Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:54 AM

142 posts, read 1,030,636 times

Advertisements

Which cities have nice beaches, an overall decent quality of life, yet are still affordable enough for middle class individuals to live in comfortably?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 03:01 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
There are wonderful beaches on MI's west coast, but of course they freeze over in the winter. I guess the question is: are you talking tropical beaches (ie Florida), mediterranean beaches (ie California), cold beaches (LOL like Oregon and Washington), or will any beach do?

Old 07-09-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
There are wonderful beaches on MI's west coast, but of course they freeze over in the winter. I guess the question is: are you talking tropical beaches (ie Florida), mediterranean beaches (ie California), cold beaches (LOL like Oregon and Washington), or will any beach do?
I want the thread open to any kind of beach town, but personally, I like tropical and mediterranean beaches much better....Oregon's coast has amazing beaches, and a relatively low cost of living...but yeah...6 months of cold, dreary rain....ugh

Old 07-09-2007, 03:39 PM

IMO, Florida has the best beaches in the nation, even better than Hawaii from what I understand. There are hundreds of miles of beachfront to choose from, and southern Florida is as tropical as it gets (hot sticky summers, warm winters, no snow ever). The only downside are the hurricanes of course....

Western coast? Id have to go with SoCal of course, especially the San Diego area, its beautiful. But then again its outrageously expensive, and I do mean outrageous. Midwest? Michigan has beautiful beaches, some with 300 ft tall sand dunes, its beautiful beyond belief. South Carolina also has nice beaches, and is a little more affordable than all others mentioned (minus MI).

Old 07-09-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
IMO, Florida has the best beaches in the nation, even better than Hawaii from what I understand. There are hundreds of miles of beachfront to choose from, and southern Florida is as tropical as it gets (hot sticky summers, warm winters, no snow ever). The only downside are the hurricanes of course....

Western coast? Id have to go with SoCal of course, especially the San Diego area, its beautiful. But then again its outrageously expensive, and I do mean outrageous. Midwest? Michigan has beautiful beaches, some with 300 ft tall sand dunes, its beautiful beyond belief. South Carolina also has nice beaches, and is a little more affordable than all others mentioned (minus MI).
Thanks...and I do agree; Florida has great beaches. I used to live there. I have been thinking about moving back, but Florida definitely has downsides... insane suburban sprawl, really bizarre politics, expensive housing market / home owners insurance. Still...those beaches are hard to beat....

Old 07-09-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
Thanks...and I do agree; Florida has great beaches. I used to live there. I have been thinking about moving back, but Florida definitely has downsides... insane suburban sprawl, really bizarre politics, expensive housing market / home owners insurance. Still...those beaches are hard to beat....
Yep, the bottom line is: if youre looking for great weather and unbeatable beaches, Florida is king. And its not really that expensive from what I see. On the way out from a local grocery store out here in St. Charles, IL (no beaches LOL), I picked up a Florida condo guide. Man, those are stinkin cheap compared to out here! The wife had the little light-bulb pop on above her head, I immediately shot it out with a mental bb gun: A little too humid for my tastes. Winters in Florida are the best though, I give it that much. Its the summer I couldnt take.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:30 PM

147 posts, read 690,371 times
from my experience as i used to live in central florida[space cost] there are many nice towns along the space coast such as satellite beach, indianatlantic, patrick shores. very nice . you might want to check those out.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:15 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
I suppose it depends upon your reference point, but Virginia Beach to me is a pretty affordable city and offers a decent quality of life. The beaches aren't Florida caliber but are nice enough, and the Outer Banks aren't that far of a drive away for a completely different sort of beach vibe.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:22 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,467 times
If you don't want the heat and problems of florida or the high costs if cali, look into Virginia Beach. Really nice, beachy feeling city and part of a growing region. Also, take a look at Charleston. Charleston metro could see alot of growth in the upcoming years but now its an unspoiled and affordable area.

Both very affordable-especially compared with just about all the stuff posted above.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:37 AM

147 posts, read 690,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I suppose it depends upon your reference point, but Virginia Beach to me is a pretty affordable city and offers a decent quality of life. The beaches aren't Florida caliber but are nice enough, and the Outer Banks aren't that far of a drive away for a completely different sort of beach vibe.
The only bad thing about Virginia Beach is that it might be to much of a resort town with resorts, condos, motels all along the coastline. Also the temperatures aern't ideal for year round living if your not into the cold temps because such in Jan and Feb temperatures average high 40's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.