Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:55 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
What things would you do to improve your city and why? Where I'm from,I'd like to see the city add additional police to the force to curb the wave of crime.Better mass-transit tocut down on the number of cars on the road.
Put more criminals in prison for longer periods of time. The cops seem to catch 'em but the judges, UGH! And I really don't care if they have to sleep three to a cell, kill each other or only get 1 hour of recreation a day, either. The idea is to get them off the streets for a long time or forever. I don't care if they are rehabilitated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 12:00 AM

694 posts, read 2,652,056 times
Block party's
Community centers
Senior centers
Huge family reunions at the park.

Whatever it takes to get folk away from the T.V.
and .. Gasp.. computer.

People just do not interact like they use to.
... or is just me ?

Old 07-14-2007, 12:18 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Merge it with St. Louis County Stop making the Arch the limit for skyscraper heights.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:57 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,107 times
Tell my hometown to wake up and grow up, literally. Build highrise apartments or condos that can take an 8 on the richter, put these towers in high density areas pointed out to you in 1984's L. A. Magazine! City center 1) Downtown, 2) Century, 3) Long Beach, 4) West Wilshire, 5) Ventura Blvd., 6) Studio City, 7) Pasadena, 8) Glendale, 9) Ontario, 10) Inland Empire. Link all with elevated mag-lev once the technology is feasable. Run this also from downtown to L A X along Wilshire and make Wilshire and Olympic one way. Bypass Santa Monica as they are so nimby. Residential areas kept between the city centers that could be reached as they are today, by car. Run a tunnel through the San Gabriel mountains and develope Palmdale International. Link to downtown. Dump 4 billion into Griffith Park. It was given to the people for developement, it is not a nature preserve. Develope ways to pump sea water into the Mojave desert for various desalination production to keep Southern California from purchasing water elsewhere in the future. Expand and dredge the port complex further and turn it 'green'. Clean the bay and tend to the beach areas as if they were rose gardens. Change all that is responsible for making it so hard to grow and keep business in the area. Improve power production, solar farms or, maybe new generation nuclear in the Mojave. Some ideas. Price tag: 400 to 700 billion?

Old 07-14-2007, 08:15 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Boy do I have a list. I'll only name the important things:

Preservation for our older communities
Better living for our poor (sounds cheesy, but it's a serious matter)
Better rail/public transportation
Even more things to do downtown

Old 07-14-2007, 09:21 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
Here in Debary Florida there are plans for a commuter train to start here and take people all the day down to Orlando...this is going to open this area up to more people.

There is a HUGE empty lot they are going to be building shops on not far from me AND they are building a development of million dollar homes on the river...

With all this growth we need wider and better road systems or the traffic is going to be NASTY.

We will need more policeman.

I believe our development should put in a gated entry or our neighborhood will become a place people use to pass through to get to the older neighborhood behind us.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:27 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
I will, and am, helping my city to develop something unique in West Texas and maybe the country. We have a great skyline for a metro of our size (read as tiny), but there is not as much demand for office space as there once was. So we are trying to redevelop some of the downtown office buildings into residential condos. This is certainly not unique, every city in America has a program like this. What makes ours unique is that you will be able to enjoy urban living in a small metro with easy access to the commercial and retail suburban areas without traffic problems.

This will be good for the metro as whole as well because right now we have a serious housing shortage. So with the demand for housing high, plus the buildings downtown already there to be renovated, I have good hopes for this project.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:56 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
I would like to bring reform to our counties high schools in preparation for college skills and to diversify our economy by bringing clean, high tech industries, and to stop the excessive construction of luxury homes that are only being bought by speculators and to instead see prices that are in line with average incomes. Basically, economic diversification and improvement to public schools are where I would like to see change.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:04 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
What things would you do to improve your city and why? Where I'm from,I'd like to see the city add additional police to the force to curb the wave of crime.Better mass-transit tocut down on the number of cars on the road.
Add more Police to lower crime.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:08 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
milque--
"Link all with elevated mag-lev once the technology is feasable. "

I thought this technology has been feasible for over 20 years. Isn't this what they use for their high speed trains in France and Japan, or am I thinking of something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.