Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:12 PM

124 posts, read 326,618 times

Advertisements

I'm with the majority on this one. Move. Here are a few good reasons: 1) The economy. If it's a really good job for you, then you need to take it seriously. Opportunities aren't exactly knocking at all of our doors these days. 2) Technology. You can stay close with your family even if you aren't geographically nearby. With web cams, cell phones, Facebook ... you can be in frequent contact every day. It's easier than you think. 3) Don't let fear stop you. If you keep yourself from taking an opportunity now because you're afraid of the unknown, you may always regret it and wonder what could've been. It'll be a challenge, but as long as you're just a little bit smart about it, you'll be fine and probably better off than you would be if you limited yourself to Ohio only. 4) Things change. Maybe someday you'll have kids and realize you want to be closer to your extended family, and THEN move back. Maybe this job will eventually lead to an opportunity in which you can be transferred closer to home. Who knows -- maybe a member or two of your family will eventually come to live near you in your new city!

Honestly, only you know your exact circumstances and whether or not a move would be appropriate for you or not. These are just suggestions I have because I was once in a similar situation to yours. I moved and it turned out to be the single best decision (besides marrying my wonderful husband) that I have ever made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:48 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,486 times
Thanks for all the great responses so far. It's definitely a big decision I need to make, but it's really helping to hear what every one has to say. Seriously, it's nice hearing from people who have been in the same predicament as myself currently.

If anyone else reading has anything to say, please do!

Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,547 times
I moved from New York to California when I was 18. It is a bit hard to adjust, and be away from your family, but i have grown SO MUCH, and really found myself since then, i wouldnʻt be half of the person I am today if i didnt go off on my own and become independent. I have honestly NEVER been homesick, but thatʻs just me. I was so stoked to get out here and iʻve loved it ever since. Hopefully you can have a similar experience.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:11 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Hello everyone,

I know there are threads like this out there, but I figure I'd make my own because new members have signed up since the last ones were created and maybe they can share their story.

Anyways, I live in Ohio and just graduated college in May. Eventually I'd like to go to law school, but we'll see how that plays out. Regardless, I'm in kind of a dilemma and could use advice, maybe from those who were once in my position.

As of right now, I have a really great job offer in Austin, Texas. As of right now they told me to take my time with figuring out if I want to accept it or not. The problem is I'm extremely close to my family, particularly my mother.

In a way, I wouldn't mind moving somewhere south where the weather is nicer all year long, and somewhere I can start over fresh and meet new people and have more opportunities for my career. On the other hand though, I'm scared half to death. Also, I keep running thoughts through my head about what if something happens to one of my family members and I can't be there or will my family miss out on a lot of things as I get older and vice versa, like me having kids and such. Ugh, I don't know, maybe I'm just thinking of stuff and stressing about it for no reason?

Anyways, sorry this is long, but if anyone could offer me any advice or share their stories if they were in the same predicament, please do so. Tell me anything to give me any insight! Any regrets over moving far? Best decision of your life? ANYTHING!

Thanks so much!!
Hi,

I moved long-distance from Michigan to Minnesota a while back. It was tough leaving family and friends behind, but exciting moving to a new area and getting a fresh start. I don't have any regrets, and I love my adopted home state. However, I'm not extremely close to my family and it seems like you are. I also don't plan on ever having kids. I know my advice doesn't mean much, but I would suggest staying in Ohio. Family is very important, and it sounds like you'd be much happier staying put.

Also:
M GO BLUE (Sorry, had to do it)

Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
You are young and just beginning your life - explore what life has to offer and see the world ... Or at the very least another part of our country.

Sorry to say this, but you are making a mountain out of a molehill. That you got a job offer is awesome and in a place that is vibrant and a great starting point for your career. Go and don't dwell on your fears. Besides you can stay in touch with your family given today's technologies ... 'tis not the dark ages. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.