Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Just returned from some errands:
shops on chestnut street philadelphia - Google Maps

Yea, it's a ghost town out there.

Sarcasm if oft misunderstood in this forum

but the area around Walnut and Chestnut can be quite vibrant for shopping; Market East not so much

But in all honesty at best there are only a handful of cities with a more vibrant DT shopping area than this area of Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 12:55 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Just returned from some errands:
shops on chestnut street philadelphia - Google Maps

Yea, it's a ghost town out there.
You must have missed the umpteen empty store fronts with "for lease" signs in them.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:55 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You must have missed the umpteen empty store fronts with "for lease" signs in them.
That's probably true in "CD World." Here in reality, however, it looks pretty vibrant.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:08 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Sarcasm if oft misunderstood in this forum

but the area around Walnut and Chestnut can be quite vibrant for shopping; Market East not so much

But in all honesty at best there are only a handful of cities with a more vibrant DT shopping area than this area of Philly
I'll never learn. Figured if anyone clicked on the llnk (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...e&ved=0CAQQtgM), they would find a pretty impressive array of shopping options ranging from dollar stores to Tiffany's. I could imagine any that are poorly managed could go out of business, however.

Quote:
I actually used to be the manager of a store in the Shops at Liberty Place which you refer to. My store was closed by the company due to "under-performing" in July 2009.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:07 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,989 times
Quote:
I actually used to be the manager of a store in the Shops at Liberty Place which you refer to. My store was closed by the company due to "under-performing" in July 2009. Currently 3/4 of the usable retail space is now empty due primarily to large firms bailing out of the buildings above the mall to new properties in University City and Society Hill. The demographics have unfortunately changed in downtown Philly (Center City). It used to feature an upscale demographic that would actually shop but now has been for whatever reason replaced by a more downmarket clientele that is comfortable with shopping the "black eye" on Market Street, The Gallery and the "urban stores" along Market Street. Walnut Street is the only venue remaining for upscale shopping and it too is riddled with vacancies and stores content to maintain a zero or low profit margin for a presence there. It's fascinating that a city the size of Philadelphia can't support a more vibrant shopping scene and that residents seem content with 30 minute or more drives (if in fact as a city dweller one has a car) to either King of Prussia or Cherry Hill Mall. In my opinion one can't crow about a downtown renaissance as Philly has with such a sad state of affairs for the retail sector.
Idk but whenever Im on walnut or chestnut shopping, they are packed with people shopping and they are vibrant. I would think that most of stores would be closed down if they weren't profitable (especially in this economy). I agree that the gallery sucks and needs to be closed down and rebuilt with something new such as the plans that kid posted. All in all, center city does pretty well when it comes to regular and high end shopping imo

Last edited by nephi215; 06-13-2011 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 05:44 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,424 times
In Seattle the largest stores are downtown not the malls. The flagship Nordstroms is 500,000 sq ft. all the flagship stores downtown cant be beat. Not to mention there is 6.1 million sq ft of retail total downtown. There is no mall that has Pike Place Market and Seattles urban flare.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:54 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
1) You obviously know nothing of the clothing industry. Your comment is elitist. I'm glad you have the money to go blow on some small boutique which imports things from China just like the mall does (which does have High quality things). And having someone make your dress doesn't count, because I highly doubt your wardrobe is filled with custom-made clothes. Your comment is not only elitist but also ignorant.

2) The mall doesn't?... I've been to malls where you can buy a pretzel for a buck and a $100 plate 200 feet away. Litterally, people actually GO TO THE MALL for the HIGH END restaurant.

3) I'll give you that... tee hee.

It's not that I LOVE malls, but many people are unfairly "hating on" malls. Yeah... they're ugly and suburban. That's the only real thing I dislike.
Much of the clothing I buy is made in America and Italy...NOT China. If we are talking ratty clothes I work out in, it's a different story. Your average mall does not have high end places. Upscale places are not the norm. I am speaking of your average mall.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:46 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
In Seattle the largest stores are downtown not the malls. The flagship Nordstroms is 500,000 sq ft. all the flagship stores downtown cant be beat. Not to mention there is 6.1 million sq ft of retail total downtown. There is no mall that has Pike Place Market and Seattles urban flare.
In Dallas it's the opposite.

The largest stores were in downtown in the mid 80s, but now they are located at the malls. The Dillard's at NorthPark Center is the largest store in Dallas with 299,500 sq ft of space (500 sq ft away from being 300,000 sq ft.) The store was originally 200,000 sq ft but a 3rd floor was added. This store is also Dillard's #1 store in sales.

There was a larger Dillard's at another mall but it closed in 2008. The store had 302,268 sq ft of space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.