Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 09:25 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekkeron View Post
Even if there is any northeasternization of the South going on, it is for your own good my dear Southern friends. It's time for you guys to get out of that 60's time warp that your region is stuck in and join the civilized part of the country in the 21st century. But it's really up to y'all of course
It's really depends on what you define with "Civilized", it is much different than mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 11:22 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Even if there is any northeasternization of the South going on, it is for your own good my dear Southern friends. It's time for you guys to get out of that 60's time warp that your region is stuck in and join the civilized part of the country in the 21st century. But it's really up to y'all of course
Wow, all of this coming from someone in Nevada of all places, LOL. Maybe you can talk once your state gets some real industry.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:34 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I agree about the "I'm better attitude" BTW. Most of the southerners I know in the north have it less than Yankees in Dixie. Part of it might be the intimidation factor. Small town Georgia girl in Chicago has a lot to learn.

Ethnically, the south has been mostly Scotch-Irish or German Protestants and African Americans. Recently, there are more "ethnic" whites migrating to the south. Italians, Irish, Hispanics, (all Catholic--I do understand Louisiana has a lot of Catholics due to New Orleans), Jews, Asians, Greeks, etc.

Food is another example. All of these groups have created a demand for more ethnic flavored restaurants. Everyone on this forum cites Houston as a melting pot of food and that's the truth. But before Northerners or immigrants came to Houston, these restaurants were few and far between.

I was asking what JAGOB took issue with regarding the northeasternization of the south and I named these issues as possible examples.
You're very misinformed. Houston has been attracting foreigners for years. Northerners have little to do with Houston's diverse culture.

Houston even in the early 1900s had a significant Italian, Mexican, Jewish, and French population.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:50 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just.a.good.ol.boy View Post
My 8yr old niece just killed her 1st buck last week. She loves it. Its in our blood to hunt. She begged me and my brother to let her target practice with the .22 rifle today. We our proud of her. She's a straight lil country girl lol She said she'd shoot everything except a bunny rabbit lmao Btw, I never heard anyone ever honk the horn in North Carolina. Its like the horn dont even exist lol We will flash our lights but usually not immediately. We give the people the benefit of the doubt rather than just being rude off the bat. We also flash our lights if a cop is up ahead

You really are embarrassing yourself, wow teaching an 8 year old to kill, that's impressive. Plus she is a "straight" lil country girl.

Last edited by brent6969; 11-28-2010 at 07:58 AM..

Old 11-28-2010, 08:55 AM

27 posts, read 40,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Wow, all of this coming from someone in Nevada of all places, LOL. Maybe you can talk once your state gets some real industry.
Alright I'll give you that. Agriculture is probably more of a "real" industry than hookers and gambling, but that doesn't change the fact that South (from Carolinas to Texas) is the most backwards region in the country. You wanna keep it that way - be my guest.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 AM

27 posts, read 40,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
You really are embarrassing yourself, wow teaching an 8 year old to kill, that's impressive. Plus she is a "straight" lil country girl.
When I lived in TX I've seen a lot of such "parenting fails". At least he didn't send her to Alaska to hunt a Kodiak bear with a spear. I know some parents would, as it "builds character"

Old 11-28-2010, 09:02 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
After thinking about this for a while, I'll offer a different spin on this discussion. I don't think the proper way to look at this issue is to consider the "Northernization" of the South but rather the hemogenization of culture in fast growing Southern cities and metro areas. Many of these fast growing areas are very different places than they were decades ago. From my perspective and experience both Southerners and Northerners (of for that matter...non-Southerners) change as a result of living extended periods of time in these areas. I have witness equal amounts of "Northerners" defending "Southern" ways and vice versa. I think we best learn about other people when we are actually with them. Whether this is related to internation travel or moving to another city with a different culture, the effects are the same.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:58 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Alright I'll give you that. Agriculture is probably more of a "real" industry than hookers and gambling, but that doesn't change the fact that South (from Carolinas to Texas) is the most backwards region in the country. You wanna keep it that way - be my guest.
Depends on your definition of "Backwards" too.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:00 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I don't want to turn this in to a thread on hunting (I am a hunter, BTW), but if you eat meat, then someone had to kill it for you. For those who condemn hunting but keep meat a part of their diet? They have no moral platform to stand on. The difference is that one group kills their own, the other pays someone to do it for them.

BTW -- I hasten to add the above sentiments are not directed at everyone who doesn't hunt. Some people eat meat but simply -- for one reason or another -- don't hunt. And nothing at all wrong with that.

No, it is pointing out the self-righeous and holier-than-thou attitudes of a small group who slam hunting and hunters...but either don't see -- or don't want to -- that they are a party to killing living creatures themselves. They just pay somebody else to do their "dirty-work" for them!

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-28-2010 at 10:47 AM..

Old 11-28-2010, 10:02 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
How ridiculous. I have experienced "backwards" in all regions of the U.S., including the Northeast.

It's more of an urban/rural thing than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.