Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
That is horrible to not have to option to shop in your downtown.
Just as equally horrible is the fact that ALL of Philadelphia's upscale Department Stores are not in Center City, but in a mall in suburban King of Prussia.

At least Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus, etc. in Orlando are in the City Limits - not in some suburban township.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 09:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Just as equally horrible is the fact that ALL of Philadelphia's upscale Department Stores are not in Center City, but in a mall in suburban King of Prussia.

At least Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus, etc. in Orlando are in the City Limits - not in some suburban township.

No John this is just flat out wrong - Saks and Macys are both within the city limits - one is a half block from City hall

And all of Philadelphia's high End shopping is in KOP - that is purely absurd

Rittenhouse Row/Walnut/Chestnut Streets is one the better urban shopping districts in any city center including many many high end boutiques and things you just frankly can't find in any mall

Old 11-22-2010, 09:37 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
No John this is just flat out wrong - Saks and Macys are both within the city limits - one is a half block from City hall

Rittenhouse Row/Walnut/Chestnut Streets is one the better urban shopping districts in any city center including many many high end boutiques and things you just frankly can't find in any mall
So true, I love Philadelphia shopping and lets not forget Jewelers Row. Absolutely awesome.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:42 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Welcome to Easton Town Center in Columbus, Ohio

http://www.thegreene.com/DirectoryMap.aspx

Providence Town Center | Directory

Three cornfield lifestyle centers, three lifestyle centers with streets running through them -- streets that weren't there before the development was built, three regional shopping destinations. Whaddaya know about that.

And I'm guessing you don't get out much. Also, I'm guessing your head is stuck in the sand if you can't acknowledge that not all lifestyle centers are built the same way.
Retail is my profession, yours? My point being your narrow focus is getting in the way of the overall topic. Three instances hardly dictate the overall picture.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:

I think he's insinuating that Macy's isn't "high end" which is pretty much accurate. The Saks is in fact just inside the city limits near Bala Cynwyd but for all practical purposes far enough away for most city residents to render it out of the loop in terms of accessibility. Philadelphia is a strange bird in that higher end department stores and big box retailers are a good drive away from downtown..particularly given the demographic of Center City residents. Though I think the answer lies within the fact there's such close proximity to The Gallery and Market East..

Old 11-22-2010, 09:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think he's insinuating that Macy's isn't "high end" which is pretty much accurate. The Saks is in fact just inside the city limits near Bala Cynwyd but for all practical purposes far enough away for most city residents to render it out of the loop in terms of accessibility. Philadelphia is a strange bird in that higher end department stores and big box retailers are a good drive away from downtown..particularly given the demographic of Center City residents. Though I think the answer lies within the fact there's such close proximity to The Gallery and Market East..

Oustide of Chicago there are not really malls ***** downtown - though i guess the gallery is, not a god one though

Either way myself in particular prefer shopping in an area like Rittenhouse but usually do go to malls every now and again - honestly I avoid KOP like the plaque, especially around the Holidays - on a side note I just saw Capital Grille opened in KOP - why a mall needs 5 high end steak houses I will never understand

Also some of the Malls in Jersey are actually closer to Center City

Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
That was exactly my point - I don't consider Macy's to be upscale, even though it does occupy the beautiful former flagship John Wanamakers location.

I actually didn't know about Saks being in the city. I thought they were out in Jenkintown, but now I recall that was a Lord & Taylor I was remembering.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Oustide of Chicago there are not really malls ***** downtown - though i guess the gallery is, not a god one though
San Francisco & Seattle have very nice Downtown malls.

Pacific Place in Seattle is actually connected to Nordstroms U.S. flagship store. Pacific Place - The Ultimate Shopping Experience

San Francisco Centre contains the West Coast flagship Bloomingdale's and a huge Nordstrom. Stores - Westfield San Francisco Centre (http://westfield.com/sanfrancisco/stores/ - broken link)

Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Three instances hardly dictate the overall picture.
Perhaps not, but they do get in the way of your uninformed blanket statements.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:06 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
San Francisco & Seattle have very nice Downtown malls.

Pacific Place in Seattle is actually connected to Nordstroms U.S. flagship store. Pacific Place - The Ultimate Shopping Experience

San Francisco Centre contains the West Coast flagship Bloomingdale's and a huge Nordstrom. Stores - Westfield San Francisco Centre (http://westfield.com/sanfrancisco/stores/ - broken link)
I actually went to San Francisco's mall and it was a nice upscale mall and many places looked like they were independent non-chains (the food cafeteria at least) with some chains like Borders or Barnes and Noble. I think malls are ok even in cities, as long as they don't destroy downtown's business because I really like walking around outside in downtown as it feels more special than walking in a mall. However during cold weather I actually think its good to have an indoor mall. I don't like malls in suburban areas because they don't feel special and I feel they contribute to sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.