Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you belive that Movies and TV shows bost a City's appeal?
Yes 47 90.38%
No 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM

177 posts, read 431,487 times

Advertisements

The title speaks for itself. But I'm not so much focusing on places like LA or NYC, as everyone knows that the list goes on and on for them, but what about the other cities/areas that are now regarded as cool and it-places. Have they helped cause them to rise in prominence, introduced places that you never heard or never given much thought towards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,706,631 times
Unfortunately because our country is so incredibly dim-witted, they will believe anything they see on TV.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
It's not about believing everything they see on TV, it's about opening eyes up to other cool cities that aren't really talked about.

To the OP, yes. Cities like Pittsburgh and Charlotte are getting a bunch of movies filmed there nowadays. I think it definitely helps.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 AM

494 posts, read 1,610,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It's not about believing everything they see on TV, it's about opening eyes up to other cool cities that aren't really talked about.

To the OP, yes. Cities like Pittsburgh and Charlotte are getting a bunch of movies filmed there nowadays. I think it definitely helps.

I agree, but for me not really. Media only use these locations as a backdrop. They do little to tell me how it is to actually be there. Being at the city is always a better eye opener than seeing it on TV.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,762,751 times
Movies can harm a city's image too. Flashdance and All The Right Moves were filmed 30 years ago, and they sent the message that you had to get the hell out of western Pennsylvania to make your dreams come true. Some people still believe this to be true today.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Movies and TV can really only raise your awareness about a city. Remember that a lot of movies that take place in NYC, Seattle and even L.A. are filmed in Canada. Montana's tourism went up though because of Brokeback Mountain's scenery, however it was filmed in Alberta, Canada.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,859,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Movies can harm a city's image too. Flashdance and All The Right Moves were filmed 30 years ago, and they sent the message that you had to get the hell out of western Pennsylvania to make your dreams come true. Some people still believe this to be true today.
Perhaps. Sometimes tv shows that portray a city negatively can help a city. The case in point is Miami Vice, which is really not a positive portrayal of Miami (drugs, shootouts, etc.), but it was flashy and glamorous and increased Miami's popularity.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
The TV show Portlandia hasn't done Portland Oregon any favors. It seems to incite kooks to think they should move to Portland where they think they will fit in just fine, because of what they saw on TV.

I'd bet that vampires all move to Portland because of the Twilight series and Grimm. That's got to be the reason that we've got more vampires and strange creatures in Portland than most places have.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,900,916 times
Media definitely influences people's thoughts on a place. Sometimes that can mean just increasing the profile of the place, sometimes it is positive, or sometimes it is negative.

Most people of course don't think that what they see in a movie or tv show is real, but I think it still subconsciously shapes their opinion.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:50 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,528,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'd bet that vampires all move to Portland because of the Twilight series and Grimm. That's got to be the reason that we've got more vampires and strange creatures in Portland than most places have.
Nope, they're not moving to Portland - they're moving to Forks, Wash. Come over to the Washington thread on C-D and read the posts we get on Forks. And what's worse, when we try to convince them that Forks is nothing like the Twilight movies - because, after all, they weren't actually filmed in Forks - and that it's actually a really small, isolated, depressed town, they don't believe us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.