Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 05:37 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
"Washington was very peculiar. The train station, Union Station, was the point where--as you traveled from the North--you changed trains. Until you arrived at Union Station, you could sit anywhere you wanted to as you traveled from the North; but when you got to Washington, D.C., the trains became segregated. There were black cars, and there were white cars. So, as you went further south, you were segregated into black cars and white cars. At Union Station. Where the laws are made right across the street."

hehehe--You just proved DC is northern. People were allowed to travel to DC until they got to DC and ventured farther south.
Can you not read? A black man traveling from Philadelphia would be forced to move and give up his seat to a white man once he arrived at Union Station. This was because the District of Columbia was a Jim Crow jurisdiction just like Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 05:43 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's funny how people can conveniently find and rely on various sources of information when it suits their agenda. For example, many will make the argument that DC and Maryland are northern because it's architecture and density are more "in line with northern cities." However, they'll completely ignore the fact that slavery in DC and Maryland was more "in line with" that of southern states, not northern states. There were NO slaves in Pennsylvania at the start of the Civil War and 90,000 slaves in Maryland. But that's another fact you conveniently ignore. The critical difference between Maryland and New York is that slavery was still very much a de facto institution in the former in 1861.

No one will ever admit that DC is southern because liberals find the notion of living in the American South to be appalling. Historically, culturally, and demographically, however, DC and Maryland have more in common with the American South than they do with the American North. The exception to this is Baltimore, which could more understandably be considered a northern city than DC.
No, what's funny is how you pick and choose what you want to reply to. Pennsylvania didn't finish getting rid of all it's slaves until 1845, and New Jersey until 1865. What do you think of that? I'm not ignoring anything. Yeah, they had slaves in Maryland, but as we already discussed just like two minutes ago, slavery doesn't make a Southern state. You're ignoring this as hard as you can though. Maryland still voted down secession and opted to side with the Union and not because of some junk about burning cities you just made up like two minutes ago too.

And what does politics have to do with this? Is everything politics now? I'm not sure if you just called me a liberal, but try again, I'm pretty much a half and half. And doesn't that genius comment work both ways, maybe people in the South just don't wanna admit it's Northern now?

And why don't you give me your answer to this?

"Atlanta is nowhere near Baltimore and the rest of the Northeast, and can't integrate with the rest of the Northeast coast in the same way, it's really that simple.

If a region can't grow beyond it's own confines, how did Bos-Wash even develop? How did the NY area grow into SW CT? How did the Bay Area in NorCal happen? How did Florida become Southern after it was bought from Spain and how did California become American after the Mexican-American war?
"

Old 11-02-2010, 05:46 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
PPl make fun of you bc you live in ARLINGTON.....everybody says "yall" on the MD side I dont know anything about no Arlington, VA
No one has dared to make fun of where I choose to reside when they're not willing to pay my rent, so that's a non-issue in my life.

I never said that no one in the state of Maryland ever said "y'all".

I stand by my previous argument.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 PM

499 posts, read 668,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
As a native of Frederick County, i can whole-heartedly say it resembles the north far more than the south
Were you hibernating all that time?

Let me ask you a question, do you think Frederick and Montgomery counties are equivalents of each other, sharing so many similarities that they could be considered twins?

Frederick is one of the most conservative counties in Maryland, its Maryland's equivalent to Prince William County, Va or Loudon Co, Va.

Here's a few reasons why,

3 of 5 County Commissioners are Republican

"Frederick County is one of the most historically Republican counties in Maryland. It has not voted for a Democrat for president since 1964 when it voted for Lyndon B. Johnson. In 2004 George W. Bush defeated John Kerry 59-39%.[3] In 2008 John McCain defeated Barack Obama 49.62%-48.58% or a margin of 1,157 votes.[4]"

Frederick County, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very anti-illegal immigration, Frederick has taken the greatest steps in eliminating this problem, and was one of if not the first Maryland county to participate in the ICE special programs.

They are so sick of Annapolis they even introduced a bill to secede from the state.

They actually did a study to see how much was spent on illegal immigration, especially in public schools.

It's not as southern as a county in Alabama or Arkansas but it is closer to a county in Atlanta than one in Boston. One could even say some counties in Atlanta metro are more "northern" than Frederick.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:55 PM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Washington, D.C. and Maryland was fortunate to decide to remain in the Union during the Civil War and end up on the winning side of history. Those from Maryland who had Confederate sympathies defected across the Potomac River into Virginia. It's a gamble they took and lost. Let's not re-fight 150-year-old battles. :-)

Old 11-02-2010, 06:37 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,589 times
So what if Frederick County has 3/5 Republican County Commissioners and has taken a tough stand on illegal immigration. Have you ever gone to Maricopa County, Arizona or DuPage County, Illinois? They are predominantly Republican and have taken tough stands on illegal immigration.

Likewise, Dallas is a sanctuary city. Does that make it northern?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 PM

175 posts, read 287,244 times
skip to 0:30, do DC dudes rap like southerners do?

(Explicit Language, view at your own risk)******

others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEFl4RXgP8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxb-o76AM7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIbqNRrOyaY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9osFlcjmOw8

Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 PM

442 posts, read 828,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
So what if Frederick County has 3/5 Republican County Commissioners and has taken a tough stand on illegal immigration. Have you ever gone to Maricopa County, Arizona or DuPage County, Illinois? They are predominantly Republican and have taken tough stands on illegal immigration.

He is using your narrow stereotypical definition. So I guess that would make Dallas " Northern".

Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
Were you hibernating all that time?

Let me ask you a question, do you think Frederick and Montgomery counties are equivalents of each other, sharing so many similarities that they could be considered twins?

Frederick is one of the most conservative counties in Maryland, its Maryland's equivalent to Prince William County, Va or Loudon Co, Va.

Here's a few reasons why,

3 of 5 County Commissioners are Republican

"Frederick County is one of the most historically Republican counties in Maryland. It has not voted for a Democrat for president since 1964 when it voted for Lyndon B. Johnson. In 2004 George W. Bush defeated John Kerry 59-39%.[3] In 2008 John McCain defeated Barack Obama 49.62%-48.58% or a margin of 1,157 votes.[4]"

Frederick County, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very anti-illegal immigration, Frederick has taken the greatest steps in eliminating this problem, and was one of if not the first Maryland county to participate in the ICE special programs.

They are so sick of Annapolis they even introduced a bill to secede from the state.

They actually did a study to see how much was spent on illegal immigration, especially in public schools.

It's not as southern as a county in Alabama or Arkansas but it is closer to a county in Atlanta than one in Boston. One could even say some counties in Atlanta metro are more "northern" than Frederick.
A locals perspective > Yours

Sorry.

On a side note, as shown in the presidential elections, Frederick is a very even split of Democrats and Republicans. Not so republican as you are trying to say.

...and the gun keeps backfiring on you with your Frederick argument...

Old 11-02-2010, 06:57 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post

Maryland sure as hell ain't Northern....

And anyone that disputes it is doing so out of hatred and bitterness..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.