Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:24 PM

93,316 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I know it's quite far from the NW, but have you put any thought into northern New England (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont)? You've pretty much described the region to a T. Summers are more humid than the Intermountain West, but the northern latitude, sea breeze, and higher elevations keep summers quite comfortable.

What is your ideal population size? (Or, perhaps more appropriately, what is your ideal population density?) What do you consider a "large" city?
I agree....For instance, if the OP looked at a city like Plattsburgh NY or Burlington VT, they fit the criteria and are both an hour south of Montreal. Same with smaller communities like Hanover NH or Montpelier or Barre in VT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 01:26 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times
What about Tahoe, Boise, or Colorado Springs?

Old 10-18-2010, 02:39 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
OP, I know you said it's too big, but you described Spokane perfectly in your original post. There are plenty of areas of town (and outside of it) that don't feel the least bit crowded.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:02 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
David, I will look at Spokane again. I don't head over that way often (most of my time spent in Eastern WA is in Kittitas, Chelan, and Grant Counties) but next time I do I will take the time to look around town and on the outskirts a little more. As much as I'd like to pack up and go somewhere today, I have at the very minimum until next winter to make a decision, and probably won't want to do any actual moving until the following spring or summer.

I don't know why, but the I have been looking more and more into the Wasilla, AK area to the point of obsessing over it, and I haven't ever actually visited the place!

In any event I am determined to find something nice and enjoyable and removed from Western Washington. I may or may not end up back someday in my retirement years (if I ever do return to Western WA it will be to the San Juan Islands), but plan in the meantime to find that magic area with good community and my own preferable climate to live and raise my kids for the years and decades to come.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
David, I will look at Spokane again. I don't head over that way often (most of my time spent in Eastern WA is in Kittitas, Chelan, and Grant Counties) but next time I do I will take the time to look around town and on the outskirts a little more.
Good, because Spokane is nothing like these.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:16 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
how about western Massachusetts.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:23 AM

93,316 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Good, because Spokane is nothing like these.
What about smaller cities like Cheney or Pullman that are close by?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about smaller cities like Cheney or Pullman that are close by?
Though I only lived mere miles from it, I have never been to Cheney. I would think it's not all that different, and I would include it as part of the Spokane area.

Pullman is nothing like the OP described. It's a college town built into barren, wheat-covered hills. Not much in the way of natural beauty IMO (though the area north and east of nearby Moscow is pretty).

Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,417 times
Hammonton, NJ fits your description, as does Wantage, NJ, but both are on the East Coast, very far from your home region.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:41 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,255,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
There are a few places I am seriously considering a relocation to, and many other places that I'd like to relocate to but is unpractical for me, and even more that I'd like to go and spend a year just for the experience.

However when it comes right down to it, there is a certain magic atmosphere that I am looking for to have perfection. A few different factors here:

Factor 1: A small to medium sized town (preferably with a rural to semi-rural feel) with a strong sense of community, people helping out and being neighborly, hard working, making good friends, not just everybody hiding out in their houses being anti-social all day. A place where neighbors and friends can drop by for unannounced visits and be welcomed, and where a trip out to do errands can even turn into a social event (because you'll know so many of the people!). Further more, friendly and honest and good hearted people who judge you on WHO YOU ARE, and NOT on what you have, what you wear, what your house/yard is like, what you drive, etc.

Factor 2: Kid friendly with good schools and other good kids for my son to play with.

Factor 3: An outdoorsy type of place. Lots of natural beauty. Hiking trails, swimming holes, camping, canoeing, any snow activity in winter. Forests, mountains, streams, lakes, meadows, etc.

Factor 4: A change of season. Cold winters with lots of snow. Warm to hot summers, preferably NOT humid. Dry heat is the way to be! (Willing to bend a little though. I've been to Missouri in the middle of summer and the humidity was killing me! Definitely don't want anything like that! But a mild humidity is okay) Hot enough to want to hit those swimming holes from factor one, and not so cold at night not to be able to enjoy the outdoors in the summer even after the sun goes down. (Though I plan to enjoy the outdoors all times of day and night year-round. It's just one of those things though, keep it season appropriate. Don't want to worry too much about packing a bunch of extra blankets and sweats on summer camping trips, for example).

Factor 5: Low light pollution. I like to be able to see stars in the night sky!

Factor 6: Close enough to a large(r) city that I can go there and come back in a day trip if need be. (Though willing to bend more on this one if need be to have the others above).

Finally, any suggestions in the following states to meet the criteria listed above is best: Washington, Alaska, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado. Though I am willing to look at suggestions from anywhere else, too, I am just hoping not to go too far out of the beautiful northwest, as it has been my lifelong home (Washington, Seattle area, to be specific on where I've lived my life so far), and wish to remain close enough to keep it a part of me.

PS Any area that allows the use of a small outdoor fire pit, so long as a burn ban is not in effect, is also good, but not essential. (Would love to have a small fire pit in the back yard! My grandparents have one in their back yard out on the coast and the whole family plus whatever friends may be there as well congregates around it at night when we go on trips down there and talk late into the night when it's otherwise chilly away from the fire. It's rather very nice).
I believe that you'll discover happiness and everything you're seeking in the beautiful community of CORVALLIS, OREGON!

Visit Corvallis and Benton County Oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.