Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:28 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
My....very defensive. Maybe I hit a little too close to home?
No, sweety. Defensive and annoyed.

Quote:
Besides...this thread is about cities that have a lot of billboard signs. I was simply posting the truth. Are you simply complaining or are you refuting my statements?
You said it yourself. This thread is about billboards, and you stated your point. But you couldn't stop there, no. You just felt so compelled to begin one of your "Houston Ain't S---" rants. Going on and on until you're no longer talking about billboards, but around them.

Forget about the fact that Los Angeles has far more large advertisements all up and down Southern California. Atlanta has so so many, too. And not neat ones, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 05:33 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
No, sweety. Defensive and annoyed.

You said it yourself. This thread is about billboards, and you stated your point. But you couldn't stop there, no. You just felt so compelled to begin one of your "Houston Ain't S---" rants. Going on and on until you're no longer talking about billboards.

Forget about the fact that Los Angeles has far more large advertisements all up and down Southern California. Atlanta's has so so many, too. And not neat ones, either.
Why is it that whenever someone from Houston answers criticism they make statements like "Well [insert city] has the same thing..."

First: LA and Atlanta are not very attractive cities either, so if I was Houston I wouldn't use those cities as a model. But even in LA the billboard are not as high or plentiful as they are in Houston. Atlanta...well...it's ugly.

Second: It is certainly a relevant point to bring up the other things that make some areas of Houston EXTREMELY tacky...especially the giant inflatable animals; I mean, come on...can you say "White Trash?"

Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Why is it that whenever someone from Houston answers criticism they make statements like "Well [insert city] has the same thing..."

First: LA and Atlanta are not very attractive cities either, so if I was Houston I wouldn't use those cities as a model. But even in LA the billboard are not as high or plentiful as they are in Houston. Atlanta...well...it's ugly.

Second: It is certainly a relevant point to bring up the other things that make some areas of Houston EXTREMELY tacky...especially the giant inflatable animals; I mean, come on...can you say "White Trash?"
Can you say "grow up"? Seriously, that doesn't even sound like an adult's post. Anyway, I've spoken my peace.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:15 PM

147 posts, read 690,325 times
Really who cares what city has the most billboards
kinda sad when people start arguing over this

Old 07-12-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyt937 View Post
Really who cares what city has the most billboards
kinda sad when people start arguing over this
Nobody's arguing about this.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:16 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,278 times
Thumbs up South Dakota Is My Vote!

I live near Branson, MO and there are a lot of billboards advertising the various shows all around there on Highway 65 from Springfield all the way to Branson.

I've traveled through or visited in 18 states and I may have seen a lot in Las Vegas and other places but the place where it seemed that there were more was South Dakota. Seriously! Hahaha! There may not have been more and only seemed more noticeable...certainly, they were the most memorable.

So, the place where I remember the most billboards is South Dakota. If you've ever traveled through there on I90, you are aware of all the Wall Drug Store signs. I couldn't begin to count how many we saw or over how many miles...I just remember that if you were on I90, you couldn't avoid the signs offering free ice water or nickel cups of coffee. If you're interested to hear about their story, here's a link:
History of Wall Drug in Wall SD
It's pretty interesting!

I never knew how many tourist type attractions that South Dakota has so I was surprised to see signs for many of them throughout the state, as well. Mount Rushmore and the museum dedicated to its creator, Gutzon Borglum, had signs as well as lots of signs for Reptile Gardens and Petrified Gardens, among others. I've created an online photo album at Webshots - Photo Sharing, Free Wallpaper and Free Screensavers. If you'd like to see it, go to South Dakota From the Road! pictures from vacations photos on webshots

MrsG

Old 07-16-2007, 01:12 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
In Houston I-45 from downtown heading north has tons of billboards. I was sort of shocked. Still a great city though.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Not true- they are against the law entirely here in Maine. When we have occasion to travel through MA or CT, I can't help but think how incredibly awful they look. That, and the fact that the ads are being directed to people who SHOULD be paying attention to the road, not the ad bothers me...
OK-you and your posts about Maine--that does it-I am moving there!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:18 PM

607 posts, read 2,979,434 times
detroit-Romulus area, near Detroit Metro Airport.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,076 times
ive seen a bunch of billboards on I-75 in north florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.