Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:58 PM

180 posts, read 526,895 times

Advertisements

So here's the scoop.

I currently work for a company that I can easily transfer with, but I am very unhappy with the direction the company is heading. I know I should be grateful to have my job, but I really am considering a change.

I live in Texas and don't like it here either. I am considering relocating and possibly choosing to not transfer with my current employer and look for something whereever I move. I make very little anyway, and could live my lifestyle on next to minimum wage. I have some money saved up that would last me two years if needed.

My main job history consists of retail and tourism related jobs. I would like to find a city where I would have a chance of seeking either.

This is what I'd like:

A somewhat smaller city, with a metro under 500K for sure. I would like a city that is not spawled out through countless suburbs.

A city with a touch of tourism, but not solely dependent on it. It could be a stopover point or a destination point. It would need to be some place where tourism is a year round business, not for only a few months.

I would love to live in a place that is "gateway" to scenic areas or national parks. But the seasonal aspect could be an issue. For example, Rapid City, SD would be great, but the tourism season is only from late Spring to early Fall.

I need a place that is not too expensive to rent an apartment, or super hard to find one.

Since I am willing to work part-time and at lower wages, hopefully I could find work easier than someone who is not. Unemployment under 10% would be preferred, as anything above that will likely be impossible to find work. A city like Las Vegas would not work. Too big, and too many people looking for work.

Obviously, I would want a safe place with lower crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
Reno/Tahoe?

Old 11-04-2010, 03:42 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Orlando

Old 11-04-2010, 06:51 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I suggest Asheville. Somewhat 'touristy', but it doesn't rely completely on tourism. Beautiful mountain setting just east of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Explore Asheville, NC | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site

Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Maybe look into Knoxville TN. Big enough to offer plenty of retail opportunities, and it puts you in the the area of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, a year round tourist destination. Gatlinburg Attraction, Ski Resort & Amusement Park | Ober Gatlinburg

Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Boulder Colorado?

Sedona?

Pacific Coast areas?

Savannah?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
Philadelphia

Philadelphia - Official Visitor Site - visitphilly.com

Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I sure wouldn't advise Asheville in your case. It is so "cool" all the young people flock there, rents are high and jobs are scarce. So unless your soul is really crying out for a new age or hippe mecca I'd pass that by.

Knoxville, by contrast is bigger and overall more boring, but it is relatively easy to find a job (at least before the economy tanked). There are plenty of interesting young people, just more diluted than Asheville. It should be pretty easy to make a life for yourself if you don't mind roommates.

If you really like the tourist vibe jobs will be plentiful in Pigeon Forge during the season. The commute would be a hassle but you'd have a much more rounded social life living in Knoxville. Better choice of housing, too. The other option is just taking a generic retail job in town.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I was going to suggest San Antonio until I read that you don't like living in Texas and wanted a metro that is about 1/4 the size of San Antonio's.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Maybe Gettysburg PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.