Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 PM

335 posts, read 1,435,622 times

Advertisements

badlands of south dakota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 12:18 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Natural:

1. Yellowstone
2. Grand Tetons
3. Rockies
4. Hot Springs, AK
5. Arches NP
6. Half Dome
7. Black Hills

Man made:

1. Mt. Rushmore
2. Sears Tower
3. St. Louis arch
4. Empire State Building
5. Crazy Horse monument
6. Bellagio's fountains
7. Wrigley Field or Fenway Park

Old 07-07-2007, 01:07 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,423 times
Fort Pitt Tunnel
Roswell
The Badlands
Chesapeake Bay Bridge
Gateway Arch
Las Vegas
Cleveland

... yes, it's a joke list, because Ann Arbor and the Big Mac Bridge aren't on it.

Ohio is one of the wonders of the country ... wondering why it exists!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:16 AM

150 posts, read 688,904 times
no Astrodome?

Old 07-07-2007, 10:39 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Mt Davis at the Oakland Coliseum

I still wonder why it was built.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:07 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Fort Pitt Tunnel
Roswell
The Badlands
Chesapeake Bay Bridge
Gateway Arch
Las Vegas
Cleveland

... yes, it's a joke list, because Ann Arbor and the Big Mac Bridge aren't on it.

Ohio is one of the wonders of the country ... wondering why it exists!
was wondering how long it would take someone to mention the bridge, tunnel, bridge, tunnel, bridge, tunnel, bridge..

and I don't get the Ann Arbor part? I'm from there originally and love it, but it's nothing like an actual wonder.

some I would mention would be Big Sur (something that is a picture waiting to be taken at every step), the New York skyline just because it's freaking huge, the southern California highway system, Michigan (the easiest map in the world) and the USA as a whole, just because it's amazing how something this great all happens to be in the same country

Old 07-07-2007, 11:07 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,341 times
When I started this thread, I was thinking about manmade wonders, but I suppose natural ones are ok too.

Here is my list in no particular order.

Empire State Building - There are many awesome skycrappers in the U.S. but I think this one is the best.

Pentagon - A huge office building built like a fortress. The anti-war crowd probably won't like this nomination though.

That NORAD base in Colorado - I can't remember the proper name for it, but the base built into a mountain to withstand a nuclear attack. Anti-war types won't like this one either.

The Goldengate Bridge - There are many great bridges in the U.S. but this one is an icon.

Astrodome - There are many bigger and better stadiums now, but the Astrodome remains an icon.

Hoover Dam - Still awesome.

Big Dig - This may be the most controversial pick. But as I understand it a freeway system is being built underneath the city of Boston and has been under construction since the 1980's. Wow.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:18 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
When I started this thread, I was thinking about manmade wonders, but I suppose natural ones are ok too.

Here is my list in no particular order.

Empire State Building - There are many awesome skycrappers in the U.S. but I think this one is the best.

Pentagon - A huge office building built like a fortress. The anti-war crowd probably won't like this nomination though.

That NORAD base in Colorado - I can't remember the proper name for it, but the base built into a mountain to withstand a nuclear attack. Anti-war types won't like this one either.

The Goldengate Bridge - There are many great bridges in the U.S. but this one is an icon.

Astrodome - There are many bigger and better stadiums now, but the Astrodome remains an icon.

Hoover Dam - Still awesome.

Big Dig - This may be the most controversial pick. But as I understand it a freeway system is being built underneath the city of Boston and has been under construction since the 1980's. Wow.
Cheyenne Mountain Operations Center (CMOC), and soon to be transformed in to the Cheyenne Mountain Directorate (CMD) of NORAD-USNORTHCOM because the Air Force loves renaming things at least once per year.. good one, I totally didn't even think of that and it is definitely impressive.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
no Astrodome?
Maybe 30 years ago. LOL

Wrigley and Fenway are far more wonderous IMO.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:21 PM

150 posts, read 688,904 times
Quote:
Maybe 30 years ago. LOL

Wrigley and Fenway are far more wonderous IMO.
ok how are they man-made wonders, their just very old, that doesnt make them wonders, Astrodome is an icon, first domed stadium, just because there are bigger and better stadiums doesnt mean anything, there are much taller and modern skyscrapers besides Empire State Building, but that building still is an icon, wouldnt you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.