Latin Kings, but that gang is majority Mexican and Rican.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
There is an Arab gang here called the Arabian Posse or TAP Boys. They were started in the mid 80s in responds to anti Arab/Muslim. Small time gang, so I don't here about them. There was one incident back in the mid 90s when a few members were shot by a Hispanic gang.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:53 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Well in some of those articles the "Amish gang" sounded like how any group of friends will call themselves "the gang." Most of the "Amish gangs" were apparently groups that sang together and talked about who they would marry. So at most they were "gangs" in the way music groups "Kool and the Gang" or "Spanky and Our Gang" were gangs, but probably even more benign than that. I guess there were only three Amish "gangs" to be "fast gangs" that got drunk and did more "wild" things.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:20 PM

589 posts, read 756,479 times
That does not include illegals though...Most non biased estimates place the number as low as 20 million to as high as 40 million illegals in the country. So taking the middle ground here we have 30 million illegals, 2 million of which are probably from non-Latino countries [China, Russia etc]. So that may explain why the official Hispanic numbers seem "low" in certain cities and states - they are since illegals are not being counted.

48 million + 28 million = 76 million hispanics. 50%+ more than what is officially counted. Of course my math may be off but there is NO denying that the percent of illegals compared to the legal hispanic population is very very large.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:29 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
That does not include illegals though...Most non biased estimates place the number as low as 20 million to as high as 40 million illegals in the country. So taking the middle ground here we have 30 million illegals, 2 million of which are probably from non-Latino countries [China, Russia etc]. So that may explain why the official Hispanic numbers seem "low" in certain cities and states - they are since illegals are not being counted.

48 million + 28 million = 76 million hispanics. 50%+ more than what is officially counted. Of course my math may be off but there is NO denying that the percent of illegals compared to the legal hispanic population is very very large.
Illegals are counted..

Old 10-13-2010, 01:49 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,320 times
Another statistic the Houston Chronicle reported today; Hispanics live longer than whites. It must be their genes, their food and their culture I assume.

In U.S., Hispanics live the longest | Chronicle | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/7245003.html - broken link)

Old 10-13-2010, 01:54 PM

589 posts, read 756,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Illegals are counted..
The ones who reply to the census are counted [which is likely a small number of illegals], yet non biased estimates show the number of illegals at 20-40 million. If your suggesting we only have 10 million illegals here as the US census believes...then I dont know what to say, that number has been quoted since the late 90's and obviously the border remains porous and people continue to illegally cross it.

Regardless, lets say 10 million illegals are counted...That is still a undercount of 18 million [66 million Hispanics here].

Old 10-13-2010, 05:03 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,804 times
Great information on this thread. It would be interesting if we could see a breakdown from what regions/states Mexicans are coming from and where they are going since they make up such a large percentage of the hispanic population. I have heard people from New York for example say that most Mexicans that go there are from the south. My relatives from Chicago also tell me most Mexicans that live over there are from Durango. As far as Cuban gangs go, I have heard one or two people who migrated from Miami tell me that there is a lot of crime and that there are Cuban gang members, but I again I have only heard. I have never been to Miami.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:14 AM

938 posts, read 4,092,630 times
^ The current crop of Mexicans tend to hail from Jalisco, Zacatecas, Michoacán and Puebla. Also, I wonder what LA's Hispanic diversity is. Probably not incredible, since last time I checked, about 7/10 of all Hispanics in LA (of whom must be a good 60% of the city's population now), were Mexican/Mexican-American. Central Americans do seem to be growing at a clip, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.