Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:31 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Absolutely. It's show BUSINESS. Commerce over art. Did you have any doubt?
I figured. But I don't see it as commerce over art. Top money brings in top talent which results in top art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 02:32 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,625 times
because america is big on entertainment sector.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:34 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I figured. But I don't see it as commerce over art. Top money brings in top talent which results in top art.
Ha! You think Transformers 2 is top art? Top entertainment, maybe. But that's a machine that's all about the bucks.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:51 PM

228 posts, read 696,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Tell me a single British show that is popular in Europe! I don't know a single one! But there are a lot of american shows!
Coronation Street, currently the world's longest running soap opera and it's shown in many countries.

Doctor Who is shown in 50 countries

Footballers' wives was very popular.

The Office has been sold to broadcasters in 80 countries.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:24 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I think it's probably the money thing. I don't know if that means we always get the best talent, but it generally does mean we get the best production values. I think they're only a few nations that could/would make a film as expensive as Avatar, Titanic, Spider-Man 2, The Dark Night,and such. The Pixar films also may have the advantage that California is still kind of a prime area for computer tech.

On top of that money is an advantage because Americans will spend lots of money for advertising and promoting our shows or films. It looks like some of the most expensive British movies will use American firms for distribution and promotion. We're good at that.

However another factor might be that we have more English-speakers than any nation on Earth and I'm pretty sure English is spoken in more nations than any language. Even if we were less than half as creative as the British we would still have far more creative English-speaking people than them. Even if you take the English language out of the equation we're the third largest nation in population and it looks like we're projected to remain third in 2050. The two larger nations, China and India, generally have less money for film/TV or do films/TV that are either too culturally specific or hampered by censorship.

United Nations population data for every country in the world | World news | guardian.co.uk

Old 10-22-2010, 08:06 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
If you're talking about global culture, the hard to distinguish between British and American influences. They each influence each other.

This culture is influential partly because of the power of the English language. It's the most commonly spoken second language in the world so there's a built-in market. Many foreign pop songs are sung at least partly in English.

Having such a vast pool of talent helps too. Our music and film benefits from people from Australia, New Zealand and Canada as well as the UK. Countries like Germany or France aren't able to drawn on that many artists.

It's also that Anglo-Americans have an unusual genius for finding a delicate balance between the ridiculous and the sincere. It's a very fine line, but it's what makes pop culture work. Many other countries are good at doing one or the other, but it's very difficult to do both at the same time.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:30 AM

650 posts, read 1,327,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
It's mostly our awesomeness that makes us so popular. USA = quarterback of the football team or homecoming king/queen (globally speaking).

Keep in mind that there are always nerds (other countries) that hate the quarterback and deride him for his lack of intelligence, culture, and public transportation.

But the bottom line is that those nerds want to be us, even if they are smarter and more cultured than we are. Because we are just that cool.
+1, Lol I love this post.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
Our "culture" is very popular because it represents the best of everything. The USA, is of course a melting pot of every imaginable ethnic and/or immigrant group's ideas and influences.

I boil it down to the example of a sandwich. When I was in Spain several years ago, prior to their joining the European Union, a sandwich consisted of a piece of french bread w/ a slab of meat in it. In the USA, a sandwich can consist of a gazillion types of breads, toppings, fixins, etc. Our sandwiches are symbolic of the melting pot phenomenon that occurs in an open society. A sandwich can have ham from Germany, jalopeno peppers from Mexico, tomatoes from Italy, mayonaisse from France, lettuce from Persia, flat bread from India, etc., etc. Ooooh, I'm getting hungry!

Old 10-22-2010, 11:28 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
American media is everywhere, news, TV shows, movies, music, and even YouTube videos get very popular all over the globe. Why doesn't stuff from other countries get as popular globally? I mean there are a few things, but not to the extent as America. Why is this? Are we just better film makers and record producers or is there an economic tie to it? Just curious, thanks.
Becuase you have the most money and people, its that simple. The huge adrevtising and production budgets of american media and record companies etc can simply not be matched by any other country around the world individualy. You are also drawing from a potential talent pool of 300 million plus people, which can only be matched by china and india, neither of which have any where near the money the USA does.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-22-2010 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Top Gear.
The best show on TV by miles, I wonder what americans think of Clarkson, May and Hammond? If they get the show at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.