Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboy06 View Post
And also you look at the top 10 cities with the most crime and they all have a high percentage of blacks?
Those cities also have some of the highest poverty rates, not to mention other problems. I have to bring this up. Cascade Heights in Atlanta is predominantly Black and it is a safe place to live. So really, race is just a correlation. You have to study the reasons why people committ crimes.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:53 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That can go the other way due to media portrayals or limited views of Blacks. For instance, if you live in say Wisconsin or Minnesota and the only view of Blacks you get is from say the streotypical views of Black s from the local media from say Milwaukee or the Twin Cities, you might think that is the norm for such people.

It can also be a thing of not knowing what to think or how to act, as I've seen people that never seen a Black person in person until they join the military, for example. So, it depends on views. States like the ones you mentioned could be different due to not really having a city or area with a high or even "decent" concentration of Black folks outside of maybe Cheyenne, Mountain Home and Great Falls. Those three are due to the Air Force presence in those areas. Some other cities have maybe 1% of their population that is Black.
First off, thanks for reading and responding to what I wrote on page 31...thank you very much for that...

I grew up in the 1% or less black population areas...but back then, I related to it differently than I do now...back then I thought it was just 'normal' to be a physical minority...and infact really never thought about it...nor did my friends...

Your personality dominated who you were, not the color of your skin...
I miss those days...I miss those people...now their all gone and scattered...

Blacks, living in the SE or large Metro areas...really don't know what it's like to be 'alone'...

There are so many differences between blacks from the Pacific NW and say Miami...
Blacks out there don't even talk with that SE learned or handed down, colonial english slang...

You learn from your enviornment...
Also, if you listen to like West Coast rappers...even though they rap...they speak 'proper'...(yes I know, kind of a side issue)...

I think 'whites' and even other 'blacks' look at people of color, and lump us all as being the same...when we're not...we're vastly different...

And what effects that differences is where we were raised, income level, parents, religion..ect ect...just like everyone else...

But here's what ties us all together...

And that is the constant negitave stereotyping...

That's the one thing that gives us all that 'bond'...is that whether raised in Montana amongst cowboys, or raised in Detroit, amongst urban toughs, we all get stereotyped in a negitave way by the establishment...

And that's what brings us together...but aside from persicution...sometimes we have very little in common....

Old 10-30-2010, 01:09 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
First off, thanks for reading and responding to what I wrote on page 31...thank you very much for that...

I grew up in the 1% or less black population areas...but back then, I related to it differently than I do now...back then I thought it was just 'normal' to be a physical minority...and infact really never thought about it...nor did my friends...

Your personality dominated who you were, not the color of your skin...
I miss those days...I miss those people...now their all gone and scattered...

Blacks, living in the SE or large Metro areas...really don't know what it's like to be 'alone'...

There are so many differences between blacks from the Pacific NW and say Miami...
Blacks out there don't even talk with that SE learned or handed down, colonial english slang...

You learn from your enviornment...
Also, if you listen to like West Coast rappers...even though they rap...they speak 'proper'...(yes I know, kind of a side issue)...

I think 'whites' and even other 'blacks' look at people of color, and lump us all as being the same...when we're not...we're vastly different...

And what effects that differences is where we were raised, income level, parents, religion..ect ect...just like everyone else...

But here's what ties us all together...

And that is the constant negitave stereotyping...

That's the one thing that gives us all that 'bond'...is that whether raised in Montana amongst cowboys, or raised in Detroit, amongst urban toughs, we all get stereotyped in a negitave way by the establishment...

And that's what brings us together...but aside from persicution...sometimes we have very little in common....
This is very true. I also grew up in an overwhelmingly white area, and my friends saw me as an individual, not as part of a "race." One thing I love about living where I do is that race is not an issue -- everyone is just an individual. I'll admit I have little in common with most blacks, not because I try to separate myself from being "mixed" or "black," but because of where I was raise and what I'm interested in. I'm not racist or "culturist / ethnocentic," but I have little tolerance for the self-segregationist mentality of many blacks. I don't think I could take living somewhere like Atlanta or Detroit where everything is so racially polarized. "Black this," "white that," etc. It's ridiculous.

Although I don't listen to rap, Minnesota rappers speak the same way -- in "proper English," not ghetto slang.

Many people don't realize there even are blacks / biracials (both full black and mixed) living in places like Montana, Minnesota, North Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho and the like. Although there aren't many, they do exist. Some were adopted by white families, others have deep roots in the areas, some moved to those locations for job opportunities, racial equality, climate or other reasons. Blacks from these areas tend to identify more with mainstream culture than the "black culture" or "black community," so maybe that's why most are unaware of their existance.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:15 PM

442 posts, read 828,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
This is very true. I also grew up in an overwhelmingly white area, and my friends saw me as an individual, not as part of a "race." One thing I love about living where I do is that race is not an issue -- everyone is just an individual. I'll admit I have little in common with most blacks, not because I try to separate myself from being "mixed" or "black," but because of where I was raise and what I'm interested in. I'm not racist or "culturist / ethnocentic," but I have little tolerance for the self-segregationist mentality of many blacks. I don't think I could take living somewhere like Atlanta or Detroit where everything is so racially polarized. "Black this," "white that," etc. It's ridiculous.

Although I don't listen to rap, Minnesota rappers speak the same way -- in "proper English," not ghetto slang.

Many people don't realize there even are blacks / biracials (both full black and mixed) living in places like Montana, Minnesota, North Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho and the like. Although there aren't many, they do exist. Some were adopted by white families, others have deep roots in the areas, some moved to those locations for job opportunities, racial equality, climate or other reasons. Blacks from these areas tend to identify more with mainstream culture than the "black culture" or "black community," so maybe that's why most are unaware of their existance.
What is "mainstream culture"? How does one identify with it?

Old 10-30-2010, 02:59 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
Quote:

Yes, souls like yours and mine and others, were kind of forged in the same areas...away from urban centers...out west...in small communities...

Our experiences are so different than say someone from inner city Chicago...but yet, deep down, we still identify with the 'struggle'...

Sometimes even more...but not on a 'color' level...rather on a more 'dignity' level...

And then, as we grow, and leave our small town dwellings and friends, we come to the realization of being 'lumped' into these large negitave stereotypes...

We loose our induvisuality...and become like 'cattle'...
And yet forever trapped in the middle...having experienced both sides...the best of both sides...

Kind of like watching your parents fight...you love them both...but get caught up in the middle of it...

I love whites, I love blacks, but often find yourself taking one side or the other depending on the situation and fairness of the debate or 'battle'...

But deep down inside your saddened that people have to make such errornious assumptions about either side, based on lack of interaction...

But people like me and you will always know that people are people...same needs, same wants...same desires....because people like me and you grew up in the homes of many....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEcQS4tXgQ

Old 10-30-2010, 04:00 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Yes, souls like yours and mine and others, were kind of forged in the same areas...away from urban centers...out west...in small communities...

Our experiences are so different than say someone from inner city Chicago...but yet, deep down, we still identify with the 'struggle'...

Sometimes even more...but not on a 'color' level...rather on a more 'dignity' level...

And then, as we grow, and leave our small town dwellings and friends, we come to the realization of being 'lumped' into these large negitave stereotypes...

We loose our induvisuality...and become like 'cattle'...
And yet forever trapped in the middle...having experienced both sides...the best of both sides...

Kind of like watching your parents fight...you love them both...but get caught up in the middle of it...

I love whites, I love blacks, but often find yourself taking one side or the other depending on the situation and fairness of the debate or 'battle'...

But deep down inside your saddened that people have to make such errornious assumptions about either side, based on lack of interaction...

But people like me and you will always know that people are people...same needs, same wants...same desires....because people like me and you grew up in the homes of many....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEcQS4tXgQ
You stated it some much more eloquently than I could have. Excellent post -- sums it up perfectly.

I'm from the MIDwest, not out west, but the experience is the same. I know what you mean about being torn in two directions -- especially since I'm of multiracial descent. It sucks having to put up with all of the "race traitor" "Uncle Tom" garbage, but I guess that's the price of being an individual.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:51 PM

73 posts, read 109,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboy06 View Post
And also you look at the top 10 cities with the most crime and they all have a high percentage of blacks?
If you look at all Top 10 Cities with the highest sex offender registered they all have a high percentage of Whites

Old 10-30-2010, 09:39 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
You stated it some much more eloquently than I could have. Excellent post -- sums it up perfectly.

I'm from the MIDwest, not out west, but the experience is the same. I know what you mean about being torn in two directions -- especially since I'm of multiracial descent. It sucks having to put up with all of the "race traitor" "Uncle Tom" garbage, but I guess that's the price of being an individual.
As individualistic as this nation is said to be, sometimes, being an individual as "YOU" define yourself isn't always welcomed. Similar issue with me. I was the kid who always had a book with at one point or another. I had to decide for myself that I wasn't going to be bound by "identity", rather, I created my identity from what I knew and liked regardless of race. It wasn't just some of the Black kids who seemed to mock me for being "smart". Some White kids did it two I got to the point where I didn't care anymore. Furthermore, I sought out the kids(Black and White) who were similar in tastes to me or at least tried to hang around people who had no malice towards me.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,748 times
Africa continues to be at the bottom of the barrel despite what TimeandSpace thinks...

List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-05-2010, 10:25 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
I just mentioned Egypt and there is not shortage or whites in South Africa. If you think black are inferior just say so and move on, why beat around the bush?
Because we will get banned, duh

And that's not even what I was trying to get it. My issue was some people's view that somehow Africa is a beautifully developing utopia that rivals Europe and the US. WRONG.
Then they tried to compare Latin America to Africa just because of a few drug wars at the border. Facts, figures, and stats prove a lot more then the nightly news. And even despite it's problems, Latin America is light years ahead of Africa in pretty much everything...

Developed Nations Index. The lowest countries are almost all are African
List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Worst Human Rights Records
Human rights in Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And let's not forget how they treat gays...
Status of same-sex marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.