Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 05:45 PM

112 posts, read 257,377 times

Advertisements

I'm kinda upset that more people haven't posted an opinion....

Old 10-13-2010, 05:50 PM

442 posts, read 827,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Pretty much. I don't consider myself black in the traditional sense. I'm of (partial) African descent, so I'm "black," but I don't identify with black culture. People still see me as black, however, so I still feel the need to identify with blacks in some way -- and so I still feel compelled to comment on black issues. That doesn't mean I see blacks as "beneath me" or anything, just that I have a different cultural background because of my upbringing.
So all black people have the same cultural background? You can't be serious. Also, what is "black culture". I am black and I there is one, but maybe you know better?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:57 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Are you saying there is no black, or more precisely, African-American culture? Of course there is.

African American culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-13-2010, 06:00 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas1 View Post
I'm kinda upset that more people haven't posted an opinion....
im kind of upset that that your non colored self has looked into the thread that shows well to do black areas all over the country.

can you admit that you refuse to because you obviously have an agenda being on this forum.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 PM

112 posts, read 257,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
im kind of upset that that your non colored self has looked into the thread that shows well to do black areas all over the country.

can you admit that you refuse to because you obviously have an agenda being on this forum.
I thought you wanted me to look into that thread....

Old 10-13-2010, 06:12 PM

442 posts, read 827,650 times
Quote:
Are you saying there is no black, or more precisely, African-American culture? Of course there is.

African American culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This just tells history. This does not tell us what makes you different from other blacks. Clarify what makes you different. How did you escape the history that wiki article is talking about and put all other Blacks in a box?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas1 View Post
I thought you wanted me to look into that thread....
yessir and it was a typo. but all you show is ignorance until you have the balls to admit your wrong and look into the thread you just like plain goofy till then.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
Quote:
Pretty much. I don't consider myself black in the traditional sense. I'm of (partial) African descent, so I'm "black," but I don't identify with black culture. People still see me as black, however, so I still feel the need to identify with blacks in some way -- and so I still feel compelled to comment on black issues. That doesn't mean I see blacks as "beneath me" or anything, just that I have a different cultural background because of my upbringing.
You know I am big enough apologize for coming down so hard on you, but my only issue is the fact that you seem to always chime in on these types of discussions that depict AA's in a negative manner. I don't deny that some of the issues noted do indeed exist, but they're vastly overstated by the OP to instigate trouble.

Then here you come agreeing with that foolish rhetoric. That may be your experience (which I have no problem with since noone knows your life better than you) but this statement:

Quote:
Pretty much. While there are a few exceptions (Cascade in Atlanta, Country Club Hills, IL, Prince Georges County MD, etc.) the vast majority black neighborhoods are pretty ghetto and have high crime rates. It's not politically correct to say it, but it's the truth.

However, plenty of middle-class integrated cities and neighborhoods are safe.

As to the why? Sociologists have tried to answer that question for years. I think it's a combination of social, cultural and economic factors.
....is just a flat-out lie.

Maybe that is the type of environment that you are more familiar with, but not me. You need to stray away from generalizations of this nature. Speak for yourself; I didn't experience a true "ghetto" until I was almost out of high school. You admittedly don't identify with blacks or embrace AA culture as your own, but seem to pop in whenever mud slinging opportunities arise. That is what it often appears, hence the reason posters attack you the way they do. They're offended by some of your statements and generalizations about a culture that you don't even embrace as your own.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:37 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
I post on most "black" threads, negative and positive. I stay away from ones that I really can't relate to at all, such as the city vs. city thread on "best hip-hop" (I don't listen to rap), but I comment on most others, even if it embraces blacks and black culture in a positive light.

As far as the second one, maybe it's different in the South, but in the Midwest, black neighborhoods tend to be crime-ridden. The south side of Chicago, the north side of Kalamazoo, the north side of Minneapolis, the Phillips neighborhood in Minneapolis, the east side of St. Paul, virtually all of Gary, IN, Flint and Detroit, etc. I can't think of very many Midwestern predominately-black areas that would be considered "nice" (Vandalia, MI, Lathrup Village, MI, Olympia Village, IL and Country Club Hills, IL are the only ones I can think of).

Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
What the hell do you mean "Black culture"?
I'm white, but there's no white culture to follow. There's always going to be stereotypes (I'm an Italian American from NJ, What comes to mind?? Tony soprano or Snooki?) You don't say "Well I don't consider myself XYZ" because of what the American media banks off of- That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Just be proud and be who you are, you seemed ashamed to be black.

Black "Culture" really just means black history. The Thug scene is predominately black because they're rooted from the urban black ghettos- Just like trailer trash comes from white ghettos. If you want to consider that "culture" than you're not thinking logically.

I've said it before in this thread, but I don't think you got the message. This nation is a robbed nation, robbed by the Europeans. Europeans came here with opportunities and gained wealth for generations- Blacks were forced here, put into slavery and weren't aloud to get an education. Families were broken apart, they were riddle with poverty, and they were hated and treated like animals. You don't expect the black communities to be happy places, crime was always in their communities because of the history. It's possible for blacks to overcome the ghetto, but it's the damn truth that many of them feel that "where they come from" is all they're worth, so a lot of them never amount to anything. (especially in a society where wealth runs everything)- It's a cycle, poverty breeds poverty.
It's getting better, but until the "thug/ghetto" mentality is shaken off, the black community will always be at the bottom of the bucket.

I've had a long term relationship with a black girl, I lived around black people all my life, and I'm not a racist. There's nothing you can do about the past, stop blaming the entire black race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.