Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 PM

7 posts, read 14,377 times

Advertisements

Austin, Tx is generally gay-friendly, but no gayborhood. It is becoming much more conservative. The rest of the state is beyond scary, outside of the cities. Austin is the only place I would recommend living for a gay person, in Texas. The cops here have a history of busting gay people for public cruising and dwi. The capitol police used to sit outside of Charlies, a former bar by the capitol. They would arrest gay people constantly for dwi there. APD does or did the same thing around the other gay bars. If you visit, do not drive drunk. There is not much public transportation. Armistead Maupin is moving to Santa Fe. Maybe that's the new Mecca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 08:49 AM

242 posts, read 510,853 times
I would say the 3 most gay friendly cities in North America are all in Canada and would be

1. Montreal
2. Toronto
3. Vancouver

All cities allow full gay adoption rights, gay marriage, protection from discrimination in the workforce, full protection under the human rights commission, and have sizable gay communities. These rights extend for trans-gender people as well. In all 3 cities you can walk down the streets hand in hand with zero problems.

In the USA my experience has been that gays have the best living conditions and rights in

1. San Francisco
2. NYC
3. LA
4. Parts of Miami
5. Philly

There are other areas as well but I'm only naming the big cities I can think of.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:53 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
Palm Springs

Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Chicago
Memphis

Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoaustin View Post
Austin, Tx is generally gay-friendly, but no gayborhood. It is becoming much more conservative. The rest of the state is beyond scary, outside of the cities. Austin is the only place I would recommend living for a gay person, in Texas. The cops here have a history of busting gay people for public cruising and dwi. The capitol police used to sit outside of Charlies, a former bar by the capitol. They would arrest gay people constantly for dwi there. APD does or did the same thing around the other gay bars. If you visit, do not drive drunk. There is not much public transportation. Armistead Maupin is moving to Santa Fe. Maybe that's the new Mecca.
I don't think houson and dallas would be THAT bad. My boyfriend was shocked though when he went out in Dallas a few months ago and there were a ton of people across the street on a random friday night with a ton of signs protesting and screaming at everyone in the gay bar across the street. You'd never see anything like that in Chicago.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:01 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I don't think houson and dallas would be THAT bad. My boyfriend was shocked though when he went out in Dallas a few months ago and there were a ton of people across the street on a random friday night with a ton of signs protesting and screaming at everyone in the gay bar across the street. You'd never see anything like that in Chicago.
That is strange. I go out in the gayborhood in Dallas at least every couple of months and have never seen anything like that. I can assure you that is not common at all. My wifes best friend is gay and we go with them.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneed17 View Post
what city would you consider to be gay friendly,,
yeah we know San Francisco LOL but any other you guys know might be cool..

San Antonio is really gay friendly

list your gay friendly cities ..
St. Petersburg, FL is truly a gay-friendly city.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:42 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
Iowa City

Old 07-06-2012, 03:33 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Savannah GA -- tremendously gay friendly.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:52 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,892 times
For small-to-midsized cities, Chapel Hill, Durham and Asheville in North Carolina all deserve mentions.

Academic towns in general (like Chapel Hill, or the previously mentioned Iowa City) are generally pretty gay-friendly, as are places like Asheville, which is across-the-board freak-friendly (meant in the nicest of ways - A'ville is a hippie mecca, an arts mecca, once had a nudist run for mayor, and - if anything - orientation is less of a big deal than any number of other things).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.