Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:12 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
why would you compare a metro area + a city to one city, tho?

what does the nyc metro + another city look like in comparison to central fl in terms of the numbers of puerto ricans?

nyc continues to have the highest amount of puerto ricans in one city outside of puerto rico. actually, more puerto ricans live in ny than puerto ricans that live in san juan.
because cities are set up different in FL. Central FL is home to the largest puerto rican community in the US behind NYC, but it's also the fastest growing by a long shot, that's why I think it's a bigger destination. It won't be long till it's the largest PR community in the US.

The point is puerto ricans have a larger representation in central FL than NYC because they are more wide spread and a bigger precentage. They are very out numbered in NYC and are in concentrated areas. That's why I feel Central FL is a bigger destination for them than NYC. That's why more puerto ricans are moving to central FL (which is a relatively small region geographically) more than any other region in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 05:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Outside of NYC and Miami, most of the majors populations are heavily biased toward Mexicans. Every other major Metro areas Hispanic population is at least 75% Mexican.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:20 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
because cities are set up different in FL. Central FL is home to the largest puerto rican community in the US behind NYC, but it's also the fastest growing by a long shot, that's why I think it's a bigger destination. It won't be long till it's the largest PR community in the US.

The point is puerto ricans have a larger representation in central FL than NYC because they are more wide spread and a bigger precentage. They are very out numbered in NYC and are in concentrated areas. That's why I feel Central FL is a bigger destination for them than NYC. That's why more puerto ricans are moving to central FL (which is a relatively small region geographically) more than any other region in the US.
puerto ricans can be found all over nyc whether the area be black , white , Hispanic , west indian , Asian etc.

in my own experience living in NYC i can safely say i have seen puerto ricans living in pretty much all neighborhoods. well at least this was true for Manhattan , Brooklyn , and queens, and most likely the Bronx.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:59 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i still think that this is stupid. how can there be one capital city for all hispanics when hispanics come in all races and ethnicities???

if you are a puerto rican, for example, then el paso is not going to be a "capital" for you.
if you are a mexican then miami will not be a capital for you.
if you are dominican then los angeles will not be a capital for you.
etc. etc.

just because a city is majority hispanic doesn't mean that a hispanic person can relate to the ppl in that city.

this thread is the equivalent of a person saying...*insert american city here* is an english speaking american's capital because the majority in that city speak english.

Best post in this thread.

I'm Dominican and I sure as hell wouldn't feel comfortable in LA, El Paso, etc ..Dominican and Mexican culture are totally different.

As for Miami, yeah I guess I would be a little more comfortable just because of the carribean influence....but at the end of the day, Miami is Cuban with others sprinkled in.

That is why I belive NYC is the capital of Hispanic culture in the US. WHy you ask?

You're Puerto Rican? Head over to the south Bronx, or maybe Spanish Harlem is more to you're liking.....How about the Lower East Side??.naaa I think you're better off in Bushwick!

Hey Dominicano...you're trying to find DR's in the city? So come on over to the west Bronx! but wait what about Washington Heights, Inwood? Ok too much DR culture so lets head on over to West Harlem..eh still too much! so come to Cypress Hills in Brooklyn =]

Hey Mexicano...I know you own most of the country but you don't own nothing here..so know you're role...lol jk jk...plenty of spots for you....Spanish Harlem? Naa you'd probably like it in Sunset Park...Ok what about Corona, Queens? Named after your beer ...

My Colombianos, Perubians, Ecuadorians, and all others you can join us in Jackson Heights, Corona, and Elmhurst. You're culture thrives there!

Blah Blah Blah...

the point im trying to make is that if you're a hispanic......you have a neighborhood in NYC to call your own. Only Cubans are really left out but everyone else has good numbers here. Much better than all of that Mexican stuff and Cuban to a lesser extent.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:02 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Dominicans also have good numbers in Florida.

I don't have beef with the state of Florida from Orlando down to Miami.

They Have good numbers of Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Colombians etc

Old 10-18-2010, 06:12 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
puerto ricans can be found all over nyc whether the area be black , white , Hispanic , west indian , Asian etc.

in my own experience living in NYC i can safely say i have seen puerto ricans living in pretty much all neighborhoods. well at least this was true for Manhattan , Brooklyn , and queens, and most likely the Bronx.
Same with Central FL. Also the majority of the Puerto Ricans in Central Florida aren't from Puerto Rico, they are "Neuricans" (from NY). That's why it's home to the fastest growing PR communities in the US, they aren't just coming from PR.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:16 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Well, 65% of all Hispanics in the US have Mexican ancestry. That's very close to a "super-majority." Salvadorans are another 3.3%, and Guatemalans are 1.6%. So, that three-nation bloc accounts for around 70% of all people of Hispanic background in America. Something to keep in mind.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:25 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,549 times
And the different groups aren't that much different from each other. If anything, I would say there is a sibling rivalry but it's not like they are killing each other in the street over ethnic warfare. It would be like thinking Americans and Canadians are so vastly different from each other....

Old 10-18-2010, 07:10 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
any place that has a high percentage of dominican and rican girls you can count me there

Old 10-18-2010, 07:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
And the different groups aren't that much different from each other. If anything, I would say there is a sibling rivalry but it's not like they are killing each other in the street over ethnic warfare. It would be like thinking Americans and Canadians are so vastly different from each other....
Honestly I think there would be a much greater difference between a Mexican mestizo from the Southwestern US and a Cuban emigre living in Miami than between Americans and Canadians. Food, music, even the way the Spanish is spoken is vastly different for the most part. Cuban-Americans(or Puerto Ricans or Domincans) aren't going to be listening to Banda and Norteno for the most part(although you might find Mexicans listening to Salsa or Reggaeton)...

I suppose as Mexican emigration increases in the East Coast, you might see some more blending of the cultural influences, but there are some pretty broad distinctions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.