Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 AM

276 posts, read 432,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
As someone who is orginally from Jersey, has frequented NYC, Philly and Chicago frequently as well as being raised in Tennessee outside of Nashville (and also spent considerable time in Charlotte, Memphis and Atlanta) there are definite differences. Here is how I breakdown how a city is southern or northern.

Northern:
Cities tend to have higher population densities, specific ethnic groups amongs "whites" (Italians, Irish, Jews, Polish, German, etc). Most northern cities (with the exception of Chicago and other midwestern cities) tend to have very diverse Hispanic populations. Public transportation usually is more common in northern cities. People up north also tend to be big fans of pro sports leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL) and college sports do not get nearly as much attention (this is likely due to the fact that many pro sports team in almost every league tend to be much older in northern cities). Sprawl is usually relegated to the suburbs and not the central cities.

People in the north tend to have a different, more direct demeanor than southerners. Though I do want to note that this is mostly in the Northeast and people in the Midwest (including Chicago despite it's massive size) tend to have a more reserved demeanor.

Lastly, many northern cities tend to be heavily Catholic in the central cities due to Italians, Irish, Polish immigrants from the past and continued Hispanic presence. African Americans make up a significant percentage of the Protestant population, moreso than in the South. The North also is usually more politically liberal.

Southern:
Cities tend to have sprawl within central cities and even more sprawl in their suburbs (New Orleans and Miami tend to be notable exceptions). Public transportation in the major cities tend to be lacking compared to many of their northern counterparts.

There is not much diversity among "whites" except for transplants. Many white southerners tend to be largely of Scot-Irish descent. The Hispanic population (excluding Florida) tends to be overwhelmingly Mexican while Central Americans tend to be a significant minority.

Protestantism tends to be more prevelant, especially where there is not a large Hispanic community (with Louisiaina being an outlier due to its French heritage). People also tend to be more open with their religion. My mother is pretty devoutly Catholic, but due to her upbringing in New Jersey where they had more religous diversity (lots of Jewish people as well in many parts of the North), she tends to avoid discussing religion, even when she's in NJ.

College sports tend to be much more popular in the South, probably even moreso than many pro sports teams. Granted college sports tend to be the most popular in states with little or no major league sports (though Texas seems to be the state where both pro and college level sports tend to be very big almost equally. I believe that the Dallas Stars of the have the highest rate of sell outs for any southern NHL team).

The South tends to be more conservative politically and socially than the North.

Some of these are vast generalizations, but usually it's how I look at the North and South. Also to note people in the South tend to group both the Northeast and Midwest as "northern" in a cultural way. This is somewhat incorrect as the Midwest, while sharing many similarities with the Northeast (more so than the West or South), tends to be more laidback and not as fastback as their eastern counterparts. The Midwest is probably the the most politically moderate region in the nation. I think a lot of states out west tend to be either to the left or right, politically, with not much in-between as the Midwest.
Where does the D.C. region and perhaps Maryland and NoVa fit into this analysis? Because there seems to be features from both the north and south here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Other than my Dad, I don't know of a single person that likes NASCAR, I get the impression that it's more of a Midwestern thing.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:56 AM

276 posts, read 432,059 times
Nascar is boring.........
so is the Kentucky Derby.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:05 PM

166 posts, read 611,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Inc. View Post
Where does the D.C. region and perhaps Maryland and NoVa fit into this analysis? Because there seems to be features from both the north and south here.
I've spent little time the DC/NoVA area, so personally I would not know. Historically, Baltimore and DC have historial characteristics to both the North and the South. My best friend went to Washington, D.C. for the first time last spring to see an uncle of his. When he got back, he told me how different everything was and that it was good to be back in the South (He's a native Tennessean).

Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
is this a serious question?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Most northern cities (with the exception of Chicago and other midwestern cities) tend to have very diverse Hispanic populations. .
Chicago has long had a substantial Hispanic population. Historically, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans, now Central Americans are increasing in numbers. Detroit, St Paul and Minneapolis and Milwaukee also have large Hispanic populations. I suspect most other large Midwestern cities do as well, tho not as familiar.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
As someone who is orginally from Jersey, has frequented NYC, Philly and Chicago frequently as well as being raised in Tennessee outside of Nashville (and also spent considerable time in Charlotte, Memphis and Atlanta) there are definite differences. Here is how I breakdown how a city is southern or northern.

Northern:
Cities tend to have higher population densities, specific ethnic groups amongs "whites" (Italians, Irish, Jews, Polish, German, etc). Most northern cities (with the exception of Chicago and other midwestern cities) tend to have very diverse Hispanic populations. Public transportation usually is more common in northern cities. People up north also tend to be big fans of pro sports leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL) and college sports do not get nearly as much attention (this is likely due to the fact that many pro sports team in almost every league tend to be much older in northern cities). Sprawl is usually relegated to the suburbs and not the central cities.

People in the north tend to have a different, more direct demeanor than southerners. Though I do want to note that this is mostly in the Northeast and people in the Midwest (including Chicago despite it's massive size) tend to have a more reserved demeanor.

Lastly, many northern cities tend to be heavily Catholic in the central cities due to Italians, Irish, Polish immigrants from the past and continued Hispanic presence. African Americans make up a significant percentage of the Protestant population, moreso than in the South. The North also is usually more politically liberal.

Southern:
Cities tend to have sprawl within central cities and even more sprawl in their suburbs (New Orleans and Miami tend to be notable exceptions). Public transportation in the major cities tend to be lacking compared to many of their northern counterparts.

There is not much diversity among "whites" except for transplants. Many white southerners tend to be largely of Scot-Irish descent. The Hispanic population (excluding Florida) tends to be overwhelmingly Mexican while Central Americans tend to be a significant minority.

Protestantism tends to be more prevelant, especially where there is not a large Hispanic community (with Louisiaina being an outlier due to its French heritage). People also tend to be more open with their religion. My mother is pretty devoutly Catholic, but due to her upbringing in New Jersey where they had more religous diversity (lots of Jewish people as well in many parts of the North), she tends to avoid discussing religion, even when she's in NJ.

College sports tend to be much more popular in the South, probably even moreso than many pro sports teams. Granted college sports tend to be the most popular in states with little or no major league sports (though Texas seems to be the state where both pro and college level sports tend to be very big almost equally. I believe that the Dallas Stars of the have the highest rate of sell outs for any southern NHL team).

The South tends to be more conservative politically and socially than the North.

Some of these are vast generalizations, but usually it's how I look at the North and South. Also to note people in the South tend to group both the Northeast and Midwest as "northern" in a cultural way. This is somewhat incorrect as the Midwest, while sharing many similarities with the Northeast (more so than the West or South), tends to be more laidback and not as fastback as their eastern counterparts. The Midwest is probably the the most politically moderate region in the nation. I think a lot of states out west tend to be either to the left or right, politically, with not much in-between as the Midwest.

Excellent post; summarizes the differences very well

Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,049 times
I see people saying "well chicago & LA have sprawl" But its not the same.

For example. In north houston, you can be in city limits, actually close to downtown and be in a residental area and only see one or 2 houses per street, and see a bunch of trees.
Go to southside houston, still easily in city limits and you will see farms, animals, and an extremely low density.

Go to westside Atlanta, and its the same as north houston, south atlanta is more like west charlotte in that you will be driving and see tons of houses and businesses, than be in the woods for 10 minutes before you see more houses and businesses, and be on a main road the whole time.

Overally cities in the south are usually not laid out in a strict grid, and there is TONS of trees. I know in alot of southern major cities (charlotte, atlanta, etc.) you can be 10 minutes from downtown and be surrounded by woods, and theres so many trees you can even see the massive skyline just down the road.

Thats a southern feel. Some southern cities don't have that. New Orleans and all of central and south florida comes to mind.

Also if you go to family owned gas stations and even some chains in the south they serve fried chicken and cornbread instead of hot dogs and chips.

With the exception of texas and florida, southern states tend to have very few latinos (most of them being mexican) and a ton of blacks. At least 1/4 of southern cities are at least 35% black, and there not "ghetto cities" like all black cities up north, theres black suburbs in almost every major southern city, especially Atlanta, In atlanta and even Charlotte there are suburbs with mansions and golf courses that are 40%+ black.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:47 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,049 times
Quote:
I've spent little time the DC/NoVA area, so personally I would not know. Historically, Baltimore and DC have historial characteristics to both the North and the South. My best friend went to Washington, D.C. for the first time last spring to see an uncle of his. When he got back, he told me how different everything was and that it was good to be back in the South (He's a native Tennessean).
Baltimore and DC are not the south. There is NOTHING southern about Baltimore and DC. They are very urban, you can't find a city in the south that favors either, but plenty of northern cities favor them, especially baltimore.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:45 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
but the poster said "sports (preference for NASCAR)" That just sounds ridiculous. Southern people dont have a preference for NASCAR over other sports. More people like football, baseball, and basketball than NASCAR.
Yep. NASCAR does not hold a candle to the popularity of college football in the South and in Texas, NASCAR does not hold a candle to Pro Football, MLB, or the NBA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.