Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2007, 01:30 PM

177 posts, read 613,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Chicago was never America's largest city. New Orleans, Galveston, Charleston, Savannah, those cities are just as old as any other American city. Houston started to build up around 1836.
Apologies...you're right about that. It never was. I'm thinking tallest buildings. But anyways...these are my opinions. I know the South has history and heritage, but I still believe that these cities began America's drive towards modernism. I don't feel that can be denied. We're getting into some opinion stuff, so before this get's crazy (as City-Data can get) I digress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 02:38 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld
This is my list the top ten largest American cities in 2030.
1. LA - 26 million
2. NYC - 25 million
3. Houston - 14.5 million
4. Chicago - 14.3 million
5. DFW - 14 million
6. D.C. - 13.5 million
7. SF Bay Area - 13 million
8. Boston - 12.8 million
9. Atlanta - 12.5 million
10. Miami - 11 million
The South and West coast cities are growing at a much faster rate than those on the East coast PLUS they also have more room to expand while those on the East coast are already built about as far as possible. My list:

1) LA- 25 million
2) NYC- 23 million
3) Houston- 14 million
4) DFW- 13.5 million
5) Chicago- 12 million
6) D.C.- 11.5 million
7) Atlanta- 10 million
8) Miami- 9 million
9) Boston- 9 million
10) Phoenix- 8 million

My guesstimate.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:46 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
When I first looked at the OPs original numbers, I thought they were high but possible. But after looking at this link:

Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

I have to come to the conclusion that those numbers are ridiculously high.

Here are my estimates for the metro areas given in the original post for 2030. I am using the metropolitan definitions as given by the link above.

Methodology: I simply averaged the annual growth rates of the given areas since 1970. I then assumed that each metro would continue to grow at the average historical rate for the next 23 years. I know this won't actually happen but its the best data we have available. I won't go into my calculations here, but if anyone wants to see them, then PM me and I will send you the excel file. Populations given in millions.

NYC - 20.1
L.A. - 17.2
DFW - 11.0
Chicago - 10.8
Houston - 10.3
Atlanta - 10.2
Miami - 9.9
D.C. - 7.5
San Francisco - 5.1
Boston - 4.9

I do not beleive that these will be the top ten, especially not San Fran and Boston. I only compared the areas given in the original post.

Last edited by Lucidus; 07-06-2007 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-06-2007, 04:29 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
That is a bad way to do it. Many cities had bad economies at different times. For example, Houston lost about 60,000 people in the 80's. Its industries now are growing, so naturally the growth rate will be higher.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
That is a bad way to do it. Many cities had bad economies at different times. For example, Houston lost about 60,000 people in the 80's. Its industries now are growing, so naturally the growth rate will be higher.
I disagree that it is a bad way to do it. We never know when cities will have bad economies in the future. A lot too, I think depends on how the immigration debate turns out. Specifically illegal immigration. The census bureau does count illegals as well as it can so they are included in the numbers.

If the open borders side wins out then the numbers will probably be higher, esp. in the cities of the South West. If enforcement wins out we will probably see decreases in population growth. Also there is some evidence based on declining birth rates in Latin America, that illegal immigration may start to decrease naturally regardless of border policy. A major recession in the U.S. in the next 23 years could slow it down a lot as well.

Also a trend that I have noticed is that the larger areas have a slower annual rate of growth. New York is the largest and is growing slowly, about 0.3% a year. So we can expect some of the larger areas to experience slower growth in the future due to this trend.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:45 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I think those numbers are actually more realistic. Because I don't see Houston o Dallas coming close to 14 million. I also really have a hard time believing that Boston being a 4.9 million and San Francisco at 5.1 million will keep those cities in the top 10. Look at the game between San Francisco and Miami.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think those numbers are actually more realistic. Because I don't see Houston o Dallas coming close to 14 million. I also really have a hard time believing that Boston being a 4.9 million and San Francisco at 5.1 million will keep those cities in the top 10. Look at the game between San Francisco and Miami.
I am pretty confident that Boston will not be in the top ten, its growth since 1970 has been almost nil. San Francisco would look a lot better if I had included the San Jose metro area too but I didn't because the census bureau doesn't. If we were to add San Fran and San Jose together, they would be close to Miami.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:51 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
I would just put Houston at 10.8 M and have Chicago down at 10.6 or so. The Census Bureau may not include San Jose with San Fran now, but they will by 2030. The areas are so connected already. Even BART is considering a rail line down to San Jose.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times
Wow, NYC has been barely growing! ( according to the link by lucidus )

Anyways, I think that Sunbelt cities will soon have less people migrating towards them. Gas prices are probably going to get out of control, and the sprawled out cities that are hard to get around without a car will most likely become unappealing, unless they improve their public transportation.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:28 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Anyways, I think that Sunbelt cities will soon have less people migrating towards them. Gas prices are probably going to get out of control, and the sprawled out cities that are hard to get around without a car will most likely become unappealing, unless they improve their public transportation.
Or ......................... people will realize that selling out the North is a bad thing and immoral, mmmmkay?

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT...

No, I don't owe you a new keyboard. You're not supposed to spit out your beer like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.