Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,897 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
First post! I'm currently attending New england institute of art in boston for sound engineering, i'll be finishing with an associates in march with a main interest in live sound reinforcement. I live 25 minutes north east in a quiet town and commute to work and school, the traffic is pretty rough. I've got plenty of prospects and experience to secure a job around here, and I will for now, but I've got to get out of here. I'll come back this way eventually but for now I need a change and to meet some new faces in a place better suited for my personality. I visited Portland last year while interning and I felt very much at home (microbrew, bicycling, laid back vibe, art, it's beautiful). However, the job market there scares me a bit from what I've gathered on here. My favorite places so far have been Seattle, Portland, Denver, Boulder, Salt Lake. My hobbies include skiing, skateboarding, hiking, attending music festivals, shows, etc. I'm young, single and ready to pack up and drive west, any input as far as employment or other locations are concerned? Thanks.

p.s rain doesn't really bother me,
hope this was descriptive enough

Last edited by Jimi_mcG; 01-19-2013 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: forgot to put where i live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
Take a look at Minneapolis/St. Paul. Plenty of snow,live entertainment, and a strong alt culture vibe thanks to the thousands of students at U Minn. Plus COL is reasonable.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,897 times
I've seen a lot of people suggesting Minneapolis/SP and I've been there, it's awesome. But I would miss big mountain skiing :/

Old 01-20-2013, 03:52 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi_mcG View Post
Hi all,
First post! I'm currently attending New england institute of art in boston for sound engineering, i'll be finishing with an associates in march with a main interest in live sound reinforcement. I live 25 minutes north east in a quiet town and commute to work and school, the traffic is pretty rough. I've got plenty of prospects and experience to secure a job around here, and I will for now, but I've got to get out of here. I'll come back this way eventually but for now I need a change and to meet some new faces in a place better suited for my personality. I visited Portland last year while interning and I felt very much at home (microbrew, bicycling, laid back vibe, art, it's beautiful). However, the job market there scares me a bit from what I've gathered on here. My favorite places so far have been Seattle, Portland, Denver, Boulder, Salt Lake. My hobbies include skiing, skateboarding, hiking, attending music festivals, shows, etc. I'm young, single and ready to pack up and drive west, any input as far as employment or other locations are concerned? Thanks.

p.s rain doesn't really bother me,
hope this was descriptive enough
Salt Lake sticks out as the winner on your list. It has a low cost of living, by far the lowest unemployment rate of your list and is one of the best winter sports cities in the world. Being able to live in town in one of the better neighborhoods close to downtown and other activities would be a perk too, versus living in a place similar to where you are now in one of the other cities (save maybe Denver).

Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 PM

93,428 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Some other cities that may work are: Logan UT, Missoula MT and Corvallis OR. All are college towns with low unemployment rates and would allow you to enjoy the outdoor activities that you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.