Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 08:17 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil
"im in denial??? how am i in denial if i can take you to a thread that shows 20+ NICE BLACK AREAS IN ONLY ONE POST IN over 20 - 30 page thread.

are you mad that i am more educated then you and don't listen to the media to believe every black are and every black area in every major city is bad??

no my friend your in denial and are not educated what so ever which is why you probably wont take my advice and search for the nice black areas thread on city data."

Terribly sorry but you're not educated if you spell 'you're' as 'your'. Also, it should be 'than' rather than 'then'
maybe you should take your time to read. i purposly take little regards to grammar on a forum site.

so if you have a problem with my grammar send me a message telling me but do not switch the subject of the topic to how i write.

and when i speak about education i was referring to the fact that i do not listen to media and can do my own studies and research to know my own things.

professors now a days depending on the subject sometimes dont even care about the students grammar. get over it.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:30 PM

226 posts, read 381,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
maybe you should take your time to read. i purposly take little regards to grammar on a forum site.

so if you have a problem with my grammar send me a message telling me but do not switch the subject of the topic to how i write.

and when i speak about education i was referring to the fact that i do not listen to media and can do my own studies and research to know my own things.

professors now a days depending on the subject sometimes dont even care about the students grammar. get over it.
Then they are rubbish professors.

Also, I find it interesting how the first spot-on post (by Caleb Longstreet) is being completely ignored.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Also, I find it interesting how the first spot-on post (by Caleb Longstreet) is being completely ignored.
what post number is it?

Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I can see that there considering that the city is about 40% Black and crime tends to be a young person's game, in which Black folks are on average younger.

I just think that people don't get the proper perspective about Black neighborhoods and how they can vary, even within the same city/area. Much of that is due to a lack of exposure to people that live in such neighborhoods.
Chicago is 33% Black(2009 ACS estimates). 79% of the murder victims being Black is ugly, especially when the city is not even majority Black. You make somewhat of a good point that crime is primarily a youth problem, but that argument falls short considering Chicago also has a large young Hispanic population. Of the 409,000 students enrolled in the Chicago public school district, Hispanics make up 41% of the student population. While there are gangs and poverty in Chicago's Latino community too, there is more of sense of a family. The unemployment among Hispanics is not as high as Blacks and there are less single mother or parent households in their community. Sociologist say poverty breeds crime. While that maybe is true, the root of the problem is deeper than that.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-14-2010 at 10:55 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Chicago is 33% Black(2009 ACS estimates). 79% of the murder victims being Black is ugly, especially when the city is not even majority Black. You make somewhat of a good point that crime is primarily a youth problem, but that argument falls short considering Chicago also has a large young Hispanic population. Of the 409,000 students enrolled in the Chicago public school district, Hispanics make up 41% of the student population. While there are gangs and poverty in Chicago's Latino community too, there is more of sense of a family. The unemployment among Hispanics is not as high as Blacks and there are less single mother or parent households in their community. Sociologist say poverty breeds crime. While that maybe is true, the root of the problem is deeper than that.
that must be a chicago thing, because the bronx is majority latino and i remember a couple years back my teachers saying it was almost 90 percent single parent homes.

i don't know how Chicago is but here in NYC puerto ricans are the largest Hispanic ethnic group and have a huge crisis with single parent homes just like African Americans.

but in NYC Caribbean and African blacks who are integrated in the black community have a great sense of family. you will not find many single parent homes from them.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:31 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
but how many Hispanics are reported and how many aren't? Meaning, how many aren't counted.

Also, what about unreported crimes? Just wondering.....BTW, this says 34.6% and was 36% in 2000: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...ord=&_industry=

Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:

By who? His post also doesn't get into the complexities of things that were mentioned in a post right after his. I actually agree with a lot of what he is saying, but also we have to look at one's circumstances as well.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:36 AM

This thread is not just regarding NYC statistics. It is the General US forum.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
By who? His post also doesn't get into the complexities of things that were mentioned in a post right after his. I actually agree with a lot of what he is saying, but also we have to look at one's circumstances as well.
But that's precisely his point. Regardless of one's circumstances they still have responsibility and the ability (no matter how stifled) to make day to day decisions. If you deny that, you're doing a disservice to those that have actually gotten out of their terrible life situation and done better for themselves.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
But that's precisely his point. Regardless of one's circumstances they still have responsibility and the ability (no matter how stifled) to make day to day decisions. If you deny that, you're doing a disservice to those that have actually gotten out of their terrible life situation and done better for themselves.
I'm not denying that at all, but we also have to honest about how certain groups have had to deal with different circumstances as a whole as well. Hence, my reference to a post after his. Not everyone's struggle is the same is what I was alluding to. So, to deny that would also do a disservice to people that need to get out of a tough situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.