Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 10:18 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

We always here about how DC is paralized to do anything good for the country so the Governors are saying they are taking over and inovating their states i.e. economics, biotech, energy, medicine or health care etc......

So is there anything in your state that your governor is doing to improve the lot of its citizens...

Here's an example in my state of New Mexico. The Govenor (Richardson) pushed for and was approved by the legislature and citizens voting on it to approve the newest Spaceport in america at around $300 million to create it. When completed there will be space tourism flights out of it and already many high tech aviation/space companies are coming to New Mexico do to build manufacturing plants of this new space craft and lots of high tech futuristic jobs etc...with them.

Thats just one example now what about your Governor !

Sidenote: Please leave politics out of this. Who cares if Dem or Rep. Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 11:55 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I wish we had a dynamic governor. The governor of Illinois is a joke. And this has nothing to do with my political leanings as he is associated with the party I usually vote for, but he is a joke nonetheless and the sooner he is gone, the better.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Colorado's new governor, Bill Ritter, recently froze property taxes to give more money to schools. That sounds wierd, but school property taxes go down here as assessed valuation goes up, so the schools will get more money this way. It is about time a governor of this state made education a priority.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:16 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,684 times
I was a registered Dem and I dislike Ritter (who is a Democrat) very much. He seems to want to drive alot of business and people outside of the state of Colorado besides doesnt he know that in Colorado you need to put a vote to the people for a tax increase.

Ritter and this state legislature are dangerous for Colorado's economic well-being they have been in office for just months and the tax increases not just at state level but forcing dont throats of local politicians also are already under way. Its just incredibly sad a great state with such great people that had one of the biggest economic downturns since the great depression in the early 2000s is being victimized again by Ritter and the Dem legislature. These are not traditional moderate Coloradoans they are extremeists.

I guess if you can consider extremist, attempting to shove tax increases down local politicians throats at the state level dynamic then yes Colorado has a dynamic governor. What a wonderful a state and to think this guy is from Aurora.

Colorado is best when it is all Repub in my opinion. Look at the Owens/Repub legislature years of 1998-2000 and how good those years was for Colorado. Colorado Springs is heavily repub is the best-run city in Colorado IMO even though Hickenlooper isnt bad. If the whole state was chaired by legislatures from El Paso County (Colorado Springs) it would be in the state's best interests.

Colorado has Amendment 23 which is nothing more but a give away to those aggressive teachers labor machines who seek to drive property taxes up and tempt some business and people out of the state by raising property taxes and needs to be repealed, I have no respect for those in the teaching profession in the state of Colorado after that was put into the state constitution.

I dont understand what it is with these teacher labor machines especially when it comes old windowers and people like that they just want drive them into the soup kitchens by raising their property taxes, while those teachers have their nice luxury cars. One again Colorado teachers who like tax increases, please if you want a raise move to New Jersey or Wisconsin where the property taxes are high and leave Coloradoans and the low-property tax tradition alone that has been attracting business and people at one of the nations highest rates for decades until the Dem legislature first arrived in the early 2000s.

Teachers that dont even know basic economic policy out to ruin the great state of Colorado with their greddy little amendment. Overall, a lot of teachers dont realize this Colorado's low property taxes are legendary and if they dont like it they need to leave and teach in Wisconsin or New Jersey where they are very high.

Anyway, Pawlenty in Minnesota and Heineman in Nebraska are decent, but not great governors I didnt like them in the beginning. But both are are big on fiscal consevatism at the state level which is very important when there are hundreds of millions of households and businesses who can move anywhere they want.

Last edited by MattDen; 07-08-2007 at 02:25 PM..

Old 07-08-2007, 05:31 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,411 times
Haley Barbour of MS was excellent in how he handled the aftermath of Katrina. He also started a fitness program entitled Let's Go Walkin' Mississippi to address the health and wellness concerns of the fattest state in the Union. Go, Gov. Barbour.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:13 PM

150 posts, read 519,607 times
Gov Dave and the wyoming ledgislatur passed the hathaway scollarship for all students in the state. And he keeps the heat on the us fish and wildelife over the wolf isue.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
MattDen: I agree with you to a certain extent about the teacher's unions, but this state's support of education has always been low on the priority list. I made a decision a number of years ago not to vote for any more taxes for state-wide open space and recreation issues until the state started funding education properly. There are school buildings in poorer communities that should be condemned! Parents pay fees for sports and other things that there is no charge for in many states.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:45 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
Who could be more dynamic than the 'GOVERNATOR'?

Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
I'm not sure what you mean by 'Dynamic' - I see that as sort of a code language for a governor who likes to spend money.

But South Carolina's Mark Sanford is the only politician that I really like, at any level of government. SC has an unusually strong legislative system, which severely limits the governor's power. Even so, Sanford is the master of the veto. This guy allows no wasteful spending at all. He's like the adult supervision over the SC legislature, who will rubber-stamp hundreds of pet projects that "sneak" their way into our budget every year.

It's not glamorous, and it takes a certain political leaning to appreciate, but Sanford has single-handedly restored my faith in our political system. There is talk that you'll see him running for president in '08 or '12, but I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.