Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:35 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times

Advertisements

The Dakotas, Nebraska and Kansas are also Midwest states.

Cinci is totally Southern. It's right across the river from Kentucky, the city has a humid subtropical climate, residents speak with a Southern accent, magnolia trees grow all over the city. It's not the Midwest -- it's Dixie.

Cleveland is somewhat Midwestern, but I still see it as closer to the interior Northeast (Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Syracuse, Scranton) than the true Midwest (MSP, Omaha, Des Moines, Bismarck).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Cincinnati - South
Cleveland - Northeast

Really, the most quintessentially Midwestern states are Minnesota and Iowa. Ohio is on the eastern fringe.
I actually don't think many people think of Minnesota as "quintessentially Midwestern"...Personally, I think of Michigan and Ohio as "quintessentially Midwesern."

Besides, if Ohio is on the "eastern fringe" aren't Iowa and Minnesota on the "western fringe" bordering the great plains??

Old 12-16-2010, 10:39 AM

I'm not trying to knock Cincinnati or Cleveland, they're both great cities (especially Cincy - I love that place).

Old 12-16-2010, 10:40 AM

My votes would be for Madison, WI, Evanston, IL, maybe even Columbus, OH, Ann Arbor, MI, or perhaps Champaign, IL.

It depends on if you want to live in a place that has a large population vs. a small population, and a place where the winters are quite extreme vs. where the winters are a bit more mild (from a midwestern standpoint).

Old 12-16-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I actually don't think many people think of Minnesota as "quintessentially Midwestern"...Personally, I think of Michigan and Ohio as "quintessentially Midwesern."

Besides, if Ohio is on the "eastern fringe" aren't Iowa and Minnesota on the "western fringe" bordering the great plains??
I see the Great Plains as an important part of the Midwest. The plains extend well into Iowa and Minnesota, anyway. Michigan and Ohio ARE on the eastern fringe of the Midwest -- they are even in the Eastern time zone with places like New York and Boston.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I see the Great Plains as an important part of the Midwest. The plains extend well into Iowa and Minnesota, anyway. Michigan and Ohio ARE on the eastern fringe of the Midwest -- they are even in the Eastern time zone with places like New York and Boston.
But Indiana is also on EST and it is, without a doubt, Midwestern. I think dividing up the Midwest based on a time zone is arbitrary. I mean, in my view (and I think the gov't shares this view), the Midwest extends from Ohio to Minnesota, time zones be damned.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
My votes would be for Madison, WI, Evanston, IL, maybe even Columbus, OH, Ann Arbor, MI, or perhaps Champaign, IL.

It depends on if you want to live in a place that has a large population vs. a small population, and a place where the winters are quite extreme vs. where the winters are a bit more mild (from a midwestern standpoint).
Ann Arbor is an awesome city, but then I'm somewhat biased. It's like an oasis of activity in a very depressed part of Michigan. A2's winters aren't that bad: no lake effect snow, and warm snaps about once a week bringing temperatures above freezing.

Evanston is right next to Chicago, so you get all of the benefits of living in Chicago, but also the drawbacks like traffic and high cost of living.

Champaign is a nice college town, but it's literally in the middle of a cornfield, with nothing but corn surrounding the city for miles. It's in a pretty featureless part of the state.

Columbus is a great city -- I have family there. It's not really a college town, though you can find that atmosphere around Ohio State. Really mild winters where the snow doesn't stick around more than a few days at a time, hot summers, big-city amenities.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:51 AM

The vast majority of the Midwest is on CST. Small sections are in the Eastern and Mountain time zones, but overall, Midwest = CST. I think eastern Ohio is much more Northeast than Midwest, southern Ohio is clearly the Appalachian South (ever been to Chillicothe or Athens? You could be in Kentucky or Tennessee).

Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Gary, East St. Louis, Flint, and Youngstown are all interesting places to visit.
And some of us even like living here.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:09 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
cleveland is more like st. louis and chicago than it is like new york and boston, i hate to tell you.

cincinnati is more like milwaukee and st. louis than it is like memphis or atlanta, i hate to tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.