Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 AM

323 posts, read 528,979 times

Advertisements

Great News, there is going to another royal wedding - It's been on the news for 2 days now - Should the news media just report it and move on considering all the other things that are going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 05:34 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
We were talking about this at work as well. Every damn news site was blasted with this as breaking news and the top story. We were confused because not a single person cared more than a passing nod of the head that it was happening.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:57 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
First I've heard about it. I personally don't give a rats ass what they do.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:05 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times
Its 2010, why should there even be Royalty.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 AM

323 posts, read 528,979 times
So glad it's not just me feeling this way!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
We were talking about this at work as well. Every damn news site was blasted with this as breaking news and the top story. We were confused because not a single person cared more than a passing nod of the head that it was happening.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:23 AM

1,641 posts, read 1,644,918 times
Are the United States of America's presidents and their families considered royal?
Everytime I read a magazine, book or article about american presidents , the Kennedy's are highly treated as The Camelots of America. I do not understand why we have to pay such royal consideration to a family of untouchable arrogants and criminals as the Kennedys in USA while criticizing the latest news of the british prince in the american media and his royal wedding. Personaly I do not give a damm about the british prince, but much more less about the "american Camelots"

Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
I quite like the idea of the royals and think they mostly do their role well - most of them have proper jobs and pay their own way these days. But really, the media fuss over what are basically two ordinary flesh-and-blood people who just happened to be in an extraordinary position is ridiculous enough in our own country and there's no need for America to be bothered. Apparently the wedding is going to generate tens of millions in revenue, much of it from Americans. Good question, why? It's like why did Europeans (on the continent more so than us) make such a big deal about you lot electing Obama when so long as he doesn't start any foreign wars it makes almost no difference to our lives whatsoever who's in charge.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
"Listen, strange women laying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power dervives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcial aquatic ceremony...you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart through a sword at you!"

Dennis

Old 11-17-2010, 05:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Good Lord, my mom is one of those people that talks about the British royals all the time, ack!
Do I start drinking now for Thanksgiving, cuz the royal wedding is gonna be all she talks about!

Old 11-17-2010, 05:20 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I don't really care much, but maybe something light and happy makes people feel better during a bad economy.

I actually like monarchy though, well to an extent. I think it's kind of neat to have a symbol of the nation that people can ooh over, but that has no political power. In the US our head of state and government is the same, which I kind of think is a bad idea. A head of government needs to do some of the unpleasant work of governance so they often don't make a good symbolic person to wave at and have cut ribbons. That being said I think the British royals, at this point, are so tarnished I'm not sure they're good for that either. I kind of prefer the Spanish or Japanese royals. Although if the British brought back the Jacobites, there's one in Liechtenstein I think, and kept their private life private maybe I could get interested again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.