Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 02:26 PM

142 posts, read 933,694 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to research areas of the country that will be great for us once we're empty nesters, not necessarily retired. We both play tennis and enjoy mountains, beaches, hiking, gardening, and doing things outdoors. We currently live in the Phoenix, AZ area but are hoping to move in about 10 years. I don't think we could afford to live in San Diego as the cost of living and the earthquake thing would be too much for me, but the area sure does appeal to me(along with the other few million people that crowd SD County).

So, I could either beaches or mountains. Dh wants beaches but we both hate humidity. Um, not sure you can have beaches without humidity so we'd have to compromise there. Places I've thought of looking into: the beach areas of Virginia, GA, NC, and SC. I've also thought that if we went for mountains we'd probably look into New Mexico, Idaho, or even Texas(I know they don't have a lot of mountains but there are some nice rolling hill areas). Durango, CO and Grand Junction, CO have also come up in our conversations but I'm not a big snow person so I'm not sold yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 03:16 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtogrif View Post
I'm looking to research areas of the country that will be great for us once we're empty nesters, not necessarily retired. We both play tennis and enjoy mountains, beaches, hiking, gardening, and doing things outdoors. We currently live in the Phoenix, AZ area but are hoping to move in about 10 years. I don't think we could afford to live in San Diego as the cost of living and the earthquake thing would be too much for me, but the area sure does appeal to me(along with the other few million people that crowd SD County).

So, I could either beaches or mountains. Dh wants beaches but we both hate humidity. Um, not sure you can have beaches without humidity so we'd have to compromise there. Places I've thought of looking into: the beach areas of Virginia, GA, NC, and SC. I've also thought that if we went for mountains we'd probably look into New Mexico, Idaho, or even Texas(I know they don't have a lot of mountains but there are some nice rolling hill areas). Durango, CO and Grand Junction, CO have also come up in our conversations but I'm not a big snow person so I'm not sold yet.
Looks like you're very torn!

I just read a great article about Chattanooga, Tennessee being mentioned as a new "top retirement city". Many of the usual cities people think of in terms of retirement meccas have priced most people out of moving there. Who wants to be house poor in retirement? Chattanooga is amazingly sophisticated and has a lot to offer in terms of outdoor activities. You'll enjoy a mild four season climate without natural disaster risk factors. Real Estate is quite affordable with some great new-construction condominiums in the downtown area overlooking the Tennessee River or in trendy North Chattanooga in the under 300K range.

Chattanooga, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Outdoor Chattanooga
Welcome to NorthShore Chattanooga!
About Chattanooga

Old 11-07-2010, 06:34 PM

142 posts, read 933,694 times
Interesting. I would have never thought of Tennessee. Thx

Old 11-07-2010, 06:51 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,191,352 times
Look into Knoxville, Tn also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.