Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:47 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

I prefer winter. Last winter was a cold one for this area, and we had a lot of snow. I loved every minute of it. The skiing was great, ice skating was great, sledding, hiking, etc. Last summer was brutally hot. I didn't do much hiking or cycling at all.

I prefer cold, snowy winters over "milder" winters when it's just gray and damp. When I lived in VA the winters were miserable. It was gray, cold, and rainy. Hardly ever any snow, almost nowhere to ski, never enough ice to skate or play hockey. Everyone just stayed indoors waiting for spring. I'd take a 15-degree Vermont winter with thick ice and fresh snow every week over a 45-degree Virginia winter with rain and gloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,384 times
Gotta go with hot summers, because cold winters with not alot of snow stink. And summer isn't summer without the heat!

Old 11-28-2010, 06:32 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I prefer the hot, 120 degree temperatures akin to Phoenix.
Nothing like hopping on the mountain bike to work/store/school and throwing on the minimal amount of attire needed.

Cold weather, it takes too much time to get suited up, like you're getting ready to go on a space-walk or something.

I also work outside a lot, so there you go.
So you're in Victorville, Apple Valley, or Hesperia for the time being? Which one?

Those high temperatures feel much cooler than they would in a humid part of the U.S., like back here in the southeast.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:38 AM

I don't know, for me they're about the same.

I really don't like temperatures over ninety degrees in the humid climate that we have here in Atlanta.

However, I don't like bitter cold, either. I can handle temperatures in the mid 20s to 30s rather well, but get down into the mid teens and single digits, and it is brutal. Luckily, low temps usually don't get below the low 20s here in the Atlanta area, although last winter we did go a week or two with highs in the 20s and lows in the single digits or low teens.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:43 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
^ yeah we had a week like that last winter here in Memphis, got down to like 5 degrees or so. My friend from New Hampshire was like "yeah, now it's starting to get cold to me" A week like that usually comes once every year. I can guarantee that far more people are out when it's 95 degrees in Memphis than when it's 5 degrees.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:35 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
So you're in Victorville, Apple Valley, or Hesperia for the time being? Which one?

Those high temperatures feel much cooler than they would in a humid part of the U.S., like back here in the southeast.
With all the "in-fill" linking the aforementioned cities, they all just practically run into each other.
Humidity could be pain, but I'd still take it over the cold nights we're having right now.
Below 40 makes me nauseous and sluggish.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:04 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
I'd rather have a cold winter than too much heat/humidity......specifically too many consecutive months of heat and humidity....a few months are fine.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:44 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times
I hate hot weather. Hate it, hate it, hate it. I hate getting sweaty unless I'm exercising. That means it irritates the crap out of me to work up a sweat from simply leisurely walking around outside. This happens in Oklahoma well into September even. The nights barely cool down at all because the humidity goes up at night and just makes it uncomfortable.

Even at home in Colorado, in July when our average high is 85 is still too hot. I don't know if it's because we're closer to the sun there or what, but I will walk outside and feel like I'm being fried. Maybe the lack of humidity has something to do with that as well? I don't know.

My ideal weather would be 70-75 degrees with sunny or partly cloudy skies in summer.

I love cooler weather. I like to dress up and wear jeans and overshirts and light jackets. Summer doesn't allow that in both places where I live. Although I will give Colorado credit here because the nighttime summer temperatures of 55-60 or so are PERFECT. And even if I put on basketball shorts and a t-shirt, especially in Oklahoma, it's still unbearable.

Cold weather doesn't bother me because I can simply throw on more layers, and I love the crispness of cold air! And I'll take some shivering over drenching my clothes in sweat from just standing around anyday.

Hopefully after earning my degrees I'll be able to live in a personally desireable place like Seattle, Portland, stay in Denver, or Salt Lake City even. The summers of Seattle and Portland are PERFECT and their winters are cool and rainy, which I personally love! SLC and Denver's summers are, like I said, a bit too hot but I'll easily take them over a place like Memphis where there aren't even daily land/sea breezes to at least help cool off like there are in Florida.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:51 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I guess the cold is only bad depending on how long you're exposed to it.
In Hesperia/Victimville, it gets down to 20 degrees in the winter quite easily.
I don't drive or own a car right now and a 30min-1hr bicycle trip keeps me warmed up so long as I don't stop.

Now the only reason I've been complaining more than normal is due to the fact that I've been working 12-16hr security shifts outside.
Yeah, external exposure for that long tends to drain your life-force considerably.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I guess the cold is only bad depending on how long you're exposed to it.
In Hesperia/Victimville, it gets down to 20 degrees in the winter quite easily.
I don't drive or own a car right now and a 30min-1hr bicycle trip keeps me warmed up so long as I don't stop.

Now the only reason I've been complaining more than normal is due to the fact that I've been working 12-16hr security shifts outside.
Yeah, external exposure for that long tends to drain your life-force considerably.
Yeah, the High Desert can get cold in the winter, but it's not too extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.