Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 09:43 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
First off, I wasn't the one who first mentioned slavery, the previous poster did. So apparently blacks DO have to mention slavery when talking about racial realities. And no other ethnic/religious/sexual minority group is killing themselves at the rate of African-Americans. To say that racist whites are the greatest threat to AA's is weak. There are no longer laws that prevent blacks from achieving their full potential. Does racism still exist? Sure it does. But so does sexism, homophobia, and religious bigotry.And within all those other groups they have managed to succeed and thrive in America. You don't see gays offing each other at the sales rack at Ikea do you? (bad joke, I know)
Please-and Americans tend to talk about the Founding Fathers when talking about political issues. History is a continuum, not a simple snapshot to be used to justify prejudice and misguided beliefs. Slavery will forever be etched in our history where we look back with thanks for the sacrifices of or ancestors. If you can't handle it, tough. We're Americans and African-American culture is as American as apple pie.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:37 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Oh lord. Calm down. I can't ask a question now? Contributors can mean a lot of things. I didn't know if you meant as in contributing to American society in a positive or negative way. And I know the average AA person is hard working and decent, like most Americans. But you can't ignore the problems within the community.
i never try to ignore the issue but the issue wont be solved if some blacks ignore it while others generalize all blacks for it.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
That's totally false. I'm part black (tri-racial). I live in a city that's 89% white -- I've yet to be run out. I know people who are black -- not mixed, just black -- that have no problems living here. Whites don't try to run them out. I've visited surrounding towns that are 100% white -- I haven't been lynched yet.

Maybe what you're describing is just a Southern thing -- but I know plenty of blacks in predominately-white Atlanta suburbs (Suwanee, Dacula) who haven't been chased out with pitchforks. This isn't 1950, it's 2010. Such problems, if they exist at all, are VERY isolated.

Why so bitter and fearful? White people aren't the scary, racist monsters you seem to think they are.
White flight is real and still exist. Take it from someone that lives in the Chicago metro. Just a few months ago a black family was denied a $ 1.8 million house in the Bridgeport neighborhood of Chicago. They were willing willing to pay full price, but the white/non black owner refused to sell them the house. I live in the south suburbs and this region was majority white 30 years ago. 30 years later and the south suburbs east of I-57 is majority Black.

Maybe Minnesota is different, but whenever a town, neighborhood or w/e surpass a 10-17% black capacity, white people start to get a little worried. Your town is 89% white and Minnesota black population is probably not even 5%. Your white buddies haven't been put to the test.

And no its not a southern thing. This country seem to be behind in racial acceptance(not to be confuse with tolerance), especially the Midwest.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:16 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
White flight is real and still exist. Take it from someone that lives in the Chicago metro. Just a few months ago a black family was denied a $ 1.8 million house in the Bridgeport neighborhood of Chicago. They were willing willing to pay full price, but the white/non black owner refused to sell them the house. I live in the south suburbs and this region was majority white 30 years ago. 30 years later and the south suburbs east of I-57 is majority Black.

Maybe Minnesota is different, but whenever a town, neighborhood or w/e surpass a 10-17% black capacity, white people start to get a little worried. Your town is 89% white and Minnesota black population is probably not even 5%. Your white buddies haven't been put to the test.

And no its not a southern thing. This country seem to be behind in racial acceptance(not to be confuse with tolerance), especially the Midwest.
so even if a black family is wealthy which means they worked hard to become what they are they are still denied a house lmaoo. To me that isn't even taking care of your neighborhood that is more like envious and jealousy. LOL. How did the black family solve their incident?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:43 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
First of all, the Blacks are their own worst enemy card is weak as, every group is their own worst enemy due to being around those like you more likely than not.

Also, to just disregard history would be a mistake, because we don't disregard other aspects of American history in regards to how our government works or in terms of founding fathers, among other things.

Many people in prison are in there for non violent offenses and if you did some research, you would see disparities in terms of sentencing and legal representation. Yeah, no one should do drugs, but when you have a different standard of justice, then what does that say about us as a nation?

Also, get over another stereotypical view of what Blacks are talking about in terms of race and that is the mention of slavery. Blacks don't have to mention slavery to talk about racial realities that many deal with, regardless of income level. The recent home loan fiasco is an example of this and even when Blacks have the same or similar income level of Whites, they still were more likely to get suvh crappy loans.

Even the educational thing is overblown, as 4 times more Black males ages 18-24 are in college or some type of post high school educational program than in prison. That's not counting those that are just working or that are in the military. I can post high schools here in NY where the Black graduation rate is higher than the White graduation rate in the same school. There are others where the gap is small and the Black grad. rate is well above the national average of 70%. So, it isn't as simplistic as one might think.
This is one of the few good posts in this thread.

Also, there is no doubt that blacks can be our own worst enemy. But that's because of decades and decades of psychological, physical, emotional, and socio-economic manipulation by whites. Racism in the traditional sense (terrorism and white sheets) isn't the huge problem anymore (thought it still happens). It's the fact that the system is already in place. Most blacks born to poor inner city parents are doomed before they're born just like their parents were.

Yes, we are our own worst enemy right now, but only because generations of manipulation in a variety of ways (that still goes on today) have taught us to do that. And imo any white person (or non-white person that claims whites have nothing to do with our problems) that points out that we're our own worst enemy but doesn't point out why that is the case and does nothing to try to help the situation needs to be quiet about it.

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 10-28-2010 at 03:44 AM..

Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 AM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
First off, I wasn't the one who first mentioned slavery, the previous poster did. So apparently blacks DO have to mention slavery when talking about racial realities. And no other ethnic/religious/sexual minority group is killing themselves at the rate of African-Americans. To say that racist whites are the greatest threat to AA's is weak. There are no longer laws that prevent blacks from achieving their full potential. Does racism still exist? Sure it does. But so does sexism, homophobia, and religious bigotry.And within all those other groups they have managed to succeed and thrive in America. You don't see gays offing each other at the sales rack at Ikea do you? (bad joke, I know)
My point is that you don't have to mention it and even if it is mentioned, it's effects are still relevant to some degree whether people don't want to hear it or not.

Again, most people are going to get hurt/killed most likely by people like them. So, that isn't anything exclusive and crosses cultural, racial, ethnic and other groups.

Also, just because laws change doesn't mean that people do. In fact, many of the civil rights laws have actually helped Whites by way of White women being the biggest group in terms of race and gender and in turn they are the biggest historically disenfranchised group in the U.S.

Also, if you look at violent crime rates, they have actually declined over the years for all groups, including Blacks.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,763 times
Well is the OP rejects everybody's explanations, I would like to hear his reasoning regarding the existence of poor, black inner-city communities...

Old 10-28-2010, 10:51 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
so even if a black family is wealthy which means they worked hard to become what they are they are still denied a house lmaoo. To me that isn't even taking care of your neighborhood that is more like envious and jealousy. LOL. How did the black family solve their incident?
The black couple end up moving to either Bronzeville or suburban Country Club Hills. What kazopilot seem to miss is that African Americans been moving to predominatetly white neighborhoods for years and made efforts to integrate, but so often we face hostility or they move out if they see too many of us moving in, which now becomes white flight. Next thing you know the neighborhood made a transition from majority white to majority black. Its usually the public schools that shift demographics first. I'm all for integration and diversity but I understand those of us that prefer to live in predominately black neighborhoods.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-28-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 10-28-2010, 11:02 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
^I was just going to say that. A town could be 80-90 percent white but the public school can be around 70 65 percent white which is still a little high. You could argue that minorities have more kids but thats still a pretty . Once the school gets "too diverse" they might send there kids to school in another district or private school then eventually other whites (not all) will see the town as undesireable because of the school (ESP. if the scores are low) and if there is some crime and gang activity then you can forget it.

Then demographic changes happen with in a matter of ten years

If its a working clas town then it'll probly happen faster than a solid middle class town but even then off the top of my head i cane name quite a few solid middle clas areas that have gone thru this in the chicago area .

. Happens all the time, but probly not as intense as it use to. So yes white flight is definitely real and prejudices definitely exist

Last edited by mas23; 10-28-2010 at 11:14 AM..

Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
You've obviously never been to Africa
He or she just see's what he see on television, shame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.