Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:27 AM

704 posts, read 1,792,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Yes. Every generation tends to have one of these type of cities. In fact the USA is seeing an emergence in many of these type of cities right now.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Nashville, Tennessee
Raleigh, North Carolina
Salt Lake City, Utah
San Jose, California

Those are some examples of some very hot and "trendy" cities right now in the country. And they're emerging quite rapidly.
These cities are definitely among the most popular right now, but I think the OP was talking more specifically about edgy, counter-cultural sorts of cities, like what Austin and Seattle once were, and San Francisco and New York before that.

All of the cities you've listed are "hot" in terms of job-growth, economic vitality, sprawl, and development, but none of them strike me as counter-cultural or even the least bit "edgy." In fact, each of those cities, except for maybe Santa Fe, exemplifies the traditional suburban, family-friendly, SUV-driving, job-rich city that the "edgy" crowd hates as so lame, so square, and so typically American. As it happens, I think they're all some of the best cities in the country, but the guy with a mohawk and a pierced cheek waiting in line for an indie concert probably will find none of those cities especially attractive.

In response to the OP's question, there are a few cities out like, like Ashville, NC, for example, that might fit the bill. But if there will ever be a city like that again, it will be an old rust-belt city that revives its downtown core and dumps an incredible amount of money into the arts. Otherwise, you will always have the standard bearers of "progressive" counter-culture in NY, SF, Austin, Seattle, and Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,658 times
I think some of the older, formerly popular cities will be the ones to become trendy. Cities like NY, LA, Chicago, SF, Boston, and Miami will always be trendy in some way or another, and cities like Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Denver, and Austin still seem to be hot right now with the younger demographics. But, I can really see a city like Philadelphia becoming a trendy city. It has a moderate cost of living for it's region, tons of culture, great colleges, a growing arts scene, a booming food scene, and it seems like more young people and more immigrants are starting to go there. If the city can get a grip on it's crime and increase revitalization efforts, I could see Philadelphia becoming a trendy city that people actually have a desire to visit or move to. I can see Baltimore having a similar fate as well.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:22 PM

172 posts, read 418,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I think some of the older, formerly popular cities will be the ones to become trendy. Cities like NY, LA, Chicago, SF, Boston, and Miami will always be trendy in some way or another, and cities like Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Denver, and Austin still seem to be hot right now with the younger demographics. But, I can really see a city like Philadelphia becoming a trendy city. It has a moderate cost of living for it's region, tons of culture, great colleges, a growing arts scene, a booming food scene, and it seems like more young people and more immigrants are starting to go there. If the city can get a grip on it's crime and increase revitalization efforts, I could see Philadelphia becoming a trendy city that people actually have a desire to visit or move to. I can see Baltimore having a similar fate as well.
It's already happening.

Study: Rate of people moving to Philly on the rise | 6abc.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/14/fa...ILLY.html?_r=2

When cities "Yuppify", I think it's a lot of these trendy kids growing up, parents cutting off the trust fund and they have to go to work. Most trendy people are well educated, the trendy years are during college and a little after post-college.

It seems most trendy cities have good job growth except Portland. Their job market is horrible, does anyone know why this is?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:56 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrains View Post
It's already happening.

Study: Rate of people moving to Philly on the rise | 6abc.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/14/fa...ILLY.html?_r=2

When cities "Yuppify", I think it's a lot of these trendy kids growing up, parents cutting off the trust fund and they have to go to work. Most trendy people are well educated, the trendy years are during college and a little after post-college.

It seems most trendy cities have good job growth except Portland. Their job market is horrible, does anyone know why this is?
High taxes, antibusiness climate.Not complicated.
It's the difference between Portland and Austin.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:19 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Yes. Every generation tends to have one of these type of cities. In fact the USA is seeing an emergence in many of these type of cities right now.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Nashville, Tennessee
Raleigh, North Carolina
Salt Lake City, Utah
San Jose, California

Those are some examples of some very hot and "trendy" cities right now in the country. And they're emerging quite rapidly.
Ehh....I don't think Raleigh is trendy. Sure, people are moving there in droves but that's only part of what makes a city trendy. People are locating there primarily for the good economy and its family friendliness, not because its "hip" or on the cutting edge of anything really.

The trendiness of places like New York, San Fran, Seattle, Portland, Austin, and the like is not really due to a booming economy but more because of a perceived "cool" factor and attractive youth lifestyle.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:29 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Ehh....I don't think Raleigh is trendy. Sure, people are moving there in droves but that's only part of what makes a city trendy. People are locating there primarily for the good economy and its family friendliness, not because its "hip" or on the cutting edge of anything really.

The trendiness of places like New York, San Fran, Seattle, Portland, Austin, and the like is not really due to a booming economy but more because of a perceived "cool" factor and attractive youth lifestyle.
Nah I wasn't even factoring in the part that its gaining population. I was thinking more in terms of the moniker, The Research Triangle and all that entails, with Duke University, Wake Forest University, among other notable high ranking schools.

I was also thinking about how it being in the "South" is exceptionally excluded from the historical "bible belt" as well as Austin, Miami, Houston, & New Orleans.
Source: Bible Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I definitely think it still has a way to go before become "trendy" per say, but it has a good potential for it if it moves towards that direction in the coming years. Young and educated populace, fairly open minded and liberal (regarded as the most liberal city in the "South"), small and increasing "artsy" community. Tech, leading the way to innovation and more "creative class" type of jobs and such.

The potential for Raleigh is definitely there, it just needs to figure out how to implement it better.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:45 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
High taxes, antibusiness climate.Not complicated.
It's the difference between Portland and Austin.
So why is the Financial Industry still in NYC, a high COL city in a high tax and regulation state instead of following the coasts to Houston? Philly is much cheaper relative to NYC and more centrally located. That's why it was the largest city right before the Revolution (and the reason the founding documents were signed there).

Old 12-11-2010, 06:48 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,745 times
Yeah Austin still is that city...if anything, I think Austin's "trendyness" started to emerge around 2000, started to hit stride in 2005, may have just peaked around 2010, and should continue throughout the next decade. If anything, I'd say that Austin's reign as the current "trendy" city runs from 2005-2015.

Raleigh was starting to look as if it stood a chance to develop into the east coast's version of Austin, however most of the major projects and whatnot were placed on hold a few years back due to the recession. Raleigh definately has a ton of potential and has the same basic makeup as Austin...it's development has been placed on hold though, so who knows.

It won't happen, but Pittsburgh is something of a darkhorse candidate for some 15-30 years down the line to become trendy. It's become something of a media darling over the past couple of years and should be kicking off some major construction projects within the next 5 years that should get national attention. I really, really, really doubt it...but it's very slowly starting to gain some momentum and you never know if the pieces will fall into place or not.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:31 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
It won't happen, but Pittsburgh is something of a darkhorse candidate for some 15-30 years down the line to become trendy. It's become something of a media darling over the past couple of years and should be kicking off some major construction projects within the next 5 years that should get national attention. I really, really, really doubt it...but it's very slowly starting to gain some momentum and you never know if the pieces will fall into place or not.
Pittsburgh is gaining more and more attention and traction as being an affordable and more livable alternative to the increasingly congested and increasingly expensive BosWash Corridor. I fled NoVA's traffic congestion, stress, rude people, and high cost-of-living for Pittsburgh, and I'm a completely changed person now (for the better). I have friends inquiring now, too, about Pittsburgh for the same reasons. I prefer quality-of-life over quantiy of life. Yeah, I could make more $$$ and drive a BMW in NoVA by age 30. Yippee. In Pittsburgh I will be driving my Mazda and shopping at Target instead of Armani Exchange, but can you really put a price tag on living nearly stress-free?

There are many people I've met who've moved to Pittsburgh from NYC, NJ, Philly, DC, NoVA, etc. for these same reasons. I think between 2010 and 2020 Pittsburgh is going to be a surprise "sleeper" that wakes up.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 AM

96 posts, read 165,303 times
Denver, Austin, Portland, Charlotte = cookie cutter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.