Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that where I live, people have a tendency to ask you where you went to high school upon introducing yourself and where you're from.

I find this interesting because my high school is in a completely different state, and most people around here probably never have heard of it. I also find this interesting because people seem to judge you based on that one facet of your life.

Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just a local thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 10:09 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,089 times
It's just part of the "Do We Know The Same People" game. It's not like asking someone where they went to college. You can only learn so much by knowing where someone went to high school. If I ever ask this question, it's because I either have some experience with a high school in the area or know someone who went there.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
It usually means you live in an area that is not accustomed to transplants or you are very young or hang around with very young people. I don't get asked where I go to HS because I assume that people are from completely different places than I am. I may only ask that if I notice somebody wearing the high school's colors or logo, or they say they are from the same city I am from or something.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:34 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
its real bad in Saint Louis.

I guess in highly insular and parochial areas such as Saint Louis where you went to high school establishes your social status and worthiness.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:52 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
I hear it a lot here in the Midwest. I guess it's a Midwestern thing. I would imagine residents of highly-transient areas like NYC and LA don't ask that question.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:55 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,044 times
I grew up in Hawaii. If I meet someone from Hawaii anywhere in the world the first question is always: Where did you go to high school. It's because Hawaii is a very small state with only one university of any significance (although many people go to college on the mainland). It's also has a lot to do with social class. The public schools in Hawaii are very poorly regarded and a large percentage of the population goes to private school. You can tell a lot about a person by where s/he went to school.

It's similar in Manhattan, where I live now.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:06 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
I've heard in in every state i lived, but usually after you know a person for a while.

When you hear it at job interview (like I have in St. Louis), you are really pushing it.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:33 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I hear it a lot here in the Midwest. I guess it's a Midwestern thing. I would imagine residents of highly-transient areas like NYC and LA don't ask that question.
I don't know about LA, but high school is very important in Manhattan among upper-middle class professionals and creative types. So many people went to elite colleges that high school in another way of standing out. Also, many people who go to private schools know the rank and reputation of other private schools across the country, especially in the Northeast. It's like in the UK, if you go to an elite school, you put it on your resume.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 PM

884 posts, read 2,641,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I've heard in in every state i lived, but usually after you know a person for a while.

When you hear it at job interview (like I have in St. Louis), you are really pushing it.
This is a very common question in Cincinnati. To me it speaks to how people in this area like to figure out who you are and where you come from. The public schools there have been known for being terrible for so long that admitting you went to one puts you in a bad light.

I actually had an interview once for a low-paying office assistant job and the guy was asking me for details about my high school experience!. He wanted to know what a typical day was like. I told him it was a blur but I could tell him about my COLLEGE years!.lol Didn't get that job.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:13 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
Usually when I'm out of town, people know I'm not from around there. I met an old couple in FL (who was also from NJ) and they asked where we were from, and when I told them "Jersey"- The women said "I knew it"

But yea it was always "What HS did you go to?" around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.