Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 10:20 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
South Florida and Southern California along the coasts (i.e. San Diego and LA) are pretty much the only areas where it never freezes. Freezes are extremely rare though however in most of California from Sacramento south including San Francisco (exceptions being those places at high elevations), the Desert Southwest of Phoenix, Vegas and Tucson, South Texas (Houston, Austin, San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley), the Gulf Coast and pretty much all of Florida south of Jacksonville.
Freezes aren't the least bit rare in Central California or Las Vegas. I grew up in Merced and Modesto and when we were kids, my sister and I used to break the ice that formed over rain puddles in the mornings and stack the ice in our wagons to "sell" to our neighbors. From Fresno north, it freezes. Tell me it wasn't freezing when I used to have to walk to school in 25F temperatures in Merced as a kid? As for Las Vegas, not only does it freeze, it freezes often in the winter. I had my pool freeze over about a 1/4" before and ice form on the lawns quite often. Las Vegas is surprisingly cold in the winter and there has been more frequent snowfall in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 08:57 AM

243 posts, read 1,097,013 times
The barrier islands of Dade and Broward counties (i.e. Miami Beach, Key Biscayne, Ft. Lauderdale Beach) in FL are pretty much frost free. Being between the Intracoastal Waterway and the Atlantic Ocean, next to the warm Gulfstream I've never seen frost or freezing temperatures here. The western suburbs bordering the Everglades get frost maybe once every 5 years. The Keys practically never get frost.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:42 PM

37 posts, read 393,531 times
"dullnboring-South Florida and Southern California along the coasts (i.e. San Diego and LA) are pretty much the only areas where it never freezes. Freezes are extremely rare though however in most of California from Sacramento south including San Francisco (exceptions being those places at high elevations), the Desert Southwest of Phoenix, Vegas and Tucson, South Texas (Houston, Austin, San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley), the Gulf Coast and pretty much all of Florida south of Jacksonville"

If you think it doesn't freeze in the Tucson area, you've never spent a winter there! CA coast from Santa Barbara south usually gets very few days where there is a little frost. Occasional dips below 30 cause panic among the citrus farmers.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:26 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
I didn't mean that freezes never happen in places like Phoenix, Tucson or the Central Valley of California, just that relative to a lot of the country, they are pretty rare. I think there are few areas short of the Equator where you can say that there will never be any sort of freezing. As I and others have said, the closest thing to that in this country would be South Florida. Well, that and Hawaii.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:04 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,637 times
Well, of course the Florida Keys. Like stated before, the record low for Key West is 40. The farthest south it's snowed before is Homestead, Florida. A southern suburb of Miami. Yuma, Arizona rarely get's below freezing as well (didn't last year at least). Although it's 100 - 110 all summer long. It's dry, so I'd still rather live in that air than 90 and humid like Florida.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:25 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Default Staying here

Thank you all. given those choices, I think I'm better off staying put where I am, here on the side of an erupting volcano in Hawaii

Old 09-06-2006, 04:42 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Thank you all. given those choices, I think I'm better off staying put where I am, here on the side of an erupting volcano in Hawaii
Just don't make Pele mad.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:39 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post

It was our pleasure to help you! Hawaii is your safest bet of never having freezing winters. In fact I doubt it gets below 60 there! You could move to south Florida if you dont mind temperature in the 40s and the occasional high 30s. In fact I find the mild winter there a break from the scorching summers! Saves mucho on air condition!

Old 09-07-2006, 11:09 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
It was our pleasure to help you! Hawaii is your safest bet of never having freezing winters. In fact I doubt it gets below 60 there!
Many places in Hawaii have all time record lows approaching or dipping below 50 F, even in the warmest parts near sea level. One town I saw in Kauai, near sea level that on average is pretty warm had a record low of 48 F. Most of their warmest places probably go below 60 F, even if it's for a day or two, every year!

Old 09-07-2006, 05:28 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
That is still a far cry from 32 F. My fact still stands that it almost never goes below 60 F and if it does, only for a couple days. I consider Hawaii as well as south Florida an expensive tropical paradise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.