Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:53 PM

76 posts, read 223,744 times

Advertisements

I am a cool single of Mom of one cool and intelligent 9 year old daughter.
We both are feeling too "different" here in Minnesota. Can anyone suggest a cool city to live with good schools for her, open mic and jam sessions for me (I Love Jazz)? Also, I enjoy meeting attractive, down to earth, open minded and friendly people. Minnesota seems to be the ADHD capital (not good for her); and too limited musically for a sista such as myself I am a singer looking to explore and get Gigs. I can't consider NY or LA. I would prefer a little normality for a family. Does such a place exist here in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 09:49 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
You might consider college cities/towns--Austin, Columbus, Madison, Athens, Eugene, Bloomington, Boston, etc. I don't know how the music biz works in these places, but college students are always looking for good music, and cities like these are reasonably diverse in terms of musical taste and demographic features (race, ethnicity, etc.). And it's not a bad thing to raise a child in a university atmosphere, either: there are bound to be some good school systems with education/culture oriented people.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:17 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
How about Chicago? Living in the suburbs for the schools, and commuting into the city for gigs. Chicago has got plenty of jazz and blues joints throughout the city and it's not quite as cutthroat as New York or Los Angeles in terms of the music industry there.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:46 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
How about Chicago? Living in the suburbs for the schools, and commuting into the city for gigs. Chicago has got plenty of jazz and blues joints throughout the city and it's not quite as cutthroat as New York or Los Angeles in terms of the music industry there.
Yes. Chicago sounds exactly what youre looking for. Not low-keyed, not high-keyed, JAZZ CENTRAL, not as expensive as the coasts, just as much to do.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:31 PM

14 posts, read 34,056 times
You can also try parts of the inland south. Though, the cities are usually a lot rougher.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Where in Minnesota are you living now? If Minneapolis isn't "cool" enough for you you're going to have a hard time finding it elsewhere. If Minneapolis isn't a large enough city (although it is big, and does have a large music scene) then I agree that Chicago would be a good alternative to LA or NY.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:50 PM

259 posts, read 454,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj31young View Post
I am a cool single of Mom of one cool and intelligent 9 year old daughter.
We both are feeling too "different" here in Minnesota. Can anyone suggest a cool city to live with good schools for her, open mic and jam sessions for me (I Love Jazz)? Also, I enjoy meeting attractive, down to earth, open minded and friendly people. Minnesota seems to be the ADHD capital (not good for her); and too limited musically for a sista such as myself I am a singer looking to explore and get Gigs. I can't consider NY or LA. I would prefer a little normality for a family. Does such a place exist here in the US?

Arlington VA, close the DC arts and music scene.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:09 PM

886 posts, read 2,225,917 times
Kansas City, MO.... theres a nice Jazz scene here, and historically KC is famous for Jazz.

Art and Culture? KC Art scene is also huge... whether its festivals and displays going on a plenty from the KCAI, or the world famous Nelson Atkins, Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art...

Lots of historic neighborhoods, downtown has been updated and continues to expand.... Westport/Plaza/Rivermarket/ The Crossroads district....

Great Art Deco architecture downtown....

Chicago, is of course great, but if you want a low cost of living, fun city with a great art and local music scene, i'd check KC.

However if you are looking for something similar to NYC or LA.... well, I wouldn't call that Chicago, cuz Chicago is straight up better then both IMO =P

Old 07-30-2009, 07:43 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
You might consider college cities/towns--Austin, Columbus, Madison, Athens, Eugene, Bloomington, Boston, etc. I don't know how the music biz works in these places, but college students are always looking for good music, and cities like these are reasonably diverse in terms of musical taste and demographic features (race, ethnicity, etc.). And it's not a bad thing to raise a child in a university atmosphere, either: there are bound to be some good school systems with education/culture oriented people.
I agree 100%. Places like Chapel Hill, NC, Athens, GA and Bloomington, IN have good music scenes, very good school systems, relatively low crime, aren't hyper-expensive and have an overall excellent quality of life.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:56 AM

259 posts, read 454,839 times
Richmond VA has a decent art scene, low cost of living quick access to DC and the VA ocean front
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.