Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:00 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

I think the term "gay friendly" to be too broad in terms of a relocation question, ranking with other terms like "mild weather" or "affordable". Gays and Lesbians come in all stripes and colors so the premise that a city is deemed as "gay-friendly" doesn't automatically make it a great fit. I can pretty much guarantee a Lesbian couple is not going to fit well into Wilton Manors FL, or a young single gay male most likely won't feel at home in Northampton MA. Furthermore not all unattached gay males are on the prowl nightly and need a slew of gay bars to call home. The list goes on but in my opinion there should be a distinction other than "gay-friendly" and haven't noticed much digging when an OP states they're looking for a new place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
male most likely won't feel at home in Northampton MA.
I had to laugh at this. Northampton MA has a nationwide rep. It was featured on one of those documentary news shows one night. Carry on...

Old 03-12-2012, 01:53 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
KC is also a stomping grounds for the Westboro Baptist Church (filth of the earth) as they are based out of Topeka, KS just up the road. Though like any big city I'm sure Kansas City has its exceptions with inviting areas for gays. I've heard through the grapevine KC is attracting many artists lately.
I believe the "Crossroads District" of KCMO is attracting artists. Anywhere from downtown south through Midtown/Westport/Hyde Park and the Plaza would be gay friendly areas. But expect the Westboro morons to be picketing any and every gay event in the city, such as Pride. I was single and gay in KC for a couple years during college (mid 90s) and it just wasn't thought of as a fun place for single gay men. The bars sucked, and many of them have since shut down. I assume these days gay men can meet on the Internet instead.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:50 PM

8,606 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Are you talking Neil Giuliano? Someone I know has him on his Facebook as an "interest," so I clicked on the link to find out who he is. I guess a smooth-talking guy who looks like a newscaster can pull in the votes...and sell ice to an Eskimo. In reality, he seems kind of smarmy.Gay friendly - Virtually every big city probably is - your bold(ed) choices are accurate - any city in Ecotopia would be

Gay unfriendly - my "guess" would be Kansas City, based on:
(1) several have told me this: you are immediately asked where you go to church
(2) one unmarried straight childless middle-aged lady told me this: she was constantly asked if she had children, and people looked at her like she was from another planet when she said she did not (she no longer lives there)
Are you kidding me?

Neil Giuliano was also the President of GLAAD from 2005-2009 and quite a nice guy. Next time, use something else besides Facebook as a "reference".

Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I had to laugh at this. Northampton MA has a nationwide rep. It was featured on one of those documentary news shows one night. Carry on...
Northampton MA has had a nationwide rep among the gay community, without having to watch a network TV "carnival sideshow" presentation of it.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:04 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
I think the term "gay friendly" to be too broad in terms of a relocation question, ranking with other terms like "mild weather" or "affordable". Gays and Lesbians come in all stripes and colors so the premise that a city is deemed as "gay-friendly" doesn't automatically make it a great fit. I can pretty much guarantee a Lesbian couple is not going to fit well into Wilton Manors FL, or a young single gay male most likely won't feel at home in Northampton MA. Furthermore not all unattached gay males are on the prowl nightly and need a slew of gay bars to call home. The list goes on but in my opinion there should be a distinction other than "gay-friendly" and haven't noticed much digging when an OP states they're looking for a new place to live.
That's easily the biggest misconception of gay men in general. I've certainly been out to bars enough times, both gay and straight - but I like bars in general. I have a ton of gay friends who wouldn't be caught dead in a gay bar. Just not their thing. Lots of people go to gay bars, but you're only seeing the ones who actually go, not the countless ones who don't.

I can see why lots of straight people would make that assumptions, since it's something you can physically see, but at times it gets annoying when everyone thinks that's the lifestyle of a normal random gay person. Of all the gay people that straights walk by, talk with, work with or come into contact with, 80% of them don't register as being "gay". They're just everyday random people in your life.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Northampton MA has had a nationwide rep among the gay community, without having to watch a network TV "carnival sideshow" presentation of it.
It only addressed the lesbian population...and it wasn't a carnival sideshow...it was very matter-of-fact, on 60 minutes or 20/20.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:47 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times
I have lived in The Castro District of San Francisco for many years. My partner and I are considering a move to some place else for retirement.
It will be culture shock after living here for so long. I would like a gay friendly medium sized town or suburb that is close to good medical services. Your priorities change when you get older. We're still a few years
away so there is a lot of time to contemplate. I've thought about Las Cruces,NM. ..Boise,Id. ..Walla Walla,Wa. ..The Woodlands,Tx. ..Kent,Oh.
Any other suggestions or comments are welcome.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:55 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
San Francisco, Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, New York City, and Boston I'd imagine all are pretty tolerant of gays. St. Louis is actually pretty tolerant of them as well.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:33 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
San Francisco, Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, New York City, and Boston I'd imagine all are pretty tolerant of gays. St. Louis is actually pretty tolerant of them as well.

St Louis is not tolerant at all. Just by you saying "them" is a negative slur like some sort of alien. They basically threw a well know street performer called Baton Bob out of the city. He moved to Atlanta.

Baton Bob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Events precipitating his departure from St. Louis

Press reports indicate the public in Atlanta either highly appreciates Baton Bob or quietly tolerates him.[3] Though he was appreciated by some, he annoyed others in St. Louis as well. Several exceptional events precipitated his departure.
During the summer of 2003, an observer mooned the character. Both men mutually escalated the situation until the unidentified observer struck Baton Bob in the cheek, an injury that required five stitches. The observer was later arrested by St. Louis detectives and prosecuted.[4]
The following summer, when he marched with Missouri NARAL in a suburban 4th of July parade, police manhandled him in an attempt to remove him from the procession. Though the police allowed Baton Bob to remain in the parade, the incident prompted a complaint that alleged the police also swore and called him names.[5]
Later the same summer, Baton Bob was arrested while participating in a Kerry/Edwards rally at St. Louis Union Station. He swore at a police officer who stepped on the train of Bob's $500 wedding dress, prompting an arrest for trespassing. The arrest proved to be the proverbial last straw, as Baton Bob left St. Louis for Atlanta soon thereafter.[2]

Last edited by brent6969; 03-29-2012 at 06:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.