Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 10:47 AM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 20 days ago)

5,766 posts, read 5,529,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This is a post that I could have predicted. Richmond is like DC while Raleigh is like Fayetteville. Elevate Richmond, and diminish Raleigh...blah, blah, blah.
You're getting sensitive in your old age. First on a separate thread, you accused me of making a comparison that I wasn't...

Now in this one, you're accusing me of elevating/diminishing two cities, and you're wrong yet again...

You didn't use to be so sensitive or knee-jerk, everything okay at home?

There is no other city of size anywhere in the country that more compares to Richmond than Washington. That isn't an elevation of status, its an observation of fact and warranted as at least two people claimed that Rich abd DC were "completely" different--->an abject lie...

The comparison to DC is only viewed as an elevation of status if you choose to view it that way; Richmond can more than stand on its own merits, and is only mentioned in relation to DC here as it fits the topic of the thread...

Likewise, you and other white NCers really need to check yourselves on why being compared to Fayetteville is so degrading. I know, as well as those who pay attention, there is a strong racial undertone for white NCers disdain for certain cities, Fayetteville being only one of them---->maybe 3 weeks back we literally had a guy on CvC boards saying Greensboro was crap because it had too many black people...

This isn't a surprising refrain, certainly if you live in NC and definitely if you've been on the NC City-Data boards over time. You guys dance around and try to clean it up with other things sometimes, but its abundantly clear Durham, Greensboro, and Fayetteville, those three in particular, carry some racial fuel depending on the manner in which they are being spoken of. Oh for sure, you guys point out things to praise them when it suits a specific point, but I've been here too long and been around NC too long...

You're not fooling anybody and everyone should know it wouldn't be so "diminishing" to be compared to Fayetteville if it had Wilmington's demographics, an utterly boring city that you guys praise endlessly...

All I was really pointing out was that the notion Rgh and Fay are dramatically different isn't entirely accurate. There's truth within it but like most places, the contrasts are exaggerated, abd in the case of many white NCers, they are exaggerated for racial reasons as much as anything else...

I know why being compared to Fayetteville is "diminishing" to you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 12:03 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,839,438 times
Wow.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:08 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,205,931 times
Baltimore and DC

Hampton and Virginia Beach

Norfolk and Richmond

New Orleans and Baton Rouge

Houston and Austin

Tampa and Saint Petersburg

San Jose and San Francisco

Louisville and Indianapolis

Old 11-10-2020, 12:44 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,631,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Wow.
Indeed.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:22 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,034,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Wow.
Indeed.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:32 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,233,799 times
If we are talking about legit big cities, Baltimore & DC take the cake.

Old 11-10-2020, 06:13 PM

10,083 posts, read 9,861,287 times
DC and Baltimore>Baltimore and Philly>Philly and NYC.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:55 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,391,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Indeed.
Yeah. JMO, some people do make comparisons to elevate their hometowns. One example would be Denver to Seattle. Denverians want to say they're so similar but they're pretty different. Countless others but let's not get any other citizens riled up.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:59 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,946,908 times
Can anybody expand on the differences between DC and B'more?

Old 11-13-2020, 08:54 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post

Denver and Colorado Springs
One is extreme liberal (Denver) Denverites are extremely outgoing, energetic, talkative, outdoorsy, unreserved, talkative bunch.

The other just 48 miles south of the Denver city limits is extremely reserved, very proper and polite, much more indoorsy, very quiet, talking loud is frowned down upon in restaurants, lacks energy.

Overall people in Colorado Springs are great at saying "please", "thanks", "have a nice day" but unlike Denver thats about as deep as the conversation a vast majority of the populous wants to have.

In Denver people will just walk up to another person and comment and start talking to them like they have known them for years, in Colorado Springs the same social situation and the vast majority of the populous would freak out

In fact if the same people went to Colorado Springs places on a Saturday night that live in Denver and frequent places in Denver and acted like Denverites they would stared at by the Colorado Springs residents and jaws dropped for "being loud"

Any other cities mentalities of the people change in such a short distance?
Ancient post, but...that just really wasn't my experience living in either city, except for Denver's loud talkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.