Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 12:00 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times

Advertisements

Wow, quite refreshing to see some cities (Santa Ana,Anaheim,San Jose) have high Hispanic populations on that list. I never understood the stereotype that areas with lots of Latinos were crime havens. Isn't El Paso also one of the safest big cities even though it is vastly majority Hispanic? None of the cities on there (except for maybe NY) have large black populations.Why can't majority black cities also be on that list? I always thought that was the elephant in the room everytime a worst city for crime list came out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 01:34 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I think they did this last year and also included workplace accidents. Still it's neat to see a list that counts more than just homicide.

Still they only dealt with 71 cities and specified it be cities over 250,000. Even then about half of them look to be suburbs. Portland, Oregon looks to be the top for non-suburb. NYC is likely high due to its low murder rate.

If we want to bring race into it NYC may not be one of the "blackest cities" but it's percentage black is nearly twice the national average.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,963 times
there's no way in hellll that santa ana is one of the safest cities in america. try walking around there late at night and not get shot. anaheim too! anaheim's nickname in orange county is, "anacrime." awesome list forbes.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Well Omaha, for instance, has a handful of homicides (like 40+ annually) and I wouldn't think it'd crack the top 10 safest cities.
I agree.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:54 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Wow, quite refreshing to see some cities (Santa Ana,Anaheim,San Jose) have high Hispanic populations on that list. I never understood the stereotype that areas with lots of Latinos were crime havens. Isn't El Paso also one of the safest big cities even though it is vastly majority Hispanic? None of the cities on there (except for maybe NY) have large black populations.Why can't majority black cities also be on that list? I always thought that was the elephant in the room everytime a worst city for crime list came out...
I like that, too. I'm not latino, but I grew up in Santa Ana, and I can't say that I've ever felt uncomfortable anywhere in that city. The Mexican immigrants that make up the majority of the population are some of the best people I've ever known. I am not at all surprised that Santa Ana beats the stereotype. Same thing goes for Anaheim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.