Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 11:29 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,303,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoble7 View Post
Phoenix has better winter weather than Houston.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 06:15 AM

110 posts, read 152,848 times
Phoenix by a mile. What is not to like? It is either warm and sunny or cool and sunny. Lay by the pool one day and play golf/hike the other.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:35 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,872,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanZeBar View Post
As much as I like sunshine and dryness in winter, too much of that would cause aridity, a climate trait I despise. Because of that, I'd take Houston; the winters are wet enough to keep moisture for the plants, while still being dry enough not to be soggy (precip totals go no higher than 3 inches).
Houston can get extremely soggy during the winter. During El Nino years, it can be rainy, cold, and overcast for days on end, sometimes for weeks. During other years, it can be predominantly sunny and not soggy. It's really quite variable. And, there have been severe floods during the middle of winter. A few years ago in January, the city was hit by severe flooding with more than 10 inches of rain in one day. Granted, floods during the winter are not common, and much more common during the spring or fall.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:18 AM

189 posts, read 165,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Houston can get extremely soggy during the winter. During El Nino years, it can be rainy, cold, and overcast for days on end, sometimes for weeks. During other years, it can be predominantly sunny and not soggy. It's really quite variable. And, there have been severe floods during the middle of winter. A few years ago in January, the city was hit by severe flooding with more than 10 inches of rain in one day. Granted, floods during the winter are not common, and much more common during the spring or fall.
El Nino brings cloudier, rainier weather across all of the southern US tier, so Houston isn't unique in that regard. On average, though, Houston's winters aren't really soggy; Los Angeles has higher average precipitation totals than Houston during February, and almost the same total precipitation over all the winter months:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston#Climate

Springs, summers and falls all can bring heavy flooding to Houston (Atlantic cyclones in summer, eastern Pacific cyclones + fronts in Fall, and Gulf surges from warm core systems in spring). It appears, though, that springs and falls are (relatively) dry seasons in Houston, going by precip days; the rainfall totals for months like May and October are only as high as they are due to the El Nino and/or Epac storms that come certain years, and even with the stormy years accounted for, the rainfall days are still the lower compared to summer (June-September) or winter (December to February).

Last edited by ZanZeBar; 11-30-2016 at 12:28 AM..

Old 11-30-2016, 09:06 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,933,730 times
Quote:
As much as I like sunshine and dryness in winter, too much of that would cause aridity, a climate trait I despise. Because of that, I'd take Houston; the winters are wet enough to keep moisture for the plants, while still being dry enough not to be soggy (precip totals go no higher than 3 inches).
People don't realize that during the winter, Phoenix is quite humid. And its also quite rainy And cold. In fact, our highs the last few days have struggled to get out of the 50's, and we had 2 days of rain over the weekend, and frost on the ground this morning.

Geez, you people need to do some research.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingFan View Post
Phoenix by a mile. What is not to like? It is either warm and sunny or cool and sunny. Lay by the pool one day and play golf/hike the other.
Do you lay by the pool in MN when its 60 degrees? I sure wouldn't. That's our winter weather in PHX in the daytime, with lows in the 30s and 40s. Hardly what I call weather that's promotes laying out by a pool.

You guys act like its the Florida Keys here or something. Its not. We had frost this morning, with lows already in the mid-30's.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
People don't realize that during the winter, Phoenix is quite humid. And its also quite rainy And cold. In fact, our highs the last few days have struggled to get out of the 50's, and we had 2 days of rain over the weekend, and frost on the ground this morning.

Geez, you people need to do some research.

I am aware that winter rain/humidity can happen in Phoenix; however, the average is still less than an inch for all the winter months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
A few years ago in January, the city was hit by severe flooding with more than 10 inches of rain in one day. Granted, floods during the winter are not common, and much more common during the spring or fall.
Did you know that Los Angeles has a higher record precipitation total for January than Houston does?

Old 11-30-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I am aware that winter rain/humidity can happen in Phoenix; however, the average is still less than an inch for all the winter months.

Did you know that Los Angeles has a higher record precipitation total for January than Houston does?
Average rainfall for the winter is close to 3.5", with an inch average per month. That's just averages, though. We can get over an inch in one day, which leads to big time flooding problems in many areas.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:51 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,762,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Average rainfall for the winter is close to 3.5", with an inch average per month. That's just averages, though. We can get over an inch in one day, which leads to big time flooding problems in many areas.
People don't seem to make the connection that aridity = temperature extremes. Here in Tucson it's high of 55, and this morning it was easily in the 30s when I went to school. Nor do they understand that southern Arizona is by all technicalities a "tropical desert". Before the sun comes up it is easily below freezing. The sun is the only thing that provides warmth here.

I love our winter weather because it gets cold. To say highs hover in the 70s or 80s like they do in the south is laughable. Maybe sporadically we will get a day in the winter like that as any other dry place like Denver which also is sporadic. Deserts are not hot all the time...

Old 11-30-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
People don't seem to make the connection that aridity = temperature extremes. Here in Tucson it's high of 55, and this morning it was easily in the 30s when I went to school. Nor do they understand that southern Arizona is by all technicalities a "tropical desert". Before the sun comes up it is easily below freezing. The sun is the only thing that provides warmth here.
Actually, a tropical desert wouldn't have freezing temps at all (see Cabo San Lucas, or Dubai).The desert in Tuscon, Phoenix, etc is subtropical desert (freezing temps can sporadically in certain years, but the overall climate features mild winters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I love our winter weather because it gets cold. To say highs hover in the 70s or 80s like they do in the south is laughable. Maybe sporadically we will get a day in the winter like that as any other dry place like Denver which also is sporadic. Deserts are not hot all the time...
It depends on the type of desert. The more temperate/higher latitude deserts (like the Great Basin) can have more variable temps, and can get cold in winter. However, lower latitude deserts (like subtropical deserts in Phoenix or Tuscon, or tropical deserts in Dubai) will be mild/warm during winter. Highly elevated deserts have high diurnal ranges, while the deserts of Antarctica are the coldest on Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.