Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 01:12 PM

97 posts, read 1,227,082 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows about the more popular hippie/crunchy towns like Boulder, Ithaca, and Burlington. They seem like excellent places to live due to the emphasis on being environmentally friendly and having vibrant downtown areas. My husband and I have visited Boulder and really liked it, and I have done lots of online research into Ithaca and it really appeals to us as well. My concern about places like these is that my husband (being a politically conservative police officer) and myself (being politically moderate) would not fit in.

I know that the people from these areas like to say that they are very accepting, but does that apply to the police? My husband would be very unhappy living somewhere where he wasn't allowed to do his job properly because the people around there consider the methods that the police sometimes must use to be "excessive force" or somewhere where he would have to go to court over every little thing he did at work.

Basically, I would like to know what people think about the police in these areas as well as how easy/difficult it would be for more conservative people to fit in. Also, if anyone knows of any other towns that are similar to the ones I mentioned, I would be interested in looking into those as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 08:35 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,713,370 times
Perhaps the solution would be to live in a nearby town to one of these communities - kind of on the event horizon between liberality and reality. All 3 towns you mentioned are fairly small.

Taking the example I grew up near (one common bumper sticker there is: "Ithaca - 10 square miles surrounded by reality"), having lived in both the City of Ithaca and the City of Cortland (20 miles away) if I were to move back I'd pick Cortland, as a more comfortable place where one can be either religious or not, conservative or liberal, etc. Yes you would have to drive to Ithaca for a decent restaurant but not for daily needs or community activities, it would be the sort of place you could call home instead of a social experiment.

We recently spent a week with a friend in Louisville, CO - 20 minutes from downtown Boulder. Still Boulder County so we didn't have to pay to park at open space trailheads. Seemed to be a little bit easier-breathing neighborhood without quite having the I-need-to-be-crunchier-than-the-Joneses vibe.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,343,840 times
Check out Boise, Idaho. It is kind of a granola, white collar city with a lot of earthy types, hippies that actually have careers, is becoming known as an environmentaly friendly city, its extremely outdoorsy and organic, and the king of mountain biking.

Unlike the other cities you mentioned, Boise has its head on straight, it isn't so liberal that people are closed minded and ignorant but is a good balance of liberals and conservatives, and everyone gets along. I like Boulder but would never consider Boulder after living in Boise.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 AM

26,818 posts, read 43,286,237 times
Check out Durham, NC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham,_North_Carolina

It's a great place to live with a more moderate approach to "crunchy granola". Work options would be somewhat prevalent there and your social views would not be out of step with the overall population. I found living there a refreshing balance of all viewpoints and while there is a predominance of liberals, it's not a place where everyone is expected march to the same drummer. In other words diversity is accepted and people allow themselves to get to know one another without preconceived notions.

Check out the neighborhoods of 9th Street/Watts Hospital, Trinity Park, Duke Park, Northgate Park and Old North Durham.

http://www.bullcityrising.com/about-bcr.html (broken link)

Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the ideas! How are Boise and Durham for walkability? I would love to be able to live in a house (not a townhome or condo) and walk or ride a bike to things. That was one thing I really loved about Boulder - people ride their bikes everywhere.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:13 AM

Also, I know Durham is in a "triangle" with Chapel Hill and Raleigh, so I've always imagined that the three cities would be similar because they are grouped together so much. Would you recommend either of those cities?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,888,212 times
Bozeman, Montana may be worth a look.

It's a cute, outdoorsy college town with a neat downtown and a fun atmosphere, but it's not nearly as liberal as nearby Boulder and Missoula.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:42 PM

91,996 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousLindsey View Post
Thanks for the ideas! How are Boise and Durham for walkability? I would love to be able to live in a house (not a townhome or condo) and walk or ride a bike to things. That was one thing I really loved about Boulder - people ride their bikes everywhere.
You might actually like Syracuse and in particular the Eastside neighborhoods near Syracuse University or something like Eastwood, which is almost like a village within the city. Both areas are walkable and you can ride your bike(especially on the Eastside, as many SU and SUNY-ESF students do so to campus). There are some very nice homes in both areas and the Eastside has the cute Westcott Street Business District. There's also the Westcott Cultural Fair in mid September, which showcases the area's diversity. It's an area known for being somewhat "crunchy"/granola too. There's also shopping in nearby Nottingham Plaza and on Nottingham Road. There are 2 big parks in that area of the Eastside as well. There are also other walkable neighborhoods/communities in the area too.

As for police work, I wouldn't think that he would have issues in the area and in general, the area is moderate.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Also, I know Durham is in a "triangle" with Chapel Hill and Raleigh, so I've always imagined that the three cities would be similar because they are grouped together so much. Would you recommend either of those cities?
I would highly recommend Chapel Hill, even more so than Durham. The drawback (which is why I didn't mention it originally) is price. It's the most expensive of the three, but well worth it for the quality of life if you can swing it. Both Durham and Chapel Hill are walkable, Chapel Hill more so. There are outlying newer areas that aren't as walkable in both places, but by and large if you stick to the nicer, more established neighborhoods you'll find walking to restaurants, shopping, parks and the like pretty easy.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Forgot to mention, Chapel Hill is very bike-able. Not only is it bike-friendly in terms of motorists (important factor) but it also has plenty of bike lanes. In addition Chapel Hill Transit, which is quite good considering it's a small town, is fare-free! Town of Chapel Hill : About Chapel Hill Transit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.