Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times

Advertisements

It's all relative in regards to the situation. For example, if I'm at an event like the Pittston Tomato Festival, I'll answer with "Pittston Township," which is my official municipality of residence. If I'm at the Scranton Jazz Festival, which is about 15 minutes away, I'd answer with "Pittston." If I'm at the Bloomsburg Fair, which is about an hour away, I'd answer with "Scranton/Wilkes-Barre." If I'm in New York City, I'd answer with "The Poconos." If I'm in Cincinnati, as I just was, I'd answer with "Northeastern Pennsylvania." If I'm in Los Angeles, I'd reply with "Pennsylvania." If I'm in Bangkok, I'd reply with "The United States." If I'm on Mars, I'd reply with "Earth."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 12:11 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,276,038 times
If I am talking to people from here in Florida, I will tell people I am from Debary...if they don't know where that is, then I tell them about halfway in between Daytona and Orlando.

If I am talking to people who are not from Florida, I tell them the Orlando area. Even people from other countries know where Orlando is so thats safe to say and know you will be understood.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:55 PM

68 posts, read 293,185 times
When I am in the US, I say Houston. When I am in another country I say Texas.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 AM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 227,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
It's all relative in regards to the situation. For example, if I'm at an event like the Pittston Tomato Festival, I'll answer with "Pittston Township," which is my official municipality of residence. If I'm at the Scranton Jazz Festival, which is about 15 minutes away, I'd answer with "Pittston." If I'm at the Bloomsburg Fair, which is about an hour away, I'd answer with "Scranton/Wilkes-Barre." If I'm in New York City, I'd answer with "The Poconos." If I'm in Cincinnati, as I just was, I'd answer with "Northeastern Pennsylvania." If I'm in Los Angeles, I'd reply with "Pennsylvania." If I'm in Bangkok, I'd reply with "The United States." If I'm on Mars, I'd reply with "Earth."
haha...

when i'm in West Virginia, I reply "I'm in hell," and they (being Virginians) know exactly where i'm at. Somestime I say "Western Virginia" for West Virginia, since those damn Yankees are a part of our state... therer is no West Virginia. But we might not want Yankees, Rednecks, southern wannabes, drunks, slack-jawed yokles, or trailer parks in our untarnished state.

West Virginia State Residency Application

Name: ________________
(last)
(first) (_) Billy-Bob
(_) Billy-Joe
(_) Billy-Ray
(_) Billy-Sue
(_) Billy-Mae
(_) Billy-Jack
(Check appropriate box)
Sex: ____ M _____ F _____ N/A
Shoe Size: ____ Left ____ Right

CB Handle: _____________________

(_)Farmer
(_)Mechanic
(_)Hair Dresser
(_)Un-employed
(_)Coal Miner

Spouse's Name: __________________________

Relationship with spouse:
(_) Sister
(_) Brother
(_) Aunt
(_) Uncle
(_) Cousin
(_) Mother
(_) Father
(_) Son
(_) Daughter
(_) Pet

Number of children living in household: ___

Number that are yours: ___

Mother's Name: _______________________

Father's Name: _______________________
(If not sure, leave blank)

Education: 1 2 3 4 (Circle highest grade completed)

Do you (_)own or (_)rent your mobile home?
(Check appropriate box)

___ Total number of vehicles you own
___ Number of vehicles that still crank
___ Number of vehicles in front yard
___ Number of vehicles in back yard
___ Number of vehicles on cement blocks

___ Number of refrigerators on front porch

Firearms you own and where you keep them:
____ truck
____ bedroom
____ bathroom
____ kitchen
____ shed

Model and year of your pickup: _____________ 194__
Number of empty beer cans on floorboard or in bed of
pickup: _________

Newspapers/magazines you subscribe to:
(_)The National Enquirer
(_)The Globe
(_)TV Guide
(_)Soap Opera Digest
(_)Gun World

___ Number of times you've seen a UFO
___ Number of times you've seen Elvis
___ Number of times you've seen Elvis in a UFO

How often do you bathe:
(_)Weekly
(_)Monthly
(_)Holidays
(_)Not Applicable

Color of teeth:
(_)Yellow
(_)Brownish-Yellow
(_)Brown
(_)Black
(_)No teeth
(_)N/A

Brand of chewing tobacco you prefer:
(_)Red-Man

How far is your home from a paved road?
(_)1 mile
(_)2 miles
(_)don't know
(_)can't get there from here

BUMPER STICKERS:
___ Eat more Possum
___ My other car is a piece of junk too
___ Honk if you love Jesus
___ If you ain't a cowboy, you ain't nothin'
___ Red-man Chewing Tobacco

Favorite Recreation: Check all that apply:
___ Square Dancin'
___ Possum Huntin'
___ Skinny Dippin'
___ Craw Daddin'
___ Gospel Singin'
___ 4-Wheelin'
___ Drankin'
___ Spittin' Backy ___ Bill Chip Trowin'
___ Honky Tonkin'
___ Noodlin'

# of Dogs: ___ Type: ___ Blue Tick ___ Beagle
___ Black & Tan ___ Bird Dawg

Cap Emblem: ___ John Deere ___ McCulloch Chain Saws
___ Budweiser ___ Vo-Tech
___ Skoal ___ Coors
___ NAPA ___ Smile if you're Not Wearing Underwear

Old 07-19-2007, 07:50 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,020,118 times
I have moved 23 times so it would take to long if I considered all of the places I have lived.
Because I have a Northeast accent here in northeast fla is probably why I get the "where are you from" question,I usually say "I spent many years in the Philly area and lived in NJ for 8 years before moving here15 years ago.
lol my husband can always tell when I have had a conversation with someone from back home. He will say "you were talking to someone from Philly/NJ today" I guess because my accent comes back stronger.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:50 AM

954 posts, read 2,486,161 times
.........."Upstate" New York..........if you've ever visited NY..you'll know why most upstaters add that to where they're from.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:54 AM

47 posts, read 149,669 times
Am orignally from ............. and now live ................

Old 07-22-2007, 03:20 PM

537 posts, read 1,933,508 times
I grew up in Chicago and we always said what Catholic school we went to. I live in WI now and I say northcentral WI. But about 5 years ago we were in southern WI and we stopped in a restaurant and the owner was from Chicago and I asked where and she named the Catholic school she went too.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:49 PM

656 posts, read 2,308,109 times
There are three levels:

In Northwest Ohio: Findlay
In Ohio, but outside NWO: Northwest Ohio. If they inquire futher, I tell them, but usually just leave it at that.
Out of state: Ohio

I find this flowchart works the smoothest, especially since I did a lot of trial and error in Manhattan. I even stopped using Detroit as a reference to my city as people on the east coast would say "I think so..." very unsure of themselves. It was a little frightening actually.

My friend however had the pleasure of having a waitress in Chicago ask him if Detroit was near Philly.

*Sigh*

Old 07-22-2007, 04:54 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,717,418 times
I just say DC - i don't feel like explaining where My town is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.