Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 PM

822 posts, read 2,201,758 times

Advertisements

Mine was when I lived in Henderson, Nevada and worked in Jean, Nevada. It was 27 miles but it only took me about 30 to 45 minutes depending on traffic. Once I was on Interstate 15 it was nothing as it was all open desert interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 10:07 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
My worst commute was when I lived in Montclair NJ and got a job on the east side of Manhattan. An hour bus ride plus a 25 minute hike across town. It was the worst on late nights when I'd have to wait 20-30 minutes for a bus to Montclair sometimes. Within 6 months I moved to Jersey City where I can catch a subway into Manhattan.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
My commute now is the longest. I walk 6 minutes to the Red Line, wait on average 2 minutes for a train, take the Red Line to the Brown Line, which is about 24 minutes downtown, and walk 6 minutes to my office.

It's about 40 minutes on average. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. I do appreciate that I will know within 5 minutes of how long it will take to get to work regardless of if it's 6am, 7am, 9am, raining, snowing, sunny, etc. I just read a book and it honestly goes by really quick. I've gotten to the point I don't really think anymore, just automatically get on the train, switch trains and get off while still reading. Last week I looked up and I was at the Merch Mart without even really knowing it. It stopped for a second and was like "holy ***".

Shorted commute was to Hy-Vee supermarket in Coralville, Iowa during high school. 4 minutes! And I even use to think that was an annoying drive! 4 minutes - seems so crazy now.

In Chicago I was 25 minutes on the Blue Line my first 4 years, then 25 minutes on the Brown Line, then 35 minutes on the bus/train, and now 40 minutes on the train. I keep moving north, doh....

Old 12-14-2010, 07:00 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
I drive 61 miles each way, from NW NJ to East/Central NJ. It took me 2 hrs one way last week but on average it's about 1hr 20 to 1hr 30. Fortunately I only do it about 2xs a week.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Rancho Cucamonga, CA to Chino Hills, CA for about six months. Took about 35 minutes each way on off-peak hours (which is when I commuted). There is no freeway between the two cities, unless you really want to go out of your way (which I did most of the time). I hated the drive and associated costs, but it was wonderful having an hour-plus to listen to the music that was out in early 2004 (this commute provided the framework for me not wanting to ever have an unnecessarily long commute again).

I commuted to the same job in Chino Hills from Ridgecrest, CA several times over the course of two weeks. 2 hours and 37 minutes each way. I only did it to fulfill my two-week notice obligation, and to leave on good terms (I unexpectedly moved out of the area). Nothing like throwing your entire tip earnings into the gas tank.

However, I didn't do it all ten working days of that two weeks, I slept in a drifter/hooker motel one day, stayed with a co-worker another day, and stayed with a "friend" who's wife made him kick me out after two days....I'll never forget his exact quote as we had a smoke on his porch...."Y'know, this isn't the Ramada".

My favorite commutes:
*Riverside, CA to Corona, CA: 12 minutes and 2 miles from couch to time-clock.
*Ridgecrest, CA to Ridgecrest, CA: Ditto time/distance wise. Delivered pies for Domino's Pizza, by far my favorite job that I've ever had (I hated delivering pizza in SE Aurora/Centennial, CO, however).
*Another Ridgecrest, CA to Ridgecrest, CA. 0.7 miles, drove a car. You do the math.

Now, I make a good living behind the wheel. Thus, I hate unnecessary driving. Why should I want to drive when I'm not getting paid for it?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:50 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Mine was when I lived in Henderson, Nevada and worked in Jean, Nevada. It was 27 miles but it only took me about 30 to 45 minutes depending on traffic. Once I was on Interstate 15 it was nothing as it was all open desert interstate.
From home to N. Springfield (MO), about 48 miles (one way). Took me roughly 1.25 hours- sometimes longer if the weather was bad or traffic was heavy.

Around here, you have to travel at least 20 - 30 miles to land a "decent" job. It's just a fact of life.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-14-2010, 11:46 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
This thread is perfect for me because I just moved...

I was commuting from Scituate, MA to Copley Square, Boston...total commute time was about 1 hour 40 minutes each way...now I'm living in Packard's Corner, Boston...total commute is anywhere between 20 to 25 minutes.

After calculating it out, I'm going to save 600 hours in commuting in a year...that's 25 extra days of living...aka drinking beer and playing Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto...or taking advantage of the fact that I'm no longer in the suburbs, and I'm living in a neighborhood packed with bars and restaurants...hmm....at least I have the option haha.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:45 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
The longest was from North Edison, NJ to West Caldwell, NJ. An hour and 45 minutes each way.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 PM

822 posts, read 2,201,758 times
I was curious b/c I'm now living in St Petersburg, Fl and I'm going to possibly take a job over in the Tampa area. The commute is only 21 miles but I moved here from Portland, Oregon which is tiny and it's so fast to get everywhere. The only time I ever had a long commute in Portland, Or was when I worked up at the OHSU hospital. There is no employee parking since it's up on a big hill and parking is very limited. My company gave us all bus passes so I would have to drive to downtown from my apartment and park in a garage 15 min. And then hop on a bus up to the hospital add 20 to 25 more minutes. On the way home the traffic down the hill was always bad so the bus took forever. Sometimes it was about an hour to get home and I only lived about 6 miles from the hospital. I ended up walking a lot of times b/c it was quicker than the bus LOL.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:16 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
The longest was from North Edison, NJ to West Caldwell, NJ. An hour and 45 minutes each way.
Holy mother of God, that's not even that far distance-wise. I did opposite (near W. Caldwell to near North Edison) and it wasn't anywhere near that amount of time. I did have the more "against traffic" commute though.

See you're not living in NJ anymore, glad you don't have that commute!

Just out of curiousity - did you do the Pkwy or 287 to 80?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.