Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:39 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times

Advertisements

Lower property taxes, sales tax and let bars stay open around the clock!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:09 AM

386 posts, read 668,165 times
Atlanta needs better public transportation, more sidewalks, more skyscrapers, less chain restaurants, and more incentives for people to start up shop down here. It's got a ton of potential.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:08 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Kalamazoo.
-Put a highway through the city core.

NYC-
Nothing..I love it!
Why put a highway through the core of Kalamazoo? Ironically, here in Syracuse, they are trying to tear down a portion of I-81 that separates Syracuse University from Downtown Syracuse. This has occurred in other cities as well.

For Syracuse, I'd say to invest in the school system in terms of education focus programs and skill trade education. I'd also have internships and/or community service available for students, if not make it mandatory for graduation.

Use Main Street Grant money to invest in main thoroughfares on the North, South, East and West sides of the city that haven't seen much investment or to help those that have.

Follow through with the plans presented for the Inner Harbor.

Have more foot patrols and visible mini police satellite centers in inner neighborhoods on each side of the city, as well as outer city business districts. A creation of a Police Athletic League could be a way to get to know children and families and vice versa.

Get OnTrack back with visible and functional stops.

Attract more private companies to move within city limits.

Use former Catholic schools as charter schools or as some form of schooling, if they are available.

Look into a municipal power company that lowers utility rates and do this as a customer of the state's NYPA.

There are some other things, but that is good for now.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:53 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why put a highway through the core of Kalamazoo? Ironically, here in Syracuse, they are trying to tear down a portion of I-81 that separates Syracuse University from Downtown Syracuse. This has occurred in other cities as well.

For Syracuse, I'd say to invest in the school system in terms of education focus programs and skill trade education. I'd also have internships and/or community service available for students, if not make it mandatory for graduation.

Use Main Street Grant money to invest in main thoroughfares on the North, South, East and West sides of the city that haven't seen much investment or to help those that have.

Follow through with the plans presented for the Inner Harbor.

Have more foot patrols and visible mini police satellite centers in inner neighborhoods on each side of the city, as well as outer city business districts. A creation of a Police Athletic League could be a way to get to know children and families and vice versa.

Get OnTrack back with visible and functional stops.

Attract more private companies to move within city limits.

Use former Catholic schools as charter schools or as some form of schooling, if they are available.

Look into a municipal power company that lowers utility rates and do this as a customer of the state's NYPA.

There are some other things, but that is good for now.
I would put a highway through the core of Kalamazoo because traffic is horrible and it's a shame that you have to drive through city streets just to get passed downtown. I think a highway would save time.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:40 PM

13 posts, read 14,126 times
Exclamation I hate drugs if all kinds; sorry.. NO BUY HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Problems such as? Details? Elaboration? What did you read?

Read about Portugal, they decriminalized all drugs in 2001 and drug use has decreased since. Read about the level of incarcerations rates and how they have increased exponentially since the early 1970's when this fallacy called the "War on Drugs" began and surely has done more harm than good to the point where some states are delegating more tax dollars to build new prisons while making budget cuts on education. That is a sad state of affairs and is a poignant example of a society's failure. The severe criminal penalties on marijuana have opened up a level of problems a lot more extreme and they feed cartels making it a never ending vicious cycle. READ some history on prohibition and perhaps you'd understand.

Lastly, READ this...(article on Portugal's drug decriminalization)...Drug decriminalization in Portugal decreases number of addicts | GlobalPost
. Drugs are -most part- "trouble"!

Old 10-13-2013, 04:43 PM

13 posts, read 14,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
Atlanta needs better public transportation, more sidewalks, more skyscrapers, less chain restaurants, and more incentives for people to start up shop down here. It's got a ton of potential.
When I think of ATLANTA, -Evander Holyfield- name comes to mind!

Old 10-14-2013, 05:32 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWilkinson View Post
I can't give you actual coordinates. One of my house mates had a college project to research the whole topic. I helped him BECAUSE English isn't native to him. Yes, it's come about before in Northern Europe. Their are some deep studies on that. CERTAINLY IT CAME WITH AN INCREASE IN CERTAIN CRIME.
What certain crime?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:20 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I would like the NYC subway system to be upgraded with escalators in all stations as well air-conditioned/heated platforms depending on the season.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM

63 posts, read 107,059 times
A "Godiva Chocolate Festival" every 3 months would be nice.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:56 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,131 times
Better roads. Better elevation. Better PR.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.