Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:23 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post
Say you from any other city and people will have their ears open, put D.C. all they think about is the capitol, monument, white house, etc. I honestly wish all of those buildings would just vanish, they destroy D.C. and keep Washington alive. I'll be glad when I finally move from this city though, no one seems to really give a damn about it and gentrification is further destroying its character. So whats left?

I think the monuments give the city character. While seeing people being pushed out of their homes is a bad thing, I can't see the benefit of DC returning to the days of being a dumpy war zone. There are definitely bad things about gentrification but the good of gentrification outweighs the bad.

I will have to agree the others that gang violence is not something that needs to be glorified. When people think of DC they don't usually think about gang violence that's a good thing. Having a good image is well for lack of a better word...good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 04:13 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
yep, pretty much. Every see that show "gangland" on history channel? A bunch of BS and exaggerations.
yep I agree to an extent. Like someone else said maybe not Chicago gangs but all in all.....most of the bs is exaggerated

even the OP usin New Jack City as a rep of NYC is exaggerated seeing as the whole story line wasn't even based on any NYC drug dealers....just shows you how bs some of that stuff is smh

Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
yep I agree to an extent. Like someone else said maybe not Chicago gangs but all in all.....most of the bs is exaggerated

even the OP usin New Jack City as a rep of NYC is exaggerated seeing as the whole story line wasn't even based on any NYC drug dealers....just shows you how bs some of that stuff is smh
I've been in the same circle as a few people in one of the "gangs" listed and the show basically approached them and told them they were doing a show whether they liked it or not. They said they could be interviewed to give their side of the story. If they didn't want to be interviewed they were going to the show, making them look bad. So they were basically forced to do it. Then the interviews were heavily edited and some outright lies were thrown in there. This group of people are no more violent then a typical group of frat boys, but the show made them out to be drug dealing murderers who will stab you for giving a dirty look.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I've been in the same circle as a few people in one of the "gangs" listed and the show basically approached them and told them they were doing a show whether they liked it or not. They said they could be interviewed to give their side of the story. If they didn't want to be interviewed they were going to the show, making them look bad. So they were basically forced to do it. Then the interviews were heavily edited and some outright lies were thrown in there. This group of people are no more violent then a typical group of frat boys, but the show made them out to be drug dealing murderers who will stab you for giving a dirty look.
I could believe it

Old 11-09-2010, 11:54 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
I don't think Detroit has mainstream street gangs either. But I could be wrong!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
****Corrected title: Why is DC the only city that doesn't have mainstream gangs?*****

Okay I know this could probably go in the DC forum but this is a national subject too.

Okay, we have MS-13 in the suburbs and a little in certain neighborhoods. Bloods and crips are in a few neighborhoods in DC proper and the suburbs as well. But its not mainstream in this area. DC is mostly a street crew city, meaning you have crews that are from certain neighborhoods, blocks, or apartment complexes. A lot of these crews do beef and there are countless murders and jumpings because of it. Hell because of a certain beef in this city a certain crew is assigned to another high school and middle school all the way across the city just in order to separate them as much as possible, even though these two crews live only 3 blocks apart. Other than that you dont see too many mainstream gangs here like you see in other cities.
DC has 2 of the most crooked ruthless gangs in the nation....the Democrats and the Republicans.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I don't think Detroit has mainstream street gangs either. But I could be wrong!
not really detroit isn't a gang city.

besides BMF.......and the movie New Jack city was based on one of our "gangs" (the chambers brothers) other than that no

Old 11-10-2010, 05:24 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Anyone who has been to DC (The real DC) knows that place is infested with violence and ignorance. However, DC doesn't really have gangs. They got those block crews. Like every street has a crew.
Um, no. Infested with violence and ignorance? When was the last time you were here? DC is not that violent at all and mos tof the crime is confined to a small area. Being a fireman in the city I think I know a little bit more about our crime than you.

Quote:
Why do people always think DC is all about politics 100% of the time.
Growing up could give a damn about it, all I cared about i making it home without being jumped, robbed, or shot, which all have happened to me at one point. I actually wish I wasn't from D.C. sometimes because most people don't know what really goes on here and how bad it used to be. Say you from any other city and people will have their ears open, put D.C. all they think about is the capitol, monument, white house, etc. I honestly wish all of those buildings would just vanish, they destroy D.C. and keep Washington alive. I'll be glad when I finally move from this city though, no one seems to really give a damn about it and gentrification is further destroying its character. So whats left?

In other cities, the media portrays what went on in that city, every city but D.C.

I mean I'll just give small examples:

NYC= New Jack City
LA = Boyz in the hood
Chicago = Hardball
Miami = Scarfce
Atlanta = ATL
Baltimore = The Wire
SF Bay Area = Dangerous Minds

and all the other cities is just word of mouth.

But D.C., man we got it the worse.
DC isn't that bad at all man. Stop crying. Sure, it had it's problems in the 80s and 90s, but now its a very clean and safe city. The little crime that does happen, happens in wards 7 and 8 only for the most part. You make DC sound much worse than it is.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:36 PM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Whatever crimes happen in D.C. have practically zero effect on upper-middle class neighborhoods. So, if you live in those places, it's as if D.C. crime doesn't even exist.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqfG4...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.