Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:45 AM

114 posts, read 72,779 times

Advertisements

Anything American is popular because of English language, our powerful media houses, Hollywood and of late internet companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 08:45 AM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobina View Post
I'm surprised US culture is popular around the world because it's not popular in the US. Every American I know hates our pop culture of the 21st century. In the 20th century our pop culture was great. Now that corporate conglomerates took over its trash. The only reason our 21st century trash makes money here is because of the train wreck phenomenon of, "I'm so disgusted but I can't turn away." I don't understand why other countries would enjoy our modern garbage churned out by soulless business vultures. If you want to experience the best of American culture stick with the culture of the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s 80s and 90s and maybe the early 2000s. The rest is garbage with the exception of a few mainstream gems like Lana Del Rey, Bruno Mars, Pharell, etc... and the indie scene. Our new stuff is basically glorified trash fit for your garbage disposal and should be blocked from invading your country like the plague. Until these corporations take their stranglehold off our media and let our real artists shine how about you reject our dumb reality shows and shallow Kardashian morons and instead send your great culture our way. We could use some fresh air over here.
The best of American culture ended after the 70s.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Subjective, not everyone will agree.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
As for music, only black American music still has any importance, this is the music that launched British music , which IMO is fresher and better than American music. Even bluegrass and southern music is all British Isles ( not Irish, Thomas). The main Irish group is U2 and even two members there are British. Don't know why Americans just don't want to accept that British culture is definitely more dominant, also more subtle and so underreported and undervalued in America. I think Northern America is probably so racially mixed that it has lost its sense of a united identity and is doubting itself ( still there in the South, I think). Too many people claim to be Jewish, Irish, Italian, Polish, Vietnamese American, now German, even though you or your Grandparents have never been there, you are American, accept it. I honestly did not see any US culture abroad,( though the UK still absorbs it).
The way i see it is that all the nations cultures are converging and blending, we are all more exposed to the outside world than ever before and an international culture is emerging.

I don't agree with all the "blah blah blah my culture is better than your culture!!" crap. every culture is great in their own ways and its nice to see the best of each nation work together.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:43 PM

20 posts, read 19,791 times
Um, because we are the best. 'Nuff said!

Old 08-12-2015, 05:11 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,978 times
Alias Finn was right American Culture has faded since I think 1980`s After Star Wars and Indiana Jones, other cultures have diluted a great country. I think too many Americans live in this Cuckoo land where we are greatest ( you were , recently. I still check the US data first) but British culture is better thasn the US, especially in Europe, even German culture is creeping up

Old 08-12-2015, 10:14 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Alias Finn was right American Culture has faded since I think 1980`s After Star Wars and Indiana Jones, other cultures have diluted a great country. I think too many Americans live in this Cuckoo land where we are greatest ( you were , recently. I still check the US data first) but British culture is better thasn the US, especially in Europe, even German culture is creeping up
American/British culture is so intertwined, also Canada, Australia and South Africa. That its virtually inseparable. Hollywood always had plenty of Brit actors and still does. Along with American TV. Many shows have Brit or Aussie actors who even use a American accent. Though in Movies Most Brits or others use their own. Even in Asia like China it is a American Car has status there to. Not just a Mercedes ect.

But American Movies still rule and even musical influence. With British singers and groups still holding a key position in American musical culture.

Last edited by steeps; 08-12-2015 at 10:25 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 03:21 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
America has a large English speaking population and lots of money. It's nothing about America being more "innovative" or "creative" than other countries.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:43 AM

7 posts, read 7,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
You are probably one of those Baby Boomers who doesn't give credit where it's due because 80s and 90s was Generation X's youth. To reject 80s and 90s is to reject Guns n Roses, U2, Rush, Van Halen, Queen. Michael Jackson, Prince, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, AC/DC, The Cure, Aerosmith, David Bowie, The Cult, The Smiths, New Order, Hall and Oats, The Dandy Warhols, The Smashing Pumpkins, Days of the New, Whitney Houston, Tracy Chapman, INXS, Sonic Youth, Pink Floyd, The Police, Metallica, the solo work of the members of The Beatles, the continuing legacies of The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Aretha Franklin, The Doobie Brothers, etc... and countless others. Many of these were American artists. This is why I can't take people who discount the 80s and 90s seriously as music critics. No offense intended but I grew up in that era and I'm going to defend it. It was a great time to be young and I am grateful to those artists for that reason.

Last edited by Jacobina; 09-04-2015 at 02:36 AM..

Old 09-04-2015, 02:05 AM

7 posts, read 7,025 times
I am American and I can't stand the whole "We are the best" thing. It just makes us look like jerks. And no we are not the distorted image other countries have of us so why act like it? The government are jerks but not the American people, most of us are however brainwashed by the media. Other countries hate us enough already and how can you blame them if we act like this? Let's just stop that we are #1 stuff, mmmkay? It is cute when Homer Simpson does it but not when real people do it. Thanks for your predicted cooperation. And by the way, you are about fifteen years late for that sentiment. Our new corpoate overlords have made it clear they dont care about us. Now we are in the midst of the fall of Rome, baby. Best to humble thyself and buckle up.

Last edited by Jacobina; 09-04-2015 at 02:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.