Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 AM

3 posts, read 22,583 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
I just graduated college, but only with bachelors. I will be going to graduate school. I want to move east, currently I live in the middle of Missouri. I have a dog . I know New York is crazy expensive, especially for just starting out in life! I wanted to know opinions on the cheapest places to live on the east coast where I can still visit Manhattan occasionally. I'm very serious about this move, and I don't want to go blindly with just internet research, I'd like to hear from the people who know the business. I don't wish to buy a home at this time, so I would want to rent to start off. Obviously I would want somewhere where I can get a job. I currently work at a university so I have really great references from here. Any info at all would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:52 AM

93,417 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Perhaps Philadelphia or interior Northeastern cities like Albany, Syracuse, Binghamton, Springfield MA, the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton PA area, Scranton, Rochester, Lancaster and Harrisburg. All are within a reasonable distance to get to NYC. There are some smaller college towns near these cities as well.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Here's information on NY State colleges/universities: New York's Private Colleges & Universities (http://www.nycolleges.org/locations.php - broken link)

SUNY: Complete Campus List

Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks for your advice! I'll look up every one of those suggestions. Do you know if any of these towns are easier to get started and set up in? This will be my first out of state move, so I'm a little nervous!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:11 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Do you want a larger city or smaller town; among those suggested that would play a big factor. Also Philly is cheaper than NYC by a long way but also is more expensive than some of the other towns suggested.

What environment are looking to live - Philly is very close to NYC anywhere from1.5 to 2 hours depending on mode of transportation

Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Do you want a larger city or smaller town; among those suggested that would play a big factor. Also Philly is cheaper than NYC by a long way but also is more expensive than some of the other towns suggested.

What environment are looking to live - Philly is very close to NYC anywhere from1.5 to 2 hours depending on mode of transportation
Good question and points. I know that some of the smaller cities have trendy areas or areas that are walkable. So, it depends on what you want in a city and what type of work you can do.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 AM

I'm pretty flexible to the size of the place. After all, I can always move once I get settled and save up! I have a psychology and sociology degree but unfortunately I probably won't be able to get a career centered job until I complete grad. My work experience is basic comparatively... working with gov aid money for kids, crunching numbers, working with kids with disabilities and/or delinquents, office work, library work, hr work.. It would probably be easiest to work for another university or college with the references I have. Mostly I care about cost of living. Just a relative easy place.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshaD1215 View Post
I'm pretty flexible to the size of the place. After all, I can always move once I get settled and save up! I have a psychology and sociology degree but unfortunately I probably won't be able to get a career centered job until I complete grad. My work experience is basic comparatively... working with gov aid money for kids, crunching numbers, working with kids with disabilities and/or delinquents, office work, library work, hr work.. It would probably be easiest to work for another university or college with the references I have. Mostly I care about cost of living. Just a relative easy place.

Well then i would suggest if you can to visit some and also find a job; that will be huge. Also if you plan to continue your education that would play in. Some of the places recommended also have universities. That is also one aspect where Philly does excel there a number of major universities in the city itself and the region has the second highest college population fo major metros.

Best of luck but honestly from the sounds of it concentrating on finding employement and place to further your education may be the best solution for you.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 AM

296 posts, read 638,755 times
i have been reading up on delaware. close to beaches...nightlife..new york..skiing..outdoor recreation is everwhere close by. theres a college there and they seem to be cheaper than jersey and new york city. plus theres no sales tax. 4 seasons with mild winters i read. just dont have kids-upper delaware school system sucks.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 AM

Try here: Hillside Family of Agencies

https://www.sujobopps.com/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1308586393226 (broken link)

Current Employment Opportunities at Le Moyne College

Residential and Day Services for People with Developmental Disabilities | Upstate New York | Springbrook (http://www.springbrookny.org/emp_employment.html - broken link)

Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

Syracuse Student Rentals - SU Apartments - UniversityHill.com

Campus Hill Floor Plans

Syracuse University Rent Apartment Housing

The Sutton Companies | Real Estate Management, Brokerage and Development
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.