Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 04:38 PM

57 posts, read 146,719 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how people from areas with expensive housing dealt with the situation.

I am from Southeastern Mass and the housing here is crazy. Like you need minimum $300k to buy a decent house anything less than that is really small or else needs a ton of work or is really old. I'm feeling pretty discouraged lately that we'll never be able to buy a house. My boyfriend and I live in an apartment that costs $1025/month in rent. Together we make $80k a year before taxes and I have about $600/month in student loan payments and am paying off my credit cards now. We both have pretty good credit. However at our current gross salary and monthly obligations (neither of which I think will change much soon). When I calculate how much home I can afford it mostly says between 200k-250k depending on the calculator. Unless house prices go down a lot here I don't see how I could afford a decent home, but everyone always tells me never to move for home prices. I should note that I am still at my first job out of college due to the economy and its not really a career so to speak, just a job to pay the bills.

Has anyone looked for a job and moved to another area just because they couldn't afford house prices where they were from? House prices are a lot cheaper in Western Mass but my boyfriend pretty much hates that idea. Also, we've been talking about getting married for a while but he absolutely will not until we have a house to live in.

I have toyed with the idea of moving before, because I'm not a big fan of the weather and it's so expensive but I'm just not sure about jobs and all my family and friends are here. It just feels like the dream of homeownership and starting a family are pretty much impossible here. Anyone have experience feeling like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 10:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
It sounds like your boyfriend has a lot of really rigid ideas. Bordering on the unhealthy.

Most of the people I know who own their own home think of it more as a nightmare than a dream.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:05 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
What about Rhode Island?
It's cheaper and close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.