Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,334,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Here are street views of some predominantly black neighborhoods that are not the "worst in the city".

Cascade Heights, Atlanta, GA

cascade heights ga - Google Maps

Ladera Heights, CA (Los Angeles)

ladera heights ca - Google Maps

Missouri City, TX (Houston)

missouri city tx - Google Maps

Miramar, FL (South Florida)

miramar fl - Google Maps

and thats only a sample. great post.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:57 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,848,288 times
All this talk about who's what race and nationality is nonsense; Why are we arguing about sub-groups when we having even appreciate each other has HUMAN BEINGs.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:52 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,305,515 times
Yes, I agree MrRedd...

But I think this whole issue has more to do with economics and employment or job availability in certain areas...

Just as a general observation...(regardless of community whether urban or rural)...the more people who are employed, working, and bringing home healthy pay checks, the better off that community seems to be...

I notice the higher the unemployment in any given area, the more time people have to do or create mischief.

When you work, you tend to run a tighter ship, in that you come home, are tired, and go to bed...

Also home and or property ownership...communities where people own, and are paying for their homes or land, tend to make people more responsible...

Where as communities where most people rent...or live in subsidized housing, tend to attract those who may be less socially mature or responsible...regardless of color...

So my answer is, you have to look beyond just color, you have to look at conditions behind the people,

1.Employment % in area
2. Home ownership vs rental in area
3. Job availabiltiy..

It's easy and lazy to just look at color as being the reason, but upon closer examination that really makes no sense at all...

For instance, you don't see employed people making $40,000-$80,000 a year, hanging out on the street corner at night drinking a 40.

Usually people who do that are unemployed, and or unemployable....

So education and employment are part of the solution...

But also...there will always be a perminant criminal class...young males with criminal records, for minor or major reasons, who cannot assimulate back into society...

If your 17 or 19 and already have a record...your not left with much options...

So if you have 1000 young males living in a close small urban community, who cannot get a job...then their going to get by however they can...and that's where a lot of the crime comes from...
Or at least the 'street crime'...the kind that catches the evening news type of crimes...

But the crime spectrum it'self, and classification of such, spreads far out and beyond the sprawling urban streets...

But again MrRedd...realize people see what they want to see...and if a racist person wants to believe in their heart that American 'blacks' are just born with a 'gene' that makes them more inclinded to commit crimes...no amount of reason or logic can change that view in them...

Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,529,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Yes, I agree MrRedd...

But I think this whole issue has more to do with economics and employment or job availability in certain areas...

Just as a general observation...(regardless of community whether urban or rural)...the more people who are employed, working, and bringing home healthy pay checks, the better off that community seems to be...

I notice the higher the unemployment in any given area, the more time people have to do or create mischief.

When you work, you tend to run a tighter ship, in that you come home, are tired, and go to bed...

Also home and or property ownership...communities where people own, and are paying for their homes or land, tend to make people more responsible...

Where as communities where most people rent...or live in subsidized housing, tend to attract those who may be less socially mature or responsible...regardless of color...

So my answer is, you have to look beyond just color, you have to look at conditions behind the people,

1.Employment % in area
3. Job availabiltiy..

It's easy and lazy to just look at color as being the reason, but upon closer examination that really makes no sense at all...

For instance, you don't see employed people making $40,000-$80,000 a year, hanging out on the street corner at night drinking a 40.

But also...there will always be a perminant criminal class...young males with criminal records, for minor or major reasons, who cannot assimulate back into society...

So if you have 1000 young males living in a close small urban community, who cannot get a job...then their going to get by however they can...and that's where a lot of the crime comes from...
Or at least the 'street crime'...the kind that catches the evening news type of crimes...

But the crime spectrum it'self, and classification of such, spreads far out and beyond the sprawling urban streets...

But again MrRedd...realize people see what they want to see...and if a racist person wants to believe in their heart that American 'blacks' are just born with a 'gene' that makes them more inclinded to commit crimes...no amount of reason or logic can change that view in them...
Good post.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:11 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,986,119 times
Hunts Point and Mott Haven are probably the most notorious hoods in NYC. These were the south Bronx hoods with abandoned lots, postitutes, junkies, gangs, drugs, shootouts, etc...Hunts point even once reached a murder rate of 400 + ...and currently these two neighborhoods are # 2 and # 3 in the city in terms of violent crime rate.

Hunts Point is 75% Hispanic...While Mott Haven is 70% hispanic and virtually all hispanic outside of it's many housing
projects.

But anyways as to the topic, I don't believe that is always the case. In the case of NYC, both black and hispanic neighborhoods are home to the highest crime rates.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:52 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,613,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Yes, I agree MrRedd...

1.Employment % in area
3. Job availabiltiy..

I never once heard of anyone in this thread blame a persons genes for being an inclination to commit more crime. I think it's cultural.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:56 PM

72,798 posts, read 62,114,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
I never once heard of anyone in this thread blame a persons genes for being an inclination to commit more crime. I think it's cultural.
The thing is, there are many people on other threads who would try to argue that and bring up the "gene" factor.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Hunts Point and Mott Haven are probably the most notorious hoods in NYC. These were the south Bronx hoods with abandoned lots, postitutes, junkies, gangs, drugs, shootouts, etc...Hunts point even once reached a murder rate of 400 + ...and currently these two neighborhoods are # 2 and # 3 in the city in terms of violent crime rate.

Hunts Point is 75% Hispanic...While Mott Haven is 70% hispanic and virtually all hispanic outside of it's many housing
projects.

But anyways as to the topic, I don't believe that is always the case. In the case of NYC, both black and hispanic neighborhoods are home to the highest crime rates.

i heard hunt point is also the prostitution capitol of nyc. is prostitution still a issue their?

Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
well i will agree with you on that

Old 10-22-2010, 01:51 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,305,515 times
Quote:
It's really not even 'cultural'...yes, and no, but that 'culture' has nothing to do with 'color'...it has to do with 'enviornment'...

Like I wrote above...
In any area where you have a dense population, and high unemployment, and lack of home ownership...you will have similuar issues...

Today i was driving through the rural south land...and saw plenty of people with African ancestry (not heritage, but ancentry)...living in nice country or rural towns and neihborhoods...and non of the urban conditions or habits were evident...

Also...even amongst discusions with the older generation...you will find a difference in acceptable 'norms'...

I gotta go, in a shop, will continue this later...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.