Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 03:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,293,404 times

Advertisements

^All interesting points.

What is also interesting is the fact that to this day, the most extreme examples of segregation exist outside of the South. Take a look at the suburban areas of the large metros of the Midwest & Northeast, and compare them to those of the South. The differences are literally like night and day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 04:52 PM

3,377 posts, read 4,987,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
yea, but there were more jim crow laws in the south than anywhere else. lets just take interracial marriage and school segregation as examples.

notice a pattern?

lets throw lynching into that mix, see what that looked like:

to come on here and claim that northeasterners moving south singelhandedly changed the regions racist ways is false, but to deny the fact that the region has a history of racism is just ludicrous.
All I'm saying, although it was very concentrated in the south, it was not exclusively in the south, as some might think.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:12 PM

63 posts, read 93,383 times
How can it come as a shock that the lynchings of Blacks were of greater number in the South when the population of Black is most concentrated in the South. The fact that there were even lynchings in the North, given the very low Black population as compared to the South, leads me to believe that the number of lynchings would be much higher if that Black population in the North was comparable to that of the South. With the North having low Black populations, there was not much of a need for segregation. It was a non-issue. However, in the South, Blacks are the majority in some counties. Had the North had the Black population that the South had, one has to question whether segregation laws would have come about or not. The most northern limits of the Black Belt required segregation i.e. Maryland, Deleware. Maryland and Deleware aint Southern states. Had the Black Belt extended further north there is little to lead one to believe that segregation laws WOULD NOT have been established.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:28 PM

871 posts, read 2,236,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just.a.good.ol.boy View Post
How can it come as a shock that the lynchings of Blacks were of greater number in the South when the population of Black is most concentrated in the South. The fact that there were even lynchings in the North, given the very low Black population as compared to the South, leads me to believe that the number of lynchings would be much higher if that Black population in the North was comparable to that of the South. With the North having low Black populations, there was not much of a need for segregation. It was a non-issue. However, in the South, Blacks are the majority in some counties. Had the North had the Black population that the South had, one has to question whether segregation laws would have come about or not. The most northern limits of the Black Belt required segregation i.e. Maryland, Deleware. Maryland and Deleware aint Southern states. Had the Black Belt extended further north there is little to lead one to believe that segregation laws WOULD NOT have been established.
first off, there was no "need" for segregation anywhere, regardless of black population. we cant know if how the north would have handled its black population if it had it, but we sure as hell do know that the south handled it horribly. the south had black people (and a black belt) because it had slavery. New Jersey could have been part of the black belt, and it could have had black people for segregation later on because of it, but it abolished slavery in 1804. theres a lot of things that could have happened. but they didnt.

also, public school segregation was in place until 1954. the north had plenty of blacks by then (and had had them since the 1910's). same goes for anti-misegination laws.

as far as the lynchings go, kentucky and tennessee arent part of the black belt, yet they managed to put up pretty big lynching numbers, especially given the low populations those states had during that time period.

and i wouldnt call MD and Delaware southern states now, but they were at one point (when these laws were made).

i bring this up not to try to "prove" anything about todays southerners being racist (or the northerners of the past not being racist), but simply to correct false claims made earlier regarding lynching and jim crow laws being as prevalent in the north as they were in the south. that just plain aint true. you cant change history.

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 11-22-2010 at 06:37 PM..

Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,705,452 times
Also look at the colleges and universities that were forcefully desegregated by the federal court system. University of Alabama, University of Mississippi, Louisiana State University. Alabama was 1963.

They are still dealing with it in the south. Bob Jones University.

How about the integration of Little Rock Central High School? Arkansas is the south.

How many Northern governors ran on a segregation platform in the 1960s and 1970s?

George Wallace ran for President in 1972 as a segregationist. Strom Thurmond...

Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,770,184 times
I'm curious to what constitutes a southern state, alot of people in Maryland consider Maryland a southern state as do residents of lower Delaware. Delaware is split at the upper third by the C&D canal and those that live below call us northerners, Yanks.

BTW, desegregation hasn't worked as far as schools go in Delaware especially northern. Both populations white and black have suffered for it.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:19 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,705,452 times
I have never heard of Delaware being considered southern post WWII. I have been to Wilmington many times and it appears east coast.

Maryland is not southern, but some people living there might be more culturally tied to the south. As to Baltimore and its metro and DC metro, constituting a significant portion of MD's population, it is not southern anymore.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,260,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I didn't deny slavery in the slightest, I'm just trying to explain the legalities of southern secession in 1861.
Like I said, I saw where you're coming from; and as an academician I can agree with what you're saying and even agree with what you're saying. But as a black man I just can't swallow that pill.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,260,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
yea, but there were more jim crow laws in the south than anywhere else. lets just take interracial marriage and school segregation as examples.

notice a pattern?

lets throw lynching into that mix, see what that looked like:

to come on here and claim that northeasterners moving south singelhandedly changed the regions racist ways is false, but to deny the fact that the region has a history of racism is just ludicrous.
Those are the hottest maps ever. I need the links to those.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,770,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I have never heard of Delaware being considered southern post WWII. I have been to Wilmington many times and it appears east coast.

Maryland is not southern, but some people living there might be more culturally tied to the south. As to Baltimore and its metro and DC metro, constituting a significant portion of MD's population, it is not southern anymore.
Wilmington now has violent crime like Chester,PA or even worse, I would never consider Wilmington a southern city. I was talking about lower Delaware and the residents believe they are southern. Maryland outside the metro areas reminds me of the area between Philly and Pittsburgh in PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.